Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2010, 03:13 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,954,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
The Choctaw word is Halito or, more informally, Achukma! So, Halito! Chim achukma ho? (Loosely translates as "Hello! How are you?")
Might as well add mine to it. In Comanche, we say Maruawe! Unha hakai nuusuka?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 03:27 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,209,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
ginachadli: Welcome to the circle from me. I'm an atheist and I've been made to feel welcome. The cross-section of humanity here is amazing, and I like it!
I agree...I'm agnostic...it's a wonderful respite to come to a thread where there isn't any bickering and name calling.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:57 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Who will sit with me in the sacred circle of peace, harmony and understanding.
Among my culture we have a tradition that has existed for centuries.

Whenever we come together to discuss things of great importance it is always done within the sacred circle. Anyone is welcome to come and sit within the sacred circle and participate in the discussions, however all animosity, hatred and prejudice are left outside of the sacred circle, these things are not allowed within its confines and each individual who steps within the sacred circle is expected to help govern it and be responsible to see to it that peace, harmony, and understanding prevail within the sacred circle.

So now my brothers and sisters, I invite you to step within the sacred circle and tell us about your beliefs or non-beliefs without criticism or animosity to one another.

Remember, all are welcomed here who come with a good heart.
I'm with you!!!!! Are you with me????? I seek only love and truth!!!! PS...MY male mate is half Cherokee?????? And A Vietnam Vet...IF we are still welcome...I'm there??????

Old 08-20-2010, 08:04 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I'm with you!!!!! Are you with me????? I seek only love and truth!!!! PS...MY male mate is half Cherokee?????? And A Vietnam Vet...IF we are still welcome...I'm there??????
All are welcome! That's what makes this circle so incredible!
And I have to say what a pleasure it has been hearing so much about Native American (is that the correct term?) beliefs and ways of life. They are truly beautiful and peaceful. It's wonderful to hear of a culture so at one with nature.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:14 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,655,607 times
Quote:

PITTSTON2SARASOTA, all are welcome to come in a respectful way and it makes no difference what your belief or nonbelief may be, this is a place of tolerance and respect and you're welcome to sit with us.
If you don't mind a little constructive criticism, one does not have to speak loudly to be heard here, the bold print is a sign of someone speaking loudly, you will not need that here...... come and sit in peace and solitude and tell us a little bit about yourself.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:23 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,977,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
And I have to say what a pleasure it has been hearing so much about Native American (is that the correct term?) beliefs and ways of life. They are truly.......... peaceful..............
You should read of Dragging Canoe, Nocona, or Santana............being peaceful is not always the way of a warrior society. Fullbacks grandfather was a great warrior of the 20th century. The warrior tradition pervades our cultures. Remember, one reason we can accept others as equal is that we are strong in ourselves and have no need to impose on others nor do we fear what others may try to impose on us. this is a strength that comes from not shouting or being angry, but is a strength born of knowledge of our relation with the creator and with other men and women of wisdom and strength.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:25 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,977,654 times
Quote:
That's better.

You mention a male mate. Do you have a female mate as well? Among the ndn cultures two spirits are often revered............

Quote:
A berdache was one who was defined by spirituality, androgyny, women’s work and male/male homosexual relationships (127). The berdache could adopt the clothing of women, associate and be involved with women, do the work normally associated with women, marry a man and take part in many spiritual ceremonies of the tribe. Female versions of the role also occurred, but are less well documented. Generosity and spirituality more than homosexuality and gender characterized berdachism.

In the traditional tribal sense, these roles have often been ones associated with great respect and spiritual power. Rather than being viewed as an aberration, the role was seen as one, which bridged the gap between the temporal and spirit worlds. The spiritual aspect of the berdache role was emphasized far more than the homosexual or gender variant aspect. Because of this, berdaches were highly valued by the people of the tribe.
http://www.members.tripod.com/~Berda.../twospirit.htm

Quote:
Two-Spirit People (also Two Spirit or Twospirit), is an English term that emerged in 1990, out of the third annual inter-tribal Native American/First Nations gay and lesbian conference, in Winnipeg, to describe Native Americans who fulfill one of many mixed gender roles found traditionally among many Native Americans and Canadian First Nations indigenous groups. The mixed gender roles encompassed by the term historically included wearing the clothing and performing the work associated with both men and women.

A direct translation of the Ojibwe term, Niizh manidoowag, "two-spirited" or "two-spirit" is usually used to indicate a person whose body simultaneously houses a masculine spirit and a feminine spirit. The term can also be used more abstractly, to indicate presence of two contrasting human spirits (such as Warrior and Clan Mother) or two contrasting animal spirits (which, depending on the culture, might be Eagle and Coyote); however, these uses, while descriptive of some aboriginal cultural practices and beliefs, depart somewhat from the 1990 purposes of promoting the term.

According to Brian Joseph Gilly, male berdachism "was a fundamental institution among most tribal peoples."Will Roscoe writes that male and female berdaches have been "documented in over 130 tribes, in every region of North America, among every type of native culture."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-Spirit

Old 08-20-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Haits (friend), in Comanche culture being gay is no stigma. AFAIK, this is true for the other nations as well. Among my tribe they are seen as just another of the people and not a "gay" NDN. One of my very best friends was gay and I took him as a brother. He was not my gay friend, but just my friend. Sadly, he passed about five years ago. You are welcome here, NDN or not.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:35 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,655,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
You should read of Dragging Canoe, Nocona, or Santana............being peaceful is not always the way of a warrior society. Fullbacks grandfather was a great warrior of the 20th century. The warrior tradition pervades our cultures. Remember, one reason we can accept others as equal is that we are strong in ourselves and have no need to impose on others nor do we fear what others may try to impose on us. this is a strength that comes from not shouting or being angry, but is a strength born of knowledge of our relation with the creator and with other men and women of wisdom and strength.
Wise words indeed my brother, in my younger days I too was a warrior of great strength and so was my father and my grandfather and my great grandfather they were all great warriors, it would not surprise me that Fullbacks grandfather and my father may have known one another in the South Pacific during World War II. I did two tours of duty in Vietnam. We all go through those trials of being a warrior and take with us the knowledge of that time to use for piece and tolerance, that's why old warriors become the peacemakers.osay

Old 08-20-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Wise words indeed my brother, in my younger days I too was a warrior of great strength and so was my father and my grandfather and my great grandfather they were all great warriors, it would not surprise me that Fullbacks grandfather and my father may have known one another in the South Pacific during World War II. I did two tours of duty in Vietnam. We all go through those trials of being a warrior and take with us the knowledge of that time to use for piece and tolerance, that's why old warriors become the peacemakers.osay
Grandpa Chibitty served in Europe as did all the Comanche Code-talkers. He was at Normandy on Utah Beach passing the messages. The Navajos served in the Pacific. My Grandpa Kerchee served in the Pacific, but was not a code-talker. He was in the Army and worked Explosive Ordinance Disposal. I did 20 years in the Air Force and did Desert Storm and was still in at the beginning of Afghanistan and Iraq.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality