Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2019, 12:44 AM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I agree that the progression from 'hydrogen' as you say to a pet-keeping man is impressive, but a general evolutionary explanation makes the need to assert an Intelligent designer really needless.
Your unwillingness to acknowledge the completely qualitative uniqueness of intelligence itself from hydrogen or anything else we can measure in the Standard Model or in the periodic table is why you can pretend to believe in the evolution of intelligence from dead inert matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 01:26 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,263,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
GoCardinals doesn't want to understand. If he did he would be over on the science forum asking questions and getting his backside kicked, where the subject can be discuss, rather than here where it can't. No, for GC it's much more comfortable to keep away from experts that could wipe the floor with him and stay here repeating 'God dunnit and you can't prove otherwise'.
Exactly! All of the posters here who are anti-science or not literate in science but who blast science, you'll never find them in the science forum. NEVER, no matter how many times we suggest they hop over there and post their science disputes. LOL I would love to see that happen.

Any takers? I'll be happy to meet you over in the Science forum!

Old 01-30-2019, 03:37 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your unwillingness to acknowledge the completely qualitative uniqueness of intelligence itself from hydrogen or anything else we can measure in the Standard Model or in the periodic table is why you can pretend to believe in the evolution of intelligence from dead inert matter.
Your selective memory yet again forgets that I explained to you several times the causal chain of evolution in enough detail to eliminate the need for any god. You have a point in the remarkable jump to human mentality - I have never denied that as one of the three best arguments that Theistic evolution has. but that does not invalidate the evolution sequence in both the biological and broader sense. Your absurd pointing to the periodic table and saying there is nothing to measure intelligence there is so much fluff which will fool nobody.

Quote:
GoCardinals doesn't want to understand. If he did he would be over on the science forum asking questions and getting his backside kicked, where the subject can be discuss, rather than here where it can't. No, for GC it's much more comfortable to keep away from experts that could wipe the floor with him and stay here repeating 'God dunnit and you can't prove otherwise'.
It is remarkable that the Believers want to debate evolution with us but never with biological experts on the science forum.

Luckily, we have one expert at least, here. Take a bow, Matadora.

Old 01-30-2019, 03:51 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Well, there is a convincing case (I gave two examples) for animal parts indeed proving poor design, or rather no planned design but a design that arose through evolution. It is not good enough to suggest that an Intelligence could not have done it better. We could have done it better ourselves.

I agree that the progression from 'hydrogen' as you say to pet-keeping man is impressive, but a geneal evolutionary explanation makes the need to assert an Intelligent designer really needless.

They won't do that. It is never necessary for the argument from incredulity to explain How God dunnit, only to say that it mustha -dunnit.
I only say that evolution is working the way it does because the biosphere is life. I list the seven attributes of life and the biosphere does every one but "reproduce as a whole". But it certainly reproduces.

that's all I ever claimed trans. I say the surface of this planet "looks alive more than it looks inanimate".

I offered "Life", or more precisely "homeostasis" for the mechanism pf evolution. I made a claim with an explanation, mechanism, predictions, and is repeated.

I climbed the connections to life around us is what people are misrepresenting as "god". But that some of the attributes of life are present.

That's all i ever claimed.

You offer as a counter argument "It doesn't matter anyway". You offered "I don't know so I am waiting". You offered "You're not a real atheist". you offered "ok, but don't needlessly give that to religious as a springboard. You offered "I don't know that teck stuff."

not the exact words, but it is close enough.

why can't we talk about how the universe works independent of how you feel about religious people? Why can't they have some things correct, like love, compassion and understanding". A metaphorical "spitrual shift" in people, I call paradigm shift"?

Old 01-30-2019, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
not totally mystic.

We say that "the completely qualitative uniqueness of intelligence itself" is based on the standard model.

Because, although incomplete, its all we have.

Where I differ from atheist sects like trans is that I see us in the middle of a sea of "hydrogen interactions". Due to QM, basically, we are quantum computed" by the universe. (see the definition of "computers" if we don't know what that means.)

I just don't understand why they have to deny it based ona feeling about religion or deny it because they don't know it? or say things like "Yeah, whatever, there is no god."

I don't get that.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:08 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Mystic, I will gladly leave you to cope with that. Including the wand -waving of Quantum.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Mystic, I will gladly leave you to cope with that. Including the wand -waving of Quantum.
There are a gazillion scientist looking into it. because you don't get it doesn't mean that the phrase "deny everything god" done it god should be tossed at it. from lasers to the newer field of quantum biology, its a real claim.

You use of the words "wand waving" is a minimization tactic you are using to spread you personal agenda and it is not based on what I am saying.

What you called "wand waving" produced cells phones. what does your claim make?

what does your dagma of "don't give them any kind of spring board" produce?

Old 01-30-2019, 05:15 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
Maybe he does want to understand. The Science forum is here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/science-technology/

If GoCardinals wants to know about cell structure, planetary orbits, or gravity, that would be the place to go. Evolution, the Big Bang, and the expansion of the Universe are also appropriate topics there.

This is where we talk about Religion and Spirituality. Over there, they talk about Science and
Technology
. Science is not something a person believes in. It is something that one understands (or not). Religion is something people believe in (or not). If you don't understand Science, don't try to turn it into a religion. Go to the Science forum and ask questions.

That is why we post reminders from time to time when we have had enough Science here to make a point so we can get back to talking about Religion and Spirituality.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:26 AM

yeah, exactly ... if you don't understand the science don't call it a whoo whoo wand to promote a statement of belief about god.

especially when experimental physics are actually doing things with it.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:26 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Exactly! All of the posters here who are anti-science or not literate in science but who blast science, you'll never find them in the science forum. NEVER, no matter how many times we suggest they hop over there and post their science disputes.
Makes one wonder why that is huh? The only clear answer is that they simply don't know enough about what they argue cannot be the case. They work on faith not verifiable evidence, so they don't go there because they know that their minuscule level of scientific knowledge, (clearly derived from websites like Answers in Genesis and woefully wrong) would get blown out of the water within five minutes...or less. So much for their 'faith'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality