Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 08:59 AM

50,874 posts, read 24,371,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzpapalotl View Post
It appears the only comments I've received so far are the ones that focus on considerations to which I've raised no objections. I appreciate the value some may find in occasional meditation, mindfulness, yoga etc. I've pointed out in my first post that I see no harm in these exercises. It is the larger aspect of this worldview that I find toxic. And since OP didn't specify which one (or if both) were the focus of this thread (though I suspect it's both in light of the stress given to overall happiness and relief of suffering), I chose to look at a larger picture, and to that I am yet to see an objection.
Toxic? Is it just hyperbole?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 09:01 AM

15,984 posts, read 7,044,200 times
Quote:
I don't know about you, normstad, but I'm able to understand things and still find certain ideas damaging.

There is a massive difference between savouring a moment, appreciating little things, and taking stock of the present and embracing a wholesale idea that only the present counts. Besides, OP didn't qualify whether they consider this just a useful exercise every now and then or a recommended outlook on life. It is the latter that I find so utterly appalling.

The present is the only thing there is, no matter how much you find that fact appalling.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:21 AM

7,596 posts, read 4,168,148 times
I wouldn't be appalled. However, saying that only the present matters is not very instructive. It requires more explanation.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:42 AM

1,456 posts, read 516,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't see how the concept is "utterly appalling".
Quote:
Toxic? Is it just hyperbole?
Really? You can't see the dangers in having no concern for the future or mistakes of the past? Climate change, environmental decay, health, relationships, justice system, crime reparation, saving for the rainy day, repairing the roof in anticipation of autumn rains? Nothing that could possibly be damaged by "The present is the only thing there is", ignore the past or future.

Maybe it's just me, I don't know. But I find it very hard to imagine a world where such a concept, applied as a wholesale philosophy, could result in anything but destruction.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:47 AM

50,874 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Really? You can't see the dangers in having no concern for the future or mistakes of the past? Climate change, environmental decay, health, relationships, justice system, crime reparation, saving for the rainy day, repairing the roof in anticipation of autumn rains? Nothing that could possibly be damaged by "The present is the only thing there is", ignore the past or future.

Maybe it's just me, I don't know. But I find it very hard to imagine a world where such a concept, applied as a wholesale philosophy, could result in anything but destruction.
Except I don't think the OP said that. I think you're taking the original post to extremes.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:49 AM

15,984 posts, read 7,044,200 times
Quote:

Maybe you feel that way because you have not thought about the concept deeply or try to understand. It is a mistake to assume somehow everyone else is wrong and one alone is right. That does not mean you cannot believe that, but it will be a mistake.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:53 AM

1,096 posts, read 419,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
The past is dead, the future is unknown, the present is the only thing you got. Live in the present. This is the key to if not happiness, at least relief from suffering, sadness, depression.
Breathing in and out, meditation, maybe prayer, all help. Yoga.

How do you practice being in the present? Does it bring relief, help you get up and go again, bring you bliss?
What is your method?

I agree with phetaroi. The OP mentions it as a relief. I take that to mean as a time out, a stress relief mechanism. You still have to deal with your life, just from a better place.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Except I don't think the OP said that. I think you're taking the original post to extremes.
Which is why I said the following (in one of the posts you quoted):

"OP didn't qualify whether they consider this just a useful exercise every now and then or a recommended outlook on life. It is the latter that I find so utterly appalling."

To which OP's response was:

Quote:
The present is the only thing there is, no matter how much you find that fact appalling.
You can see why it's hard for me to be charitable and assume we are only talking about the benign aspects of mindfulness, yoga, rainbows, and such like.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Maybe you feel that way because you have not thought about the concept deeply or try to understand. It is a mistake to assume somehow everyone else is wrong and one alone is right.
The irony is that I could say exactly the same thing to you.

Old 08-25-2019, 10:10 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,093,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Odd that you should Interpret the OP in that light. I took it as almost religious in proposing an inner peace through the prayerful mind. Just that it cuts the crap and goes straight to meditation -mindfulness. I rather think that you have let your own prejudices against secularism run wild and let them obscure what the OP was actually saying.

It seems to show how the religious believer can't see things straight but always through some religiously -distorted optical glass.
Quote:
What makes you so ANGRY?
Think about that first. Then read the post and carefully underline all the places it mentions religion. How did you see all that is bolded into it? How did that happen, why did you do that?

After you do all that please post again.
Yes, eating the humble pie.

I completely misinterpreted the OP.
Not sure what the heck was I thinking.

Apologies again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality