Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 04:26 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I have a question, why is the life of a "child" of more value than the life of anyone else?
At what age do people become less precious?
When does their suffering no longer matter?
IMO I think its the arr factor working its way. Personally i think that an assessment of the value of a life is simply impossible to make mainly because i reject any absolute scale that relates to morality and because its just impossible to avoid subjective influences relating moral dilemas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 06:14 AM

245 posts, read 625,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
This is from a Christian perspective. YMMV.

One pastor I knew said that life is like a 70-year-long root canal - miserable when it's happening, but oh so wonderful when you get to leave the dentist's office.

speak for yourself, life is often a blast filled with wonderfull things. ever notice that it's mostly christians who claim life sucks, kinda makes you think

Old 10-30-2008, 12:13 PM

2 posts, read 1,454 times
Smile Christians can now Edit Gods words to suit there taste!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
If this is how you explain animal abuse to your children then you are painting a phony picture for them.

What about the ritualized slaughter that goes on in slaughterhouses? What about the cruel and unusual living conditions that the animals are placed in before they even get in line for the slaughter? If you don't know about that stuff, you should educate yourself. If you don't care, then you are amoral.

How will you honestly explain the process behind your cheeseburger to a child in a way that doesn't make the Christian meat-eater sound like a hypocritical brute?

Thank God we still have some sane people like yourself my friend . Its very disturbing to see how easily people who call themselves "Christians" drag the Name of the most loving and gentle man to walk the earth through the mud and put fish in his mouth.
They Edit there Bibles to suit there meaty taste and become dyslexic when reading the Creators most caring dietary instruction (Genesis)"christian" Meat eaters must think their creator is totally stupid or senile, why else would he not have mentioned that they should breed and feed and murder the animals that he said were to be mans friends and helpers.("Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit; you shall have them for food.")
Years of hard-heartedness and selfishness cover these souls so much so that they do not recognize or remember right from wrong, black from white. They have no idea of peace nor how it comes about. They tightly squeeze the white dove of peace with one hand while holding a blood soaked dagger in another.
Like the Mafia they pay others to kill for them, 65 billion animals every year. "But" they say "as long as the act of violence, the murder of the animal is done humanley".
I dont recall ever hearing of a judge passing his decision in a murder case saying "No it's fine, the accused is innocent, this child was murdered by an enourmous bolt of electricity to his head, this act of violence was very humane! To anyone who say's they have no problem telling there children how animals are raised and then slaughtered, in horrific conditions and then processed...keep that one under your hat. Do everything you can to soften the hard, cold shell that covers you. Do not bring another child into the world to be indoctrinated and influenced by your numbness. Find someone who can teach you and awaken to the beauty of all life. Use your logic, your heart and maybe some wisdom will sprout.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:39 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,218 times
I patently disagree with any anthropomorphic sentiment concerning animals and humans.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:09 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,618,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisW View Post
I patently disagree with any anthropomorphic sentiment concerning animals and humans.
This sounds suspiciously like the post of an animal who is embarassed to have human qualities attributed to themselves. Aren't there rules against non-humans posting here? (sorry - couldn't resist )

Old 10-30-2008, 02:38 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times
What was the original Post? Oh yeah...why do animals and children suffer? If there was one big general answer to that maybe it would not have to happen...but there isn't, so it does. It SEEMS more tragic when a child suffers or dies from illness or neglect or abuse than when an adult suffers that same fate, but I don't know if is. Same for animals...it seems more cruel when a fluffy kitten is thrown against a wall and dies than when someone traps and kills a rampaging bear, but is it? I don't know...I'm just saying...

I could never abuse a child or an animal. I am one of those crazies who saves spiders from my bath tub...I dislike sport hunting, but I do eat meat and I am very sure when my dogs or my donkey look at me with their soulfilled eyes they are feeling what I am feeling. But are they? I don't know. To me, it is just plain wrong for anyone with a thinking brain to submit any other creature, human or animal, to intentional abuse of any sort. Period.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
I could never abuse a child or an animal. I am one of those crazies who saves spiders from my bath tub...I dislike sport hunting, but I do eat meat and I am very sure when my dogs or my donkey look at me with their soulfilled eyes they are feeling what I am feeling. But are they? I don't know. To me, it is just plain wrong for anyone with a thinking brain to submit any other creature, human or animal, to intentional abuse of any sort. Period.
Well, I have to spread some rep around before giving it to you again so let me just say

The 'do unto others' always applies. At some point though we (I) have to look at meat eating and what kind of abuse that gives funding and support to.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:32 AM

2 posts, read 1,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
What was the original Post? Oh yeah...why do animals and children suffer? If there was one big general answer to that maybe it would not have to happen...but there isn't, so it does. It SEEMS more tragic when a child suffers or dies from illness or neglect or abuse than when an adult suffers that same fate, but I don't know if is. Same for animals...it seems more cruel when a fluffy kitten is thrown against a wall and dies than when someone traps and kills a rampaging bear, but is it? I don't know...I'm just saying...

You sound like a kind person but like many you have been conditioned not to think of how the meat gets to your table. Are you not missing something here? Why save a spider from the bath when you are paying someone to raise innocent animals in horrific conditions then have their lives taken from them in violent and terrifying ways? You dont make the connection? Stop eating all animals if you want to do something to help our world. Only when there is no blood on the table will we have peace in this world. Goodluck joining the dots

Last edited by logical2; 11-15-2008 at 05:34 AM.. Reason: typing mistake

Old 11-15-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical2 View Post
You sound like a kind person but like many you have been conditioned not to think of how the meat gets to your table. Are you not missing something here? Why save a spider from the bath when you are paying someone to raise innocent animals in horrific conditions then have their lives taken from them in violent and terrifying ways? You dont make the connection? Stop eating all animals if you want to do something to help our world. Only when there is no blood on the table will we have peace in this world. Goodluck joining the dots
Yep.

Rule of thumb: If you are not willing to raise, kill and gut the animals yourself, then you don't have the stomach for it. Time to let civilization move forward.

As we all know there are other issues though - we've killed off the natural predators so deer and other animals overpopulate/starve ect. We have made a real mess of the natural eco-system.

Also, I don't put animals equal with humans as some of my extreme friends do. One buddy of mine claims if a house was burning and he had a better chance of saving the dog trapped inside than the child trapped inside then he would try and save the dog first I really don't get that, but I do get saving the dog in general AND having respect for living creatures in general. Just because we are put in charge here doesn't mean we are free to use and abuse.

Another horrific practice is abortion, especially late term abortion. Fundamentalists have a legitimate point when folks (rightfully IMO) want to protect animals but (wrongfully IMO) don't have at least as much respect for unborn humans. I see that as major hypocrisy. Slaughtering animals or humans is barbarism that needs to be overcome if we are to take the next step in human cultural evolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality