Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2021, 09:20 AM

29,566 posts, read 9,797,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
bold above is a false dichotomy.

"a false dichotomy tries to force a conclusion by offering an incomplete list of alternatives. Typically only two options are considered, while in fact a number of additional options are available. When someone reasons from an either-or position and hasn't considered all relevant possibilities it is a failure of reasoning, a false dichotomy."
Facts vs what are not facts then...

Better?!?

What a great amount of effort on the part of a choice few to pick away at the edges rather than admit to the overall truth about what I am simply trying to explain here. The truth about what are facts, universal truths and what are not.

Truly amazing to me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2021, 09:25 AM

In the news this morning...

More Americans are shifting away from religious affiliation, new study finds

About 30% of adults do not have a religious affiliation, six percentage points higher than it was five years ago
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-study-results

Clearly this trend continues, though I'm sure there will be those who will quite quickly declare this another "selective" choice of facts that is not really fact. Of course we all know how this goes by now, but for all of us to judge as we always do.

Meanwhile, I have a name for this trend that I mention in one of my Ten Truths. I wonder if anyone can make that connection and/or agree with me about this too.

Or disagree with me! Of course I'm entirely okay and used to that by now! Where would this discussion otherwise be if not for the deniers?

Old 12-16-2021, 03:57 PM

23,270 posts, read 10,561,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Facts vs what are not facts then...

Better?!?

What a great amount of effort on the part of a choice few to pick away at the edges rather than admit to the overall truth about what I am simply trying to explain here. The truth about what are facts, universal truths and what are not.

Truly amazing to me...
Pick away the edges?

What is rational and logical?

I say a man should love his enemies, and when he catches a thief stealing a ten spot from his britched, he should forgive the thief, and even offer him more.

The logic and reason of a believer is that it makes perfect sense to study Torah night and day.

The reason and sensibility is to sacrifice one's self for the needs of others and to love and pray for one's enemy.

Love.

It dont make no sense.

Giving oneself to the study of God's Torah doesnt make logic or reason, a person commits his whole life believing and trusting in the word of God.

It doesnt make sense to the outsider, especially an unbeliever.

Old 12-16-2021, 04:41 PM

64,000 posts, read 40,305,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your lack of objectivity is revealed by your choice of alternatives - facts versus falsehoods - instead of accurate versus inaccurate or correctly understood or incorrectly understood or interpreted reasonably or misinterpreted, etc., etc. Falsehoods unnecessarily imply dishonest intent instead of just ignorance, or the wrong context, or tradition and cultural conditioning, etc., etc. I understand that you interpret these distinctions from your belief that science is the only accurate method of discerning what you call truth. It is that belief that CB calls scientism.
Quote:
I believe we are better able to distinguish facts from falsehoods than you want to admit or recognize however. Or facts versus untruths. Objectively speaking. That's all.

Either way, there is what is the truth and there is what is not. This is the important distinction most important to make clear when it comes to so many of these competing notions or claims of truth that can't be justified a such.
It is your belief that science is the arbiter of what is truth and what is not that CB calls your scientism, and you as much as admit it yourself. You just do not think it is questionable or debatable.

Old 12-16-2021, 05:41 PM

16,158 posts, read 7,131,233 times
Quote:
It is your belief that science is the arbiter of what is truth and what is not that CB calls your scientism, and you as much as admit it yourself. You just do not think it is questionable or debatable.
i think LearnMe is quite ok with Scientism unlike Harry who has a fit every time it is mentioned. in fact LM quite happily wears that label.

Old 12-17-2021, 12:20 AM

16,832 posts, read 5,042,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
i think LearnMe is quite ok with Scientism unlike Harry who has a fit every time it is mentioned. in fact LM quite happily wears that label.
Lol, no. It is just another opportunity of pointing out (sorry, having a fit ) the need for the snake oil salespeople to dishonestly attack others instead of providing rational arguments for their beliefs. It is not the term, it is any dishonest attack. 'Scientism' is just the favorite at the moment.

Old 12-17-2021, 06:14 AM

22,670 posts, read 19,361,276 times
Quote:
Facts vs what are not facts then...Better?!?What a great amount of effort on the part of a choice few to pick away at the edges rather than admit to the overall truth about what I am simply trying to explain here. The truth about what are facts, universal truths and what are not. Truly amazing to me...
if someone uses and continues to use false dichotomy, and can not see the problem in using false dichotomy ["doesn't matter" "just being picky"], then they do not arrive at "the truth." Because it is false reasoning. A false dichotomy is false reasoning. And false reasoning produces false conclusions.

false in -----> false out

Old 12-17-2021, 09:44 AM

51,074 posts, read 24,578,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
if someone uses and continues to use false dichotomy, and can not see the problem in using false dichotomy ["doesn't matter" "just being picky"], then they do not arrive at "the truth." Because it is false reasoning. A false dichotomy is false reasoning. And false reasoning produces false conclusions.

false in -----> false out
Then stop doing it.

Old 12-17-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Pick away the edges?

What is rational and logical?

I say a man should love his enemies, and when he catches a thief stealing a ten spot from his britched, he should forgive the thief, and even offer him more.

The logic and reason of a believer is that it makes perfect sense to study Torah night and day.

The reason and sensibility is to sacrifice one's self for the needs of others and to love and pray for one's enemy.

Love.

It dont make no sense.

Giving oneself to the study of God's Torah doesnt make logic or reason, a person commits his whole life believing and trusting in the word of God.

It doesnt make sense to the outsider, especially an unbeliever.
Let's put it this way...

I won't quibble over your choice of words when it comes to explaining the essence of what you believe to be true. Also needless to say, "what makes perfect sense" to one person does not necessarily make sense to the next person. For all variety of obvious reasons. This truth is what leads to discussions like these, where people can either focus on what's most important and decide what is true or not far as they are concerned, and why, or quibble about petty details.

Old 12-17-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
This is another laughable statement much like many CB likes to issue, and I have no hesitation to call them falsehoods, because that's exactly what they are!

Science is not questionable or debatable? I'm not going to correct this sort of nonsense yet again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality