Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 04:11 PM

50,839 posts, read 24,347,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
And that would be factually wrong. At least not the slavery of 1800's America.
Again, I ask you -- then why are mainline churches are apologizing for their history in this matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 04:17 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Again, I ask you -- then why are mainline churches are apologizing for their history in this matter?
For supporting it? Because they were wrong to do so.

Old 09-10-2019, 04:45 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
Quote:
Actually, it would be factually correct. Certainly not all Christians supported 19th century slavery, but many did and justified it using the Bible.

I think it worth pointing out your evasion here, in saying that Christians did not support the slavery of the 1800s. Are you one of the people who supports slavery as depicted in the Bible?

Old 09-10-2019, 05:00 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Actually, it would be factually correct. Certainly not all Christians supported 19th century slavery, but many did and justified it using the Bible.
And they were wrong to do so.
Quote:
I think it worth pointing out your evasion here, in saying that Christians did not support the slavery of the 1800s. Are you one of the people who supports slavery as depicted in the Bible?
I never said Christians didn't support it. I said Christianity doesn't support it.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:06 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
They most assuredly did. The disagreement over the issue of slavery is what caused the Southern Baptists to break away from the American Baptists. That happened in America in the 1800s.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:16 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
Quote:
I never said Christians didn't support it. I said Christianity doesn't support it.
Ok. If you want to have a nuanced differentiation between Christians and Christianity I am ok with that.

In your opinion, does Christianity support slavery as depicted in the Bible?

Old 09-10-2019, 05:20 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
an investigation will ensue but nothing will come of it

Old 09-10-2019, 06:10 PM

50,839 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
But they did...officially...as well as en masse among the congregations to the point that a civil war ensured killing well over half a million Americans.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:59 PM

3,804 posts, read 3,000,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. Very poor choice of words in last sentence. The "Never Again" concept in re the Nazi holocaust wasn't a joke. It was and continues to be said in all seriousness. But as when we say anything as a society, we must also remember how we as individuals behave. We make New Years Resolutions. Sometimes we fail. We go to confession either formally or in our thoughts and prayers. Sometimes we fail. Pledges we make often crumble, but we still state privately or publicly our good intentions and goals and aspirations.

2. As to turning on their faith...maybe I'd say it differently. That people often turn on and off their faith (I know, different meaning). It's part of how we sometimes compartmentalize our lives.

3. And then there's the I do what I gotta do part of life.

4. There are quite a few christians here who think that they behave based on their faith, as if all non-christians are immoral. Nah. For the most part, people behave based on their culture, not on their faith.
I think you know what I meant by that.
Genocides have not stopped after WW2, despite this pledge, and it is disgraceful that they have continued. (and farcical in the case of the United Nations stopping them)

Old 09-10-2019, 11:14 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
You're not getting it, are you? The Christians at the time supported the wrong because it was what they believed and the Bible didn't say it was wrong.

If Christians opposed it, it was because of humanist ethics, even if they dressed it up in Biblical verbiage and ignored a few pro -slavery passages. It enables them today to claim that they were against it all the time.

It is the same now with a number of issues that 'Some' Christians and churches are fighting. No doubt they will claim later on that 'they were wrong to do so' and claim that many Christians were supporting many of the issues that are being fought over right now.

This is the ongoing swindle of religious apologetics. To blame anything bad on humans and claim anything good for their religion.

p.s

and yet again we have drifted off the topic to general apologetics. Par for the course, i suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality