Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2022, 09:58 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
To what lows will a person stoop in order to refute opinion different from there's? What a crock!
Well, you said we must all judge and that's my judgement. How does it feel being judged instead of judging others? It's sort of amazing that you can't recognize that you are are only willing to consider opinions that agree with yours as intelligent. You are a legend in your own mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2022, 10:03 AM

29,528 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
You're welcome, Learnme. I am glad you feel I have contributed in some meaningful way.
Everyone who posts anything in this thread or forum contributes in one way or another. What is meaningful and what is not is yet another subjective matter. Across the board, "I just call 'em the way I see 'em."

I most definitely feel you contribute in a meaningful way! Compared to some others, your contributions are like a breath of fresh air after climbing out of the sewer...

Old 01-05-2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Well, you said we must all judge and that's my judgement. How does it feel being judged instead of judging others? It's sort of amazing that you can't recognize that you are are only willing to consider opinions that agree with yours as intelligent. You are a legend in your own mind.
What sort of silly nonsense is this?

I don't know who you are or how old, but I'm in my sixties. I've been an atheist ever since I stopped being a boy, and I've engaged in discussions like this about this topic and many others more than most other people I know. By way of even just this one thread, do you really think I haven't been judged by others in every way imaginable? In spades?

I am considering ALL opinions, just like I did before I wrote these truths after a formal study of the major religions of the world. A formal study that also included a great deal of discussion about all this many decades ago. Discussion that has continued one way or another ever since, but even more important than discussion perhaps has been education and my own personal experience of course. Including experience dealing with people very much like you. Lots of experience.

I argue the merit of these opinions. Explain why I agree or don't agree. Ideally without the sort of personal insults you prefer to include. I can go that way too and lately I'm very tempted, but I'm trying to keep this an adult civil conversation if you don't mind.

I have asked this question of others who do what you do, and I can't help but ask you too.

What is wrong with you?

Old 01-05-2022, 10:20 AM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Wrong again, but what seems clear is what you want to do. Why someone goes to such effort to be a part of such a thread which I invite everyone to do only to stoop to the insults that you do is truly beyond me. Could it be you are simply proving how "the truth hurts?" That and/or how some people "can't handle the truth?" Bit of both I think, and a good amount of childish attempt to address this topic rather than in a bit more mature civil manner.
News flash: no one needs an invitation to post in any thread, any time. The more the better. The owner would love the traffic.
What a strange delusion to be under.

Old 01-05-2022, 10:22 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
So typical of your posts. Anything that you don't approve of is nonsense, unintelligent, immature and uncivil. You elevate your ideas to the status of ten truths. Your own version of the ten commandments I guess. You consider ALL opinions and summarily discard ALL that don't mirror your own narrow and biased viewpoint. You are incapable of accepting any criticism, and call it a smear campaign. You answer all pertinent questions with your own questions rather than answers. You seem incapable of true discussion.

My original answer to your post was along the lines of well, that's your opinion. What's truth to you can be false to others. But you weren't satisfied with that and labeled it generalities. So I got more specific and you applauded me for agreeing with your first two ideas and dismissed my criticism of the rest.

I probably wouldn't have even answered your post if you hadn't been so eager to denigrate religion in the first place. But that's the core of all your posts here. Why don't you change your handle to "You can't teach me anything"? That would at least be another truth we could both agree on.
Quote:
What sort of silly nonsense is this?

I don't know who you are or how old, but I'm in my sixties. I've been an atheist ever since I stopped being a boy, and I've engaged in discussions like this about this topic and many others more than most other people I know. By way of even just this one thread, do you really think I haven't been judged by others in every way imaginable?

I am considering ALL opinions, just like I did before I wrote these truths after a formal study of the major religions of the world. A formal study that also included a great deal of discussion about all this many decades ago. Discussion that has continued one way or another ever since, but even more important than discussion perhaps has been education and my own personal experience of course.

I argue the merit of these opinions. Explain why I agree or don't agree. Ideally without the sort of personal insults you prefer to include. I can go that way too, but I'm trying to keep this an adult civil conversation if you don't mind.

I have asked this question of others who do what you do, and I can't help but ask you too.

What is wrong with you?

Last edited by bobspez; 01-05-2022 at 10:57 AM..

Old 01-05-2022, 10:26 AM

Quote:
History is the last place to seek truth?

How tired I get trying to deal with your ridiculous misrepresentations of what you simply refuse to consider without just wanting to pick away at argument all your own. Before it was some nonsense about how history is "not just about dates." Please have mercy...

Just because you insist on dismissing all we can learn from science, history, the news and all else with human finger prints on them does NOT mean that others can't or should not carefully consider, assess and draw proper conclusion about these topics. You are something like a court jester interfering with others who are attempting due process to arrive at the truth of these matters DESPITE the inherent challenges. Including the challenges posed by people like you who are forever claiming we can do little more than stick our heads up where the sun don't shine.
Nobody is dismissing any of it. It is again your delusion that you have some great wisdom to impart that no one else knows about and it is simply beyond belief to you that people would reject your opinions as worthless. Maybe once in a while you should do what you prescribe about heads. It might bring some clarity for you, who knows.

Old 01-05-2022, 10:29 AM

Quote:
A thread going on over 60 pages now would suggest you are not as right about all you think you are, and if I am condescending or a troll, I would hate to think what describes you. To keep it civil as I prefer to do, I'll refrain from further expressing my opinion about you personally. Something you apparently prefer to do over all else.
He is just calling a spade a spade. As for you if you let your language get any coarser you may be breaking some forum rules on obscenity.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
News flash: no one needs an invitation to post in any thread, any time. The more the better. The owner would love the traffic.
What a strange delusion to be under.
News flash: no one needs an invitation to post in any thread, any time. This is news? Again please...

I don't mind the comments generally speaking. It's comments like yours and others that tend to be childish and insulting that I will point out as such without invitation as well.

I'm not sure who is under what sort of delusion here, but I don't think it's me. What the problem might be with you and others when it comes to this sort of thing? I really don't know.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:57 AM

Quote:
News flash: no one needs an invitation to post in any thread, any time. This is news? Again please...

I don't mind the comments generally speaking. It's comments like yours and others that tend to be childish and insulting that I will point out as such without invitation as well.

I'm not sure who is under what sort of delusion here, but I don't think it's me. What the problem might be with you and others when it comes to this sort of thing? I really don't know.
That is the essence of delusion: the delusional don’t know they are deluded. A sorry state.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
So typical of your posts. Anything that you don't approve of is nonsense, unintelligent, immature and uncivil. You elevate your ideas to the status of ten truths. Your own version of the ten commandments I guess. You consider ALL opinions and summarily discard ALL that don't mirror your own narrow and biased viewpoint. You are incapable of accepting any criticism, and call it a smear campaign. You answer all pertinent questions with your own questions rather than answers. You seem incapable of true discussion.

My original answer to your post was along the lines of well, that's your opinion. What's truth to you can be false to others. But you weren't satisfied with that and labeled it generalities. So I got more specific and you applauded me for agreeing with your first two ideas and dismissed my criticism of the rest.

I probably wouldn't have even answered your post if you hadn't been so eager to denigrate religion in the first place. But that's the core of all your posts here. Why don't you change your handle to "You can't teach me anything"? That would at least be another truth we could both agree on.
CORRECTION: it is not "anything I don't approve of is nonsense, etc."

I think this thread also proves this not to be the case, but no doubt the people who I think most deserving of ridicule along these lines will resort to hyperbole like you do here as well. Goes with the territory I'm all too familiar with by now.

PS: I don't denigrate religion any more than I denigrate politics. Just like I am discerning about who comments in this forum, I am specific about what I view as "wrong-thinking" and why. At least get the basics right before you continue with your nonsense, and nonsense it is when it comes to these insulting tactics of yours. Plain and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality