Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 09:32 PM

10,755 posts, read 5,672,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I am referring to the statement that those who reject the Baptism after death go to the Terrestrial Kingdom. That doesn't seem to square with what I posted from an LDS source. What I posted seems to clearly say they go to Telestial.
Your link above for the LDS.org website accurately portrays the doctrinal position of the church on this subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 04:01 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
But you will again notice that you are being criticized for your harshness on the topic of Mormonism.
yup, you're judging him based on how you feel and not what he is saying. you stated you will side with "whatever" if you feel they are being "attacked" and not what the actual claim is.

lmao ... yeah, you got what it takes. and everybody around you will be forced to learn your emotional state, and no other, determines validity ... one way or another.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:47 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,059,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The more I see Mormons attacked, the more I like them. They must have great character to tolerate what they do.
If Religion was Texas Law Enforcement, the LDS would be their most highly decorated Rangers. The Rangers were so capable, usually it only took one to handle a huge debacle, this is the origin behind the phrase "One Riot, One Ranger".

Adapted/Adopted might translate...

"One Mess, One Mormon"...

Old 02-11-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
If Religion was Texas Law Enforcement, the LDS would be their most highly decorated Rangers. The Rangers were so capable, usually it only took one to handle a huge debacle, this is the origin behind the phrase "One Riot, One Ranger".

Adapted/Adopted might translate...

"One Mess, One Mormon"...
This is hillarious. Non-Mormons who don’t understand the doctrine, declaring that Mormons have won a “battle” on doctrinal issues, when nothing of the sort has happened.

Case in point. . . Katzpur has declared that Mormons DON’T believe that only Mormons will go to the Celestial kingdom. Whether or not Mormons “believe” that is irrelevant. The relevant point is that that is EXACTLY what Mormon doctrine says. Going to the Celestial Kingdom is conditioned upon being baptized in the Mormon church, with the baptism being performed by a Mormon - no other baptism will suffice. If one is not babtized as a Mormon during their lifetime, they will have the opportunity to accept Mormonism in the afterlife, and to accept a “proxy” baptism performed on their behalf by people still living (the Mormon practice of baptism for the dead).

The conclusion is irrefutable - to go to the Celestial Kingdom, one must be Mormon during this life, or one must “become” Mormon in the afterlife. If Katzpur and other Mormons DON’T believe this, I’d be very curious to hear how they reconcile their beliefs with the very clear doctrine of the church.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:59 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post

St. Peter: I'm sorry, I can't let you in. You're LDS.
Person: What? I'm not LDS. Check your records again.
St. Peter: Oh yeah, I see. You were baptized by proxy by your great-great-great granddaughter, but you chose to reject the baptism. Well, good for you! Welcome to Heaven, my friend.
This is not true. Under Mormon doctrine one may not reject the Baptism and go to 'Heaven'. (Celestial Kingdom).

As Tax said, no one should be deciding whether to 'believe' me or her or Katz or anyone on here. I posted the links many times regarding what happens to people who reject the Baptism in life and after death. From LDS sites, not anti-Mormon sites.

The same link describes who will go to the Celestial Kingdom and what they must do to get there. It's a short instruction page, not like a novel one has to read.

https://www.lds.org/manual/doctrines...ition?lang=eng

The Lord has prescribed requirements for eternal life in the celestial kingdom.

We must receive the testimony of Jesus, be baptized, receive the Holy Ghost, and keep the commandments (see D&C 76:51–52).

We must overcome all things by faith and be sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise (see D&C 76:53, 60).

We must comply with the new and everlasting covenant of marriage (see D&C 131:1–3)

Old 02-11-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
This is not true. Under Mormon doctrine one may not reject the Baptism and go to 'Heaven'. (Celestial Kingdom).

As Tax said, no one should be deciding whether to 'believe' me or her or Katz or anyone on here. I posted the links many times regarding what happens to people who reject the Baptism in life and after death. From LDS sites, not anti-Mormon sites.

The same link describes who will go to the Celestial Kingdom and what they must do to get there. It's a short instruction page, not like a novel one has to read.

https://www.lds.org/manual/doctrines...ition?lang=eng

The Lord has prescribed requirements for eternal life in the celestial kingdom.

We must receive the testimony of Jesus, be baptized, receive the Holy Ghost, and keep the commandments (see D&C 76:51–52).

We must overcome all things by faith and be sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise (see D&C 76:53, 60).

We must comply with the new and everlasting covenant of marriage (see D&C 131:1–3)

Wrong pronoun.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:08 PM

(The new and everlasting covenant of marriage is the 'Temple marriage' that seals for eternity, not just for time on earth. This must be done during life or by proxy after death to enter 'Heaven' (Celestial Kingdom) in addition to being Baptized in the manner prescribed by Mormon doctrine).

This is in part where polygamy in the temple comes in. If I were a Mormon, sealed for eternity to my husband, and I were to die and he takes another wife. She would also be sealed to him w/o unsealing me. Unsealing me would mean that I could not be in the Celestial Kingdom. So wife number two has to be in a polygamous spirit marriage if she wants this man to take her to the CK. Her alternative is to forego the CK or find a Priesthood Holder who does not have a sealing to another woman. But that is no guarantee that there won't be another.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Wrong pronoun.
Poopy! I am sorry about that. I got you confused with another poster who stated she is a woman.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
(The new and everlasting covenant of marriage is the 'Temple marriage' that seals for eternity, not just for time on earth. This must be done during life or by proxy after death to enter 'Heaven' (Celestial Kingdom) in addition to being Baptized in the manner prescribed by Mormon doctrine).

This is in part where polygamy in the temple comes in. If I were a Mormon, sealed for eternity to my husband, and I were to die and he takes another wife. She would also be sealed to him w/o unsealing me. Unsealing me would mean that I could not be in the Celestial Kingdom. So wife number two has to be in a polygamous spirit marriage if she wants this man to take her to the CK. Her alternative is to forego the CK or find a Priesthood Holder who does not have a sealing to another woman. But that is no guarantee that there won't be another.
To be fair, this has been addressed by the Mormon church. Details aren't provided, and I'm not sure that anyone actually knows the details, but the church has been pretty consistent in stating that there is/will be a mechanism by which a woman in that situation could attain the Celestial kingdom.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
To be fair, this has been addressed by the Mormon church. Details aren't provided, and I'm not sure that anyone actually knows the details, but the church has been pretty consistent in stating that there is/will be a mechanism by which a woman in that situation could attain the Celestial kingdom.
My understanding if that were my hypothetical husband in this scenario were to request to be unsealed from me he would not be given permission to. If I were alive and wanted the unsealing so that I could get sealed to another PH, that would work because then I am not left w/o one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality