Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2018, 08:02 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
It was close old thing. It was only after I threatened to send a gunboat that they released me...damned Johnny Foreigner!
That was your request, was it? I wondered what it was wanted for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 11:45 AM

3,802 posts, read 2,997,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
For all anyone knows, they could be Jews....

Killing anyone on sight that arrives on the island does not sound very Jewish, with all due respect to the Jewish faith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Jesus did Not forget, but people forget that Mark chapter 16 ends at verse 8.
After verse 8 the style of writing changes showing Mark ends at Mark 16:8.
Both Jerome and Eusebius believed Mark ended at verse 8.
Ancient manuscripts such as the Sinaitic and the Vatican 1209 omit the verses after verse 8.
Before verse 8 there are corresponding cross-references to other Scriptures, which after verse 8 there is Not.
So, the King James Version adding those spurious verses is Not part of the original writings.

Remember: Jesus said to be cautious. seems John Chau was Not being cautious.
I wonder if those natives speak English, or did Chau speak to them in their native language.
Chau would not have been able to speak to them in their native language, because nobody else in the world speaks Sentilese bar them.
There is no way on earth the natives spoke English either.
And yes they were forgotten, just like many native peoples.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:44 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Chau would not have been able to speak to them in their native language, because nobody else in the world speaks Sentilese bar them.
There is no way on earth the natives spoke English either.
And yes they were forgotten, just like many native peoples.
If Chau knew they would Not understand English, then at least I would think he would have learned to express his greeting in their own mother tongue or native language.

I would like to add ' seemingly ' forgotten.
Today, due to modern technology, rapid Bible translation is possible so that people even in remote areas can have Scripture in their own mother tongue or native languages, so Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8 is now in its 'final phase' so to speak.
Remember the already dead Sentilese are covered by Romans 6:23,7. Death is the price tag that sin pays.
So, they will 'Not be forgotten in the resurrection' during Jesus' 1,000-year governmental rule over Earth begins.
Plus, remember the good news message about God's kingdom of Daniel 2:44 is for earth's 'nations'.
So, Matthew 24:14 is Not talking about each and every individual hearing the good news, after all there are new people being born each day.
Jesus, as judge, at the soon coming ' time of separation' to happen on Earth of Matthew 25:31-33,37,40 decides who are the figurative haughty goats or the humble sheep.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:00 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Jesus never promised quick rescues and superhero saves. If that's your idea of Jesus, then you can expect foolish conclusions on your end. The Bible in its entirety reflects a dangerous world, and short of heaven, that will never change. As detailed in the Bible, that is also not an issue.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:22 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Jesus did Not forget, but people forget that Mark chapter 16 ends at verse 8.
After verse 8 the style of writing changes showing Mark ends at Mark 16:8.
Both Jerome and Eusebius believed Mark ended at verse 8.
Ancient manuscripts such as the Sinaitic and the Vatican 1209 omit the verses after verse 8.
Before verse 8 there are corresponding cross-references to other Scriptures, which after verse 8 there is Not.
So, the King James Version adding those spurious verses is Not part of the original writings.

Remember: Jesus said to be cautious. seems John Chau was Not being cautious.
I wonder if those natives speak English, or did Chau speak to them in their native language.
I think you're getting at Mike555's point that Jesus doesn't promise protection for his followers. Mark 16:9-20 presents a gargantuan problem for the "The Bible is inerrant" crowd. Mark 16:9-20 is an errancy so the Bible is not the perfect word of God. But the other problem is that in numerous places in the Bible Jesus does promise protection to those that follow him. I've listed them elsewhere but you probably missed it. These promises would cover the apostles when they went out on their mission:

Quote:
But the Lord is faithful, and he will strengthen you and protect you from the evil one. 2 Thessalonians 3:3
Quote:
says the LORD. “I will protect them from those who malign them.†Psalm 12:5
Quote:
You preserve my life. With your right hand you save me. Psalm 138:7
Quote:
“I called to the LORD, who is worthy of praise, and have been saved from my enemies. 2 Samuel 22:4
John Chau wrote in his diary, "God, I don't want to die". God promised to protect him. He called on God/Jesus to protect him and God/Jesus was nowhere to be found to keep his promise to John Chau. Explain that.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:53 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
If Chau knew they would Not understand English, then at least I would think he would have learned to express his greeting in their own mother tongue or native language.

I would like to add ' seemingly ' forgotten.
Today, due to modern technology, rapid Bible translation is possible so that people even in remote areas can have Scripture in their own mother tongue or native languages, so Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8 is now in its 'final phase' so to speak.
Remember the already dead Sentilese are covered by Romans 6:23,7. Death is the price tag that sin pays.
So, they will 'Not be forgotten in the resurrection' during Jesus' 1,000-year governmental rule over Earth begins.
Plus, remember the good news message about God's kingdom of Daniel 2:44 is for earth's 'nations'.
So, Matthew 24:14 is Not talking about each and every individual hearing the good news, after all there are new people being born each day.
Jesus, as judge, at the soon coming ' time of separation' to happen on Earth of Matthew 25:31-33,37,40 decides who are the figurative haughty goats or the humble sheep.
Apart from a couple of words ("coconut" for example) the language of those Islanders is not understood or known (except by them, of course). Chau presumably expected that God would work some miracle for him. But of course, God only works the sort of miracles that might occur if he wasn't there at all - like providing these stone age living fossils with metal -tipped arrows to make sure they did a good job of taking him and his mission down.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:23 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Interesting take on things.

I was thinking that the missionary got done in because he kept on disobeying God. He made how many attempts to land on that island and got driven away? That was God telling him not to go there. Then finally God said; "For you disobedience, I will let you suffer the consequence!"

The Quran teaches us not to force our will on others? Really? It seems at odds with news reports coming out of some parts of the world. Would you be so kind as to show us where it teaches this?

P.S. I puzzle over why missionaries were so hell bent on spreading "The word". Wasn't it accepted that if someone did not know about the
'word of God' they would not go to hell? So why in heaven's name tell them?
We are taught their blood is on our hands if we don't. 'Our' way (I don't believe it) is that everyone will have the chance to hear of Jesus in part because we are commanded to tell them. So when I asked what about some remote village in Afghanistan ? Someone is supposed to go there and tell them, though I would think that would get one killed as well.

That Two cups of Tea guy wasn't going to spread the 'Good News', but he risked his life to go and build schools. He did buck the Taliban on girls attending. Through a LOT of negotiating. Carefully. I don't think he could have negotiated to spread the Good News of Jesus.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:27 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
NO, he followed what his convictions were. He did not force his belief on anyone. He peacefully went there, after learning the language, and attempted to contact them.
? No one knows their language. He sought to live among them and learn it. No idea how he thought that was possible.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:22 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
NO, he followed what his convictions were. He did not force his belief on anyone. He peacefully went there, after learning the language, and attempted to contact them.
Tell me, how did he learn the language?...

Old 12-05-2018, 06:25 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I think you're getting at Mike555's point that Jesus doesn't promise protection for his followers. Mark 16:9-20 presents a gargantuan problem for the "The Bible is inerrant" crowd. Mark 16:9-20 is an errancy so the Bible is not the perfect word of God. But the other problem is that in numerous places in the Bible Jesus does promise protection to those that follow him. I've listed them elsewhere but you probably missed it. These promises would cover the apostles when they went out on their mission:

John Chau wrote in his diary, "God, I don't want to die". God promised to protect him. He called on God/Jesus to protect him and God/Jesus was nowhere to be found to keep his promise to John Chau. Explain that.
How did they recover his diary?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality