Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 07:05 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times

Advertisements

What do you think of this topic?

I find this interesting because I would say that I was associated with the social justice movement a few years ago, not even knowing that it was a new movement. So it's interesting that church leaders have felt that there is a need to make a statement, since they think that it is a threat to the true gospel.

Here is panel discussion about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm0OUAowdkw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 07:14 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
I learned from the bible that I need to check my self when I am about to stop a group of people from doing what they want.

is my reason to out of love and compassion?
or
fear and greed?

Old 05-27-2019, 08:14 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
When they lament that the gospel is not being accepted with exclusivity, and that they see themselves as being in a camp...that's really all I need to hear.

Last edited by phetaroi; 05-27-2019 at 09:08 PM..

Old 05-27-2019, 08:27 PM

Hmm. I thought I had opened this thread in the Christianity forum.

Old 05-27-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
When lament that the gospel is not being accepted with exclusivity, and that they see themselves as being in a camp...that's really all I need to hear.
I wouldn't say it as they see themselves in a camp. But they see faith in God as being the camp. They are at the camp because it's the best thing they have ever found. And it's a free camp.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I wouldn't say it as they see themselves in a camp. But they see faith in God as being the camp. They are at the camp because it's the best thing they have ever found. And it's a free camp.
Do you even think about what you write?

"I wouldn't say it as they see themselves in a camp" ... "They are at the camp"

Old 05-27-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Do you even think about what you write?

"I wouldn't say it as they see themselves in a camp" ... "They are at the camp"
Is it really any different than your own "camp"? Do you not wish that everyone else believed as you do?

So it doesn't make sense that you would reject Christianity for that reason.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Is it really any different than your own "camp"? Do you not wish that everyone else believed as you do?

So it doesn't make sense that you would reject Christianity for that reason.
I am pointing out that the two phrases make no sense together.

Old 05-28-2019, 04:38 AM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I learned from the bible that I need to check my self when I am about to stop a group of people from doing what they want.

is my reason to out of love and compassion?
or
fear and greed?
It is surprising to read that you learned that from the Bible, but I can believe it since so many lives have been changed after 'finding' Jesus. Only after abandoning my Christian faith did I learn what you state and then it took another 15 years to truly make it a regular part of my thought process. Even now, fear is usually my first feeling in many situations.

The lens that I used to view the faith was dependent on my culture, which taught to act on fear and greed with more fear and punishment. Because religions are susceptible to a person's 'lens', I do not depend on religion. I think ultimately that was the reason I gave up on it because it was so dependent on one's culture.

But then, there was fear that I gave up on Jesus and that I shouldn't because, in the end, I will be given a perfect life in heaven. Actually, no. I want a good life now, which I know is possible.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:18 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
to clear, I am atheist. Since like 9yrs old. I don't believe jesus was any more than a composite character in a book. But I was raised by strong catholic parents.

Your post is right. To me, religion is like a boat. what does one do with the boat when they have reached "yonder shore" sheds light one that person.

not everybody reaches it. it sucks, and I wish it was different, but it isn't. sometimes, its even the boat that caused the injury that prevents the person reaching that yonder shore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality