Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe humans are a part of nature?
Yes 43 86.00%
No 7 14.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 08:15 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times

Advertisements

Can anyone really believe that we are not part of Nature ? Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 08:20 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IbeDavid View Post
REPLY: Well Sir, God-LESSNESS at its core is in fact responsible for HIV, Drug useage, STD's and all the other societal vices ; they come about from atheist fallout of people feeling and believing that there is no purpose, meaning, dignity to thier lives so they turn to hedonism, heathenism, narcissism, and forms of nihlism .. for thats what happens when you are forcefed such absurd philosophies that your ancient ancestor was nothing but accidental Pond Scum and ones life is ultimately meaningless. This absurdity is one of the most destructive plauging mankind , but it does offer what the atheist truly wants : A liberal mindset which affords entitlement and complete autonomy to do, act, think, talk, and live as one pleases putting SELF first which has to require willful pride never to admit a personal Theistic Creator has to exist for the personal universe we have (I use the word 'admit' because every athiest knows there is this personal Creator but pride and willful ignorance must be maintained ; in essence, there is no such thing as 'an atheist' --- only people who pretend and make smokescreens to help justify thier lifestyle choices ,ergo , making thier entire life one of denial ). I considered myself 'an atheist' for 10+ years so im quite familiar with the psychology behind it ; I had to abandon it after the guilt and untruthfullness associated with the self deception of making myself 'god' instead of giving honor and praise to the real God in whos image we were made. Its up to you how you want to handle it , but youll never find what your true ultimate purpose in living is unless youre willing to sacrifice your pride ; some can but many wont. Regards. End.
Oh i get it, you must really be an atheist posing for a super idiot. Haha funny

Old 04-07-2008, 08:21 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,450,678 times
If you enjoyed Henry Beston's Outermost House, you should also like Anne Morrow Lindbergh's Gift from the Sea. Reading her short work was much like spending a lovely afternoon, seaside, and finding delight in the peace that comes from being there on the shore.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:26 AM

321 posts, read 920,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
One of the most famous books on nature is The Outermost House by Henry Beston. It is about the author’s sojourn in a small isolated cottage (the "Fo’castle") at the end of the dunes on the great beach of Cape Cod. The book is filled with the most evocative descriptions of nature; and in the first edition published in 1928 there are haunting photographs of shipwrecks and seabirds. The book comes closest to defining man’s place in the natural wold. Here are a few quotes from this wonderful book:

"We need another and wiser and perhaps a more mystical concept of animals. Remote from universal nature, and living by complicated artifice, man in civilization surveys the creature through the glass of his knowledge and sees thereby a feather magnified and the whole image in distortion. We patronize them for their incompleteness, for their tragic fate of having taken a form so far below ourselves. And therein we err, and greatly err. For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with extension of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
. . .

"During the months that have passed since that September morning some have asked me what understanding of Nature one shapes from so strange a year? I would answer that one’s first appreciation is a sense that creation is still going on, that the creative forces are as great and as active to-day as they have ever been, and that to-morrow’s morning will be as heroic as any of the world. Creation is here and now. So near is man to the creative pageant, so much a part is he of the endless and incredible experiment, that any glimpse he may have will be but the revelation of a moment, a solitary note in a symphony thundering through debatable existences of time. Poetry is as necessary to comprehension as science. It is impossible to live without reverence as it is without joy."
. . .

"Whatever attitude to human existence you fashion for yourself, know that it is valid only if it be the shadow of an attitude to Nature. A human life, so often likened to a spectacle upon a stage, is more justly a ritual. The ancient values of dignity, beauty, and poetry which sustain it are of Nature’s inspiration; they are born of the mystery and beauty of the world. Do no dishonour to the earth lest you dishonour the spirit of man. Hold your hands out over the earth as over a flame. To all who love her, who open to her the doors of their veins, she gives of her strength, sustaining them with her own measureless tremor of dark life. Touch the earth, love the earth, honour the earth, her plains, her valleys, her hills, and her seas; rest your spirit in her solitary places. For the gifts of life are the earth’s and they are given to all, and they are the songs of birds at daybreak, Orion and the Bear, and the dawn seen over the ocean from the beach."

- Henry Beston, The Outermost House (1928)
Nice stuff! Thanks Wendell! I'm going to have to check out this book.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:32 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IbeDavid View Post
REPLY: Well Sir, God-LESSNESS at its core is in fact responsible for HIV, Drug useage, STD's and all the other societal vices ; they come about from atheist fallout of people feeling and believing that there is no purpose, meaning, dignity to thier lives so they turn to hedonism, heathenism, narcissism, and forms of nihlism .. for thats what happens when you are forcefed such absurd philosophies that your ancient ancestor was nothing but accidental Pond Scum and ones life is ultimately meaningless. This absurdity is one of the most destructive plauging mankind , but it does offer what the atheist truly wants : A liberal mindset which affords entitlement and complete autonomy to do, act, think, talk, and live as one pleases putting SELF first which has to require willful pride never to admit a personal Theistic Creator has to exist for the personal universe we have (I use the word 'admit' because every athiest knows there is this personal Creator but pride and willful ignorance must be maintained ; in essence, there is no such thing as 'an atheist' --- only people who pretend and make smokescreens to help justify thier lifestyle choices ,ergo , making thier entire life one of denial ). I considered myself 'an atheist' for 10+ years so im quite familiar with the psychology behind it ; I had to abandon it after the guilt and untruthfullness associated with the self deception of making myself 'god' instead of giving honor and praise to the real God in whos image we were made. Its up to you how you want to handle it , but youll never find what your true ultimate purpose in living is unless youre willing to sacrifice your pride ; some can but many wont. Regards. End.
Do you actually believe some of the stuff you type?

1. Nobody believes we came from pond scum. That is just crazy. Only religious people who want to discredit science make such dumb statements. Spontaneous generation is impossible. Scientists have proved that. Something can't come from nothing.

2. Atheism has nothing to do with arrogance. To think so is just idiocy. I don't think of myself as superior to anyone. I don't believe in your god because there is no evidence for it.

3. Atheism and liberalism are not connected. I'm not a liberal.

4. To think people turn to atheism to do bad things is laughable. I have never been in jail. Never committed any crimes. Immorality exists in people of all faiths (and lack of).

5. There are many real atheists. There is no such thing as an "atheist psychology". No two atheists are alike. Remember, you only "considered" yourself an atheist. It doesn't mean you actually were an atheist. The idea that people actually believe but have too much pride to admit it is laughable. Could you be that closed-minded to think that not believing is impossible?

Old 04-07-2008, 04:09 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
IbeDavid wrote:
Quote:
Its no wonder that atheism brings with it immorality, destruction, no purpose, no meaning, no dignity toward the entire human race presently, and in ages past.
Oh great! Another atheist hater. I see you're relatively new but there's alot of us atheists on the forum and from everything I can tell about the ones I've either gotten to know online or have read many of their posts, they seem to be leading productive and worthwhile lives. We also generally get along very well with our religious counterparts. Atheists and religious people have the same kind of flaws as well as their good points, none of us are perfect. We just happen to disagree about whether or not a God exists in this universe that we're living in. I don't believe there is but I have morals and values and care about other people despite that fact.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:43 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahteist2 View Post
Lets not forget we have always had sociopaths, and they kill for fun.
And you tend NOT to find sociopathic behavior in the "natural" world.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:24 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Oh yes you do, with humans. They're part of the natural world.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:01 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
May I suggest Biology 101 for those who do not consider humans ( Homo Sapiens-Sapiens, of the Hominidae family/ Bipedal Primate and Mammalian) part of our Natural world ?!?!?!?

Have I inadvertently stumbled upon a different planet or are some people REALLY inferring this ?
I must lead such a sheltered life not to even grasp that concept.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:14 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
No, you read it right here on CD. Hard to believe, isn't it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality