Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2019, 11:42 AM

1,402 posts, read 478,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
You have a lucky elephant? Cool!

Well, I knew you all would tear my story to bits, since that's what you all do with anything that doesn't fit your paradigm. I only shared as I was asked to. I stated already that I can't explain why this happened, only shared what happened. I don't understand how this sort of thing happens any more than you do, but i do believe it happens. And I have never asked Jesus to find my car keys! You are just being facetious! This is exactly why I won't share my other story...it is very personal and I am not willing to have you rip my heart out for your online amusement. I respect your right not to believe as I do....I am beginning to feel though, that you are a cold-hearted bunch. A little kindness goes a long way.
Unicorn, you seem like a kind, open, sincere person, and we aren't all (maybe any of us) cold-hearted. I have no reason to doubt your story is true, and no desire to "tear to bits."

I think what people are responding to (in a way that you perceive as hurtful, unfortunately) is what they often see when something that happens is attributed to God or faith therein. There are an infinite number of POSSIBLE explanations for the good things that happened to you, in your example. Ranging from the alignment of the planets... to what color shirt you wore that day... to what color shirt *I* wore that day... to the butterfly beating its wings outside your house (causing the famous ripple effect)... to someone who loves you coming into some extra money... to anonymous benefactors taking an interest... to lucky rabbit's feet... to your dead ancestors watching over you... to pure random chance (... and on and on and on). To be sure, included in those millions of possibilities is the chance that a god was looking out for you. But in the absence of any evidence that would cause us to favor one of those reasons over another, they all remain just that... possible explanations. Some may seem far-fetched, but (if we're being honest with ourselves) no more so than an invisible, may-not-even-exist, supernatural father taking a personal interest in our well-being. Simple logic dictates that there is no good reason to fast forward past all those other reasons, and land squarely on "God knew I needed help and answered my prayers"... as the only possible explanation.

Again, that is not meant to be an attack, and it certainly doesn't give me amusement. Just trying to explain what might be underlying some of the responses to your heartfelt post.

Last edited by HeelaMonster; 04-10-2019 at 12:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 12:16 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Correct, but among the Christians, there are those who are wedded to the Bible instead of Jesus and they assume rejecting any of their "precepts and doctrines" about God is heresy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Now that's an interesting post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
You often have my respect in how you (attempt to) prove your point, but this sentence is just odd.
If either of you would please explain your reactions to my post because I am not very good at interpreting the responses of others.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:15 PM

10,091 posts, read 5,741,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
Unicorn, you seem like a kind, open, sincere person, and we aren't all (maybe any of us) cold-hearted. I have no reason to doubt your story is true, and no desire to "tear to bits."

I think what people are responding to (in a way that you perceive as hurtful, unfortunately) is what they often see when something that happens is attributed to God or faith therein. There are an infinite number of POSSIBLE explanations for the good things that happened to you, in your example. Ranging from the alignment of the planets... to what color shirt you wore that day... to what color shirt *I* wore that day... to the butterfly beating its wings outside your house (causing the famous ripple effect)... to someone who loves you coming into some extra money... to anonymous benefactors taking an interest... to lucky rabbit's feet... to your dead ancestors watching over you... to pure random chance (... and on and on and on). To be sure, included in those millions of possibilities is the chance that a god was looking out for you. But in the absence of any evidence that would cause us to favor one of those reasons over another, they all remain just that... possible explanations. Some may seem far-fetched, but (if we're being honest with ourselves) no more so than an invisible, may-not-even-exist, supernatural father taking a personal interest in our well-being. Simple logic dictates that there is no good reason to fast forward past all those other reasons, and land squarely on "God knew I needed help and answered my prayers"... as the only possible explanation.

Again, that is not meant to be an attack, and it certainly doesn't give me amusement. Just trying to explain what might be underlying some of the responses to your heartfelt post.

Funny that we have a new Christian poster and that was his initial impression of ya'll. It won't be long before you start ripping apart his personal character just like you "nice" folk do to me on a daily basis and have done to many other Christians that used to post here. Notice that you will consider any other possibility except the one that God exists and He answered his prayer.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:28 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,644,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Funny that we have a new Christian poster and that was his initial impression of ya'll. It won't be long before you start ripping apart his personal character just like you "nice" folk do to me on a daily basis and have done to many other Christians that used to post here. Notice that you will consider any other possibility except the one that God exists and He answered his prayer.
Let's assume that God did answer Unicorn's prayer. That's great, for Unicorn.

Meanwhile, God ignores the pleas of countless children being molested or working as prostitutes. Or perhaps they just need enough food to sustain life. Or perhaps they have a terminal disease. Omnipotent God can easily fix all that and more, yet chooses not to. What does this say about the character of God?

Old 04-10-2019, 02:01 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,608,117 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Let's assume that God did answer Unicorn's prayer. That's great, for Unicorn.

Meanwhile, God ignores the pleas of countless children being molested or working as prostitutes. Or perhaps they just need enough food to sustain life. Or perhaps they have a terminal disease. Omnipotent God can easily fix all that and more, yet chooses not to. What does this say about the character of God?
JIC jeffbase has you on ignore.

How else will he learn?

Too soon

Old 04-10-2019, 02:09 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,608,112 times
Quote:
That new poster is a "she", Jeffery. "She" is also not a Christian from what "she" has said....

Old 04-10-2019, 02:39 PM

1,402 posts, read 478,290 times
Quote:
Funny that we have a new Christian poster and that was his initial impression of ya'll. It won't be long before you start ripping apart his personal character just like you "nice" folk do to me on a daily basis and have done to many other Christians that used to post here.
Yep, you're right, this response of mine was really harsh...

"Unicorn, you seem like a kind, open, sincere person, and we aren't all (maybe any of us) cold-hearted. I have no reason to doubt your story is true, and no desire to "tear to bits." ... Again, that is not meant to be an attack, and it certainly doesn't give me amusement. Just trying to explain what might be underlying some of the responses to your heartfelt post."

And then there was this lashing, from ImissThe90's:

"Unicorn, I have no doubt that you are a good person, and I certainly respect your right to believe as you do. This is not an attempt to "tear your story to bits", but an attempt to share my side."

Notwithstanding your persecution complex, it would be hard to be much kinder and gentler. Other than saying "Yes, I agree with everything you say, and can't find a single thing to interpret differently" (which would be a baldfaced lie)... what should you (or Unicorn) expect by posting here?

Quote:
Notice that you will consider any other possibility except the one that God exists and He answered his prayer.
That, however, is a baldfaced lie. I clearly acknowledged that God answering prayer was one possibility, among many. That doesn't happen to have any more evidence to support it than all the other reasons, which was my point, but I did consider.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:43 PM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
If either of you would please explain your reactions to my post because I am not very good at interpreting the responses of others.
I understood what you said, and I am also curious as to why they responded the way they did.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:21 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,935,370 times
Quote:

What's your beef, jeff. Any of us who venture over to the Christianity forum get ripped apart by Mike555 and you so what's the difference?

Old 04-10-2019, 03:47 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,644,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
That, however, is a baldfaced lie. I clearly acknowledged that God answering prayer was one possibility, among many. That doesn't happen to have any more evidence to support it than all the other reasons, which was my point, but I did consider.
And God hates all liars; just sayin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality