Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 11:58 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

So when you see an atheist who writes an offensive post, maybe you ought ask why.

Just as when I see a christians post that's offensive, whether it be about religion or racism, I wonder why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 12:14 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So when you see an atheist who writes an offensive post, maybe you ought ask why.

Just as when I see a christians post that's offensive, whether it be about religion or racism, I wonder why.
Maybe the person should take the issue up with their parents, or whoever has hurt them, instead of taking potshots on the internet.
It's usually someone taking advantage of keyboard anonymity, or perhaps someone who's emotionally unstable.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:22 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Maybe the person should take the issue up with their parents, or whoever has hurt them, instead of taking potshots on the internet.
It's usually someone taking advantage of keyboard anonymity, or perhaps someone who's emotionally unstable.
Well, go and talk to your christian friends and suggest that to them.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, go and talk to your christian friends and suggest that to them.
Principal phet, the whole notion was your suggestion, perhaps you should take notice of the fingers pointing back to you instead of incessantly attempting to put the onus on the next fellow.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:58 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,601,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
The posts are always purposely offensive.
The devil works in mysterious ways.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:23 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I remember as a teen discussing with my mother the "Now I lay me down to sleep prayer" and saying how frightening it was for a kid to have to think about the possibility that they might die, and she made a good point. It wasn't that long ago that children regularly experienced the death of their siblings and friends, and so the prayer brought comfort in a time when diseases like diphtheria and polio came rolling through.

I just finished reading Isaac's Storm, about the 1900 hurricane that devastated Galveston. As a side note, the author mentions ads in the Galveston newspaper edition just before the storm, one of which was a funeral home advertising a set price for a white child's coffin and two white horses to pull the wagon with the coffin to the cemetery. Childhood death was common enough in 1900 to advertise such a deal.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:59 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
To be fair, kids make other kids cry over a lot of different things.
Oh, ok...then it's ok to emotionally scare them....that's fair.

We are the adults to teach kids not to bully and make others cry.

And .sparrow, I'm with you, that was rude and unnecessary.
And I'm also with phet..be responsible adults and I respect his job/principal experiences.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 02-19-2019 at 09:53 AM..

Old 02-19-2019, 09:05 AM

Yes, it was rude. But we know those that dish it cannot take an oz. of what they throw out without screaming for the lifeguard.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:18 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,907,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I am so angry.

I talked to my daughter last night and she relayed some instances to me that just highlights the horrible teachings of the Christian believers. We live in what I call the buckle of the bible belt, and one just can't avoid the magical and terror teachings of Christians.

Yes, terror teachings.

None of my family is religious, in fact, we are all atheists. I wear it on my sleeve, but my children are more diplomatic, as they have to work and interact with the religious. In fact, they are friends with some evangelicals. And that is the case with my 7 year old grandson; two of his best friends are from evangelical families.

Why crying himself to sleep? Because those friends, and it was not because they intended to be confrontational, keep telling him that he will go to hell because he, and his family, doesn't believe in God. He is terrified of what that means!

I am so very angry that the indoctrination of small children cause them to believe in hell, and even if out of innocence, they have caused my grandson to have nightmares and crying himself to sleep. I wish I could swear on here, I am that angry. What makes those religions, and parents, think they need to indoctrinate a child, a CHILD!, and that early age.

Now to be fair, my daughter contacted both of the parents. They were gracious, and both said they would talk to their children not to have religious discussions with my grandson. Good for them, and I appreciate that, and my anger is not at them directly, but at the infrastructure that religions are and that they promulgate this terror thinking.

Parents, if you are a believer, fine. Your frontal cortex is fully developed. But stop, I mean STOP, indoctrinating your children and terrorising by teaching them hell is a real thing. If you want to tell some bible stories, fine, but stop there. Stop in the deep dive. You are harming people you don't even know you are.

And I am still so very angry at this. My bright, innocent, loveable, sport minded, kind to all, grandson in terror of an imaginary place because of adults teaching their children it is real. I am just boiling.
All fundamentalist crazies who teach children this kind of crap should be lined up against a wall and.........tickled till they pee their pants. Well, what did you think I was going to say??????

I might do a thread about how Christianity has ruined and destroyed more lives than all the biological plagues ever visited on mankind.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:20 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Lol...so, basically the parents handled it & the kids are still friends?
This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality