Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2018, 01:29 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,630,557 times

Advertisements

you told me excitability that "its about how practical it is to you." false hope saving people is very practical.

again you talk out of both sides of your mouth. when it fits your sect of atheism ... its good. when it doesn't ... its bad.

just like a fundy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 01:48 PM

63,977 posts, read 40,262,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Just remember what you said, his heart is in the right place, and that is all that matters. That might come back and bite you. Unless you get to decide what is the right place. 😀
Any place devoid of love, kindness, compassion, mercy, and gentleness is NOT remotely the "right place."

Old 11-29-2018, 02:13 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,824,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Any place devoid of love, kindness, compassion, mercy, and gentleness is NOT remotely the "right place."
Oh he had all of that. We don't doubt it. His heart was in the right place. Trouble is, his head wasn't. That's always the trouble. His heart was in the right place, thanks to his religion, and he paid the price. His heart was in exactly right place, but the Sentinalenese feathered him generally, just to be sure.

His heart was indeed in the right place and i do feel for him and his. But if he has become a poster boy for religious stupidity, arrogance and disregard for 'worldly' values like Law or community health or "letting people believe what they like", blame religion as he has to become a propaganda item for irreligion in the religious battle, mainly to stop him being used as a propaganda item for the other side.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:17 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,072,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
They know the language? Then how have they been isolated and murderous towards all foreigners who are all unwelcome for 3,000 years?
Now I'm confused.
Based on the article, it seems as if the language is known.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:18 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,072,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
The irony is this coming from a man who can not read Koine Greek, and so does not know that is what he is doing.
Who doesn't read Greek?

Old 11-29-2018, 03:13 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,824,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Based on the article, it seems as if the language is known.
It seems not. One contact -party took along an Islander from nearby Andaman, but they couldn't understand each other. The language does not appear to be understood.

I don't blame you - the article does make the claim "and studying at a respected linguistic institute in order to learn this previously undocumented language." There was one peaceful contact, on film. You can see the Sentinelanese being quite chummy with the visitors, climbing about in the boats. Probably the words they used were transcribed, if not understood, and maybe, Chau went to see what words were known, though they wouldn't have helped him much. Possibly a greeting. A few basic words; "Boat", "Food", "Money", "Women". Not much more than that.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-29-2018 at 03:29 PM..

Old 11-29-2018, 03:30 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,616,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ok View Post
You mean the real world where hopeless people are commiting sucide in record numbers? This guy may have been foolish in his actions, but his heart was in the right place and that's what matters.
Seems to me this guy found a loophole in how to kill himself and still get to those golden streets of heaven.

Old 11-29-2018, 03:35 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,344,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It seems not. One contact -party took along an Islander from nearby Andaman, but they couldn't understand each other. The language does not appear to be understood.

I don't blame you - the article does make the claim "and studying at a respected linguistic institute in order to learn this previously undocumented language." There was one peaceful contact, on film. You can see the Sentinelanese being quite chummy with the visitors, climbing about in the boats. Probably the words they used were transcribed, if not understood, and maybe, Chau went to see what words were known, though they wouldn't have helped him much. Possibly a greeting. A few basic words; "Boat", "Food", "Money", "Women". Not much more than that.
Also they used the nearby island term for coconuts.

Either the language was not know to the outside world or it was wemm known enough for Chau to have learnt it. I thought his diary had stated that on his second encounter he yelled back words he hear from the first and they laughed at him.

Old 11-29-2018, 03:54 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,015,014 times
There appears to be some conspiracy theories that the Missionary may still be alive!

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/lat...be-still-alive

Somehow I doubt it, and that he is not now learning Sentinelese and preaching the Good News.
A very foolish mistake made by the this young man, considering the history there. (the last 2 illegal Indian fishermen who strayed onto the shores were killed in 2006)

Old 11-29-2018, 03:58 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,015,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Interesting take on things.

I was thinking that the missionary got done in because he kept on disobeying God. He made how many attempts to land on that island and got driven away? That was God telling him not to go there. Then finally God said; "For you disobedience, I will let you suffer the consequence!"

The Quran teaches us not to force our will on others? Really? It seems at odds with news reports coming out of some parts of the world. Would you be so kind as to show us where it teaches this?

P.S. I puzzle over why missionaries were so hell bent on spreading "The word". Wasn't it accepted that if someone did not know about the 'word of God' they would not go to hell? So why in heaven's name tell them?
I have seen Evangelical Christians argue that these people (and other uncontacted peoples) should have heard about the Word anyway, and that God would have already revealed Himself to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality