Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2014, 07:22 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,545,741 times

Advertisements

Hmmm, some sandesh. It's a sweet from India made with milk, sugar, nuts and sweet spices, usually just cardamom. It's my favorite sweet ever, and some days we would have it at tea time (4:00 or so).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 07:42 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I did not mean for my comment about Ted Nugent to cause such a reaction and I do apologize for the discontent that it has caused for some.
Now let me tell you why I said what I did. As you know I am a Vietnam Veteran,I am also a former Navy Seal, I did two tours of duty in Vietnam and I am responsible for the loss of many lives to the enemy but I also lost three of my dearest friends during this conflict,these guys were the real heroes because they gave their lives for what we believed in at the time and those of us that returned were not unscathed by this Vietnam War. Many of us still to this day refuses to even talk about it and that appears to be a big problem.I was fortunate,I had my father, who was a World War II Veteran, to talk to and tell my stories and experiences to.It took a few years for me to get back to what would be called a normal life and even that could be questionable. So when I hear somebody like Ted Nugent talk about his patriotism and knowing what he did to keep from being drafted during that time, it makes me think of a few choice words for him, he never faced being shot at by the enemy, he never faced someone who wanted to take your life to protect theirs and their ideas, he never faced the loss of a close friend in combat, he never faced the camaraderie of Brothers in Arms and calling this poor excuse of a man a patriot is an insult to every enlisted man and woman who ever served in our armed forces both present and past. So yes, I got a little upset and in doing so said a few things that maybe I shouldn't have and for that I do apologize to those of you who sit among us in the Sacred Circle. It's often been said: Religion is for those who are afraid of Hell, Spirituality is for those who have been there... I've been there and survived. Osay
Peace, brother. Even your great wisdom cannot always prevent emotions from getting the better of us. We benefit from your wisdom here in the circle and love you enough to understand that even you are still only human. Osay.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:14 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,545,741 times
I don't know war. But I do know the feeling of having others who have not walked in my shoes misunderstanding me, putting me down in subtle ways, and talking badly about people I grew up with.

I grew up mostly with Naga people, from the Burma border region. Even in the place I lived, they were not treated well. They were different. As a little white kid, I was as different as they were, or more. Most people there were respectful and friendly towards me, so I can't complain about that.

When I moved to the USA, I was in a foreign country. I had very few friends in high school. I was an outsider. I accepted that, and I knew I could have had worse things going on.

What really bothered me, and still bothers me a lot, is people who have no idea where I came from and the people I grew up with, calling them derogatory things, sometimes not even realizing they were doing that. I realized that some people just have no idea how to think of all people as people. Ted Nugent is one of the worst. I'm glad I have never had to be around him. To insult a people as a whole can make me angry for sure, whether they are people I know, or not. I know that feeling.

To have fought for the country and still be talked down on, by someone who avoided that himself, would get my gall for sure. No apology is needed for being angry, as far as I am concerned. That's my 2 cents.

I know that in some ways I don't understand the position of Native Americans. Feel free to remind me when I don't quite get it.

Last edited by WoodstockSchool1980; 07-28-2014 at 08:45 PM..

Old 07-28-2014, 09:54 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
I am still grieved by the death of a Sikh in Arizona after the destruction of the World Trade Center............only because the moron/murderers thought he LOOKED like a Muslim because he wore a turban.

Regarding Ted Nugent, this quote expresses my feelings very well:

Quote:
Now, as Tribes build economic resources and engage in the electoral process, no matter how imperfect, they have the ability to weigh in on discussions that we previously were simply not invited to. Ultimately, reasonable people can differ on Ted Nugent specifically—I personally am not convinced he's a racist. But I do think he's a pretty nasty human being who has a penchant for saying really ugly things. Yet, irrespective of personal opinion, he's just one redneck who happens to wear his stupidity on his sleeve. If you enjoy his music, whatever. But what he represents is much larger—a disruption to the status quo of folks not needing to respect Tribes' purchasing power. "Hey Ted Nugent/Federal Express/Bank of America, if you're gonna make money off of us, that's cool, but you better come correct." The Puyallup Tribe and the Coeur d'Alene Tribe were both willing to take action and pass on a very likely highly profitable concert for principle. Principle over profit??? That's a rare and beautiful thing. We should all be proud of the Coeur d'Alene Tribe and the Puyallup Tribe for creating this discussion and we should all be proud of all the activism that's happened around this topic. This could and should continue.

Read more at A Victory for Native Power: Just Say No to Ted Nugent's Ugliness - ICTMN.com
And as Gilda Radner would say "That's the truth!"

Old 07-29-2014, 08:25 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
I realized that some people just have no idea how to think of all people as people. Ted Nugent is one of the worst.
"With a soldier's stance, I aimed my glance at the mongrel dogs who preach.
Fearing not I'd become my enemy, at the instant that I preached."

Bob Dylan

Old 07-29-2014, 10:09 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
I don't know war. But I do know the feeling of having others who have not walked in my shoes misunderstanding me, putting me down in subtle ways, and talking badly about people I grew up with.

I grew up mostly with Naga people, from the Burma border region. Even in the place I lived, they were not treated well. They were different. As a little white kid, I was as different as they were, or more. Most people there were respectful and friendly towards me, so I can't complain about that.

When I moved to the USA, I was in a foreign country. I had very few friends in high school. I was an outsider. I accepted that, and I knew I could have had worse things going on.

What really bothered me, and still bothers me a lot, is people who have no idea where I came from and the people I grew up with, calling them derogatory things, sometimes not even realizing they were doing that. I realized that some people just have no idea how to think of all people as people. Ted Nugent is one of the worst. I'm glad I have never had to be around him. To insult a people as a whole can make me angry for sure, whether they are people I know, or not. I know that feeling.

To have fought for the country and still be talked down on, by someone who avoided that himself, would get my gall for sure. No apology is needed for being angry, as far as I am concerned. That's my 2 cents.

I know that in some ways I don't understand the position of Native Americans. Feel free to remind me when I don't quite get it.
We've had similar experiences.

I have known war, though at a young age. I wasn't holding a weapon; I never killed. I was far too young for that. But war was around, and I knew a lot of the victims. Some of them were the same age I was. Many are unaware of the fighting that goes on between Muslims and Hindus. No one in the West really cares much about it - what Kim Kardashian is wearing to the next Billionaire's Ball is more important. All of it makes you grow up in a pretty damn big hurry.

When I came to the States, I was introduced to right-wing, conservative, fundamentalist religion, racist hell almost from the moment I got off the plane. Rarely was any of that directed towards me - they didn't have the guts - but I knew it was there.

I used to resent them, listening to their prejudices and crude racist jokes as they fed their fat bellies and went about their lives without fear, without death, without seeing empty chairs where their friends sat just the day before.

That resentment and anger has cooled now, though why, I cannot say. But once in awhile someone rises above the rest of those kind, a king of fools, an emperor of ignorance, and that same anger is reignited. Ted Nugent is one such person.

I suppose we all have our reasons - and anger is not always unjustified.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:20 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Nugent is multi-faceted.

He's the poster boy for stupidity, ignorance, racism, misogyny, crudity and general vileness.

He'll reap what he sows.

By the way, I brought some ballpark franks to roast over the fire. (And some veggie wieners for those disinclined to eat animal bits.)

Old 07-29-2014, 10:29 AM

3,486 posts, read 6,507,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
- and anger is not always unjustified.
Very true; however, everyone must exercise caution in how it is expressed.

Hiker45 -- Your Bob Dylan quote was pretty much on-point. ptsum has acknowledged his error in judgement, expressed his regrets, and offered a sincere apology. He extended the hand of friendship to you. What you do next will tell us much about your motives.

-- Nighteyes

Last edited by Nighteyes; 07-29-2014 at 11:40 AM..

Old 07-29-2014, 11:27 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
it's amazing how different our backgrounds are.

I'll add nachos to the feast. You can't have a bad time when sharing a plate of nachos with friends.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:42 AM

3,486 posts, read 6,507,283 times
How about some fresh beignets and French Market coffee? A word of caution, though: the coffee is strong enough to float the spoon...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality