Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2018, 05:29 PM

9 posts, read 11,814 times

Advertisements

This post illustrates what the Bible is : a smorgasbord of EVERY teaching, pros and cons, all in there. You can cite words (sentences, paragraphs, stories, parables, etc.) to support your and everyone else's position. It is used to justify killings and it is used to justify loving. It is used to enslave and it is used to liberate. It is used to discriminate and it is used to help. Some used it for personal gain and some used it to help others. The list can keep on going. You get the gist. Amazing collection of ideas, stories and exhortations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 05:33 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I agree, I guess the OP isn't among the group who actually studied the bible before attacking Christianity specifically.
And I guess you are not amongst those (Including jeff, here) who not only don't read the Bible but don't read posts.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:57 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,594,064 times
well, we will see if they use the same logic when an atheist gets killed by theist that don't want to listen to them.

I doubt it though.

we will see when it comes time for us to protect our borders if they will say "yeah, they had a right to kill them for trying to force their way in" and then be happy about it. actually cheering for it.

again I doubt it.

Understanding the reason this man died is one thing. Openly cheering for it is another. i don't care what people believe, cheering for this is not how I roll.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:01 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,821,441 times
I feel badly for this young man and his family. I don't like the idea of missionaries as I think people have their own beliefs and should be left alone with those beliefs. But it saddens me that this young man felt that this was what his god required him to do. When we were Christians decades ago and very, very young, DH and I put ourselves in very dangerous situations and circumstances, believing that our god would protect us. We did it out of ignorance and unbridled naivete thinking we were fulfilling the great commission. I have a precious niece who just returned from a missionary trip, and although I'm not a Christian now, it would have broken my heart had anything happened to her.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:24 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,327,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
While I think John Chau was an idiot...

We really don't need a dedicated thread starting with such a negative tone in the religious subforum... boarder line trolling
We already have mods, thank you.

If you're looking to be a mod, why not send a PM to one of them and ask.

But until I see your name in red, myself - and no doubt many others - really don't need to be told what to post and where. You're just another member here.

Either contribute to the discusion or click off and go somewhere else.

You're welcome to everyone else on behalf of someone who isn't particularly fond of mod impersonators.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimSun2018 View Post
This post illustrates what the Bible is : a smorgasbord of EVERY teaching, pros and cons, all in there. You can cite words (sentences, paragraphs, stories, parables, etc.) to support your and everyone else's position. It is used to justify killings and it is used to justify loving. It is used to enslave and it is used to liberate. It is used to discriminate and it is used to help. Some used it for personal gain and some used it to help others. The list can keep on going. You get the gist. Amazing collection of ideas, stories and exhortations.
Someone once said: "The Bible is like a human being- torture it long enough and you can get it to say anything."

Yep.

Just so.

This is why I stay out of those debates regarding: "Well this verse actually mean this even though most people believe it means that." Or ... "This is what it says in ancient Greek"

Old 11-26-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
No thread on CD is going to having any impact on the wider christian community.
The idea is that other people are undoubtedly posting similar posts on forums all across the internet.

This thread on this forum attempts to provide discussion on the subject in this forum for the people here.

If everyone adopted you atittude, no one would post about it anywhere, each thinking that their little section of the internet isn't worth bothering with.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:42 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I feel badly for this young man and his family. I don't like the idea of missionaries as I think people have their own beliefs and should be left alone with those beliefs. But it saddens me that this young man felt that this was what his god required him to do. When we were Christians decades ago and very, very young, DH and I put ourselves in very dangerous situations and circumstances, believing that our god would protect us. We did it out of ignorance and unbridled naivete thinking we were fulfilling the great commission. I have a precious niece who just returned from a missionary trip, and although I'm not a Christian now, it would have broken my heart had anything happened to her.
That is very interesting. Perhaps, faith can override fight or flight.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:53 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Someone once said: "The Bible is like a human being- torture it long enough and you can get it to say anything."

Yep.

Just so.

This is why I stay out of those debates regarding: "Well this verse actually mean this even though most people believe it means that." Or ... "This is what it says in ancient Greek"
Because you'd rather torture it and make it say what you want than to see what it actually says?

Old 11-26-2018, 07:12 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I agree. While i do feel for the young man and his family and others have taken chances for what they believed the had to do (Captain Scott of the Antarctic or those who dies on Everest) I'm not willing to see Christianity get credit for this rather than blame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality