Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 09:57 AM
nng nng started this thread

695 posts, read 289,455 times

Advertisements

Hi just want to share what mormons believe. I grew up in Mormonism until I was 13 yrs old. Mormons believe that Mormon women should ideally have as many children as they can afford and take care of. Having lots of Mormon babies and raising them in the church is the ideal in Mormonism. Mothers with babies and small children should stay home and raise them according to Mormonism. In Mormonism If you do not get married in the temple and have kids within a Mormon marriage, then you cannot be a god once you experience the afterlife. If you are just a righteous single Mormon who doesn't marry in the temple, you get to be an angel in the afterlife. Even though i was raised in the Mormon church, I never really accepted those teachings. I wasnt brainwashed, and I don't believe in Mormonism. I am an asexual woman, so I could never do what is expected in Mormonism. My dad is pretty open minded, so he let me stop going to church at 13 yrs old. I guess the positive thing about Mormonism is it is somewhat more liberal than other Christian denominations like Catholicism. Moderator edit: Abortion is a topic for the Politics forum, not here. I don't think birth control is considered evil like what the Catholic Church says. One positive thing about me growing up in Mormon church is that I never heard in Sunday school that homosexuals are deviants or anything like that. In Sunday school, they never even mentioned homosexuals or homosexuality from what I remember. But the first part of church service is like 4 hours long. So boring. I loved that my dad let me stop going to church. I also went to the Mormon temple a few times to do baptisms for the dead.

Last edited by mensaguy; 02-04-2019 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: Removed remark about abortion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 10:21 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nng View Post

Mormons believe that Mormon women should ideally have as many children as they can afford and take care of. Having lots of Mormon babies and raising them in the church is the ideal in Mormonism. Mothers with babies and small children should stay home and raise them according to Mormonism.
So if I connect the two dots, Mormons raise their kids according to Mormonism belief. And that belief is, have as many kids as you can have. What’s the problem?

Old 02-04-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
So if I connect the two dots, Mormons raise their kids according to Mormonism belief. And that belief is, have as many kids as you can have. What’s the problem?
People are free to believe whatever they want to believe, and do what they want to do as long as they are not harming others... I just don't believe in Mormonism and never have even though I did attend Mormon church for years... I just don't like the one size fits all approach of Mormonism... not all women desire kids or marriage... and to sell one lifestyle to women and men when there are people with different temperaments and aspirations is just foolish. But the Mormons and Mormon church can do whatever they want to do. I am not stopping them. I just wanted to explain the fundamental Mormon beliefs. Thought it might be an interesting discussion 😎

Old 02-04-2019, 10:42 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
...I also went to the Mormon temple a few times to do baptisms for the dead.
This is the Mormon practice that I disagree with more than anything else.

P.S. -- My home town -- Palmyra, NY

Old 02-04-2019, 10:57 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
People are free to believe whatever they want to believe, and do what they want to do as long as they are not harming others... I just don't believe in Mormonism and never have even though I did attend Mormon church for years... I just don't like the one size fits all approach of Mormonism... not all women desire kids or marriage... and to sell one lifestyle to women and men when there are people with different temperaments and aspirations is just foolish. But the Mormons and Mormon church can do whatever they want to do. I am not stopping them. I just wanted to explain the fundamental Mormon beliefs. Thought it might be an interesting discussion 😎
Yes, I agree. Everyone should be free to make a choice as to how and what they want to do with their lives as long as it’s not hurting others.

Women who do not desire to get married and/or have kids, should be freely allowed to make their choices.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:37 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Hi just want to share what mormons believe. I grew up in Mormonism until I was 13 yrs old. Mormons believe that Mormon women should ideally have as many children as they can afford and take care of. Having lots of Mormon babies and raising them in the church is the ideal in Mormonism. Mothers with babies and small children should stay home and raise them according to Mormonism. In Mormonism If you do not get married in the temple and have kids within a Mormon marriage, then you cannot be a god once you experience the afterlife. If you are just a righteous single Mormon who doesn't marry in the temple, you get to be an angel in the afterlife. Even though i was raised in the Mormon church, I never really accepted those teachings.
You seem to be unable to distinguish between actual Church doctrine and popular opinion.

Quote:
I wasnt brainwashed, and I don't believe in Mormonism. I am an asexual woman, so I could never do what is expected in Mormonism. My dad is pretty open minded, so he let me stop going to church at 13 yrs old.
I'm glad your dad was open-minded and didn't force you to attend church. My son stopped attending at age 15, with my husband's and my permission.

Quote:
I guess the positive thing about Mormonism is it is somewhat more liberal than other Christian denominations like Catholicism. Moderator edit: Abortion is a topic for the Politics forum, not here. I don't think birth control is considered evil like what the Catholic Church says. One positive thing about me growing up in Mormon church is that I never heard in Sunday school that homosexuals are deviants or anything like that. In Sunday school, they never even mentioned homosexuals or homosexuality from what I remember. But the first part of church service is like 4 hours long. So boring. I loved that my dad let me stop going to church. I also went to the Mormon temple a few times to do baptisms for the dead.
There are actually a lot of positive things about Mormonism, along with some negative things. Church services, by the way, have never been four hours long, although I would agree that they sometimes seem like it. They have now been cut from three hours to two hours, and in case anybody out there may be imagining a three-hour worship service, the actual worship service (Sacrament Meeting) used to be 70 minutes long. There were also two shorter (50 minutes and 40 minutes) classroom study sessions.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:47 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Baptism of the dead, secret handshakes, secret oaths, secret rites, special holy "underwear" that they must wear most of the time, Jesus appearing in America, lost civilizations in America with no trace, buried golden plates that crazy man Joseph Smith supposedly translated, weird cosmic beliefs (populating planets with spirit children, the Planet Kolab) and tons of other weird shyt. Keeping things secret is the biggest key of all.

Founder Joseph Smith got killed by his own people. Nice.

There is a wealth of information and exposes on the internet from former members.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Baptism of the dead, secret handshakes, secret oaths, secret rites, special holy "underwear" that they must wear most of the time, Jesus appearing in America, lost civilizations in America with no trace, buried golden plates that crazy man Joseph Smith supposedly translated, weird cosmic beliefs (populating planets with spirit children, the Planet Kolab) and tons of other weird shyt. Keeping things secret is the biggest key of all.

There is a wealth of information and exposes on the internet from former members.
I believe Mormonism is false like every religion is. I think joe smith was a self righteous self important fraud. There is bizarre stuff in every religion I think

Old 02-04-2019, 04:23 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post

For someone who moans and groans when people criticize "mainstream" christianity, you're awfully good at criticizing a religion that is a bit different.

Where do you get the idea that Smith was killed by other Mormons? I'm not aware of that.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:28 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
For someone who moans and groans when people criticize "mainstream" christianity, you're awfully good at criticizing a religion that is a bit different.
You and I have already talked about this kind of logic. It falls into the "Well, that's different!" category.

Quote:
Where do you get the idea that Smith was killed by other Mormons? I'm not aware of that.
You're probably not aware of it because it's not how it happened.

Last edited by Katzpur; 02-04-2019 at 05:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality