Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2008, 06:21 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,945,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookkeeper View Post
You have made some good points. I do not agree with most of them. The reason is because you are off track to my original motives. I have not debated evolution, I have only made clear I believe in God and the Bible to sum it up. I believe that some things do evolve. Just not to the point of MY creation. I believe God created all things. There is a point that some things He created may have evolved. This is truly not my battle. Now the two of you want to make it my battle, so please, why don't the two of you get together and have fun. One more thing, 8th grade level education of evolution, does not usually go beyond the 8th grade level. Thanks for the cards and letters.
Lol well you should try college level Neo-Darwinism. The concepts are simple but the sheer amount of information that the subject covers is so insanely huge that sometimes it made me wish evolution had never been discovered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 06:53 PM

51 posts, read 84,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
Lol well you should try college level Neo-Darwinism. The concepts are simple but the sheer amount of information that the subject covers is so insanely huge that sometimes it made me wish evolution had never been discovered.
For me, this would be a subject that would better be "debated" in person, with books, websites, and coffee all around. Ha
Doing in this fashion takes too many directions, and no destination. You said it best above that the "subject covers is so insanely huge". There are too many different ways to conclude it, some with very logical input, and some with just a belief or a hunch. I doubt anyone could conclude ALL of the angles. Attitude is a big part of it whether wrong or right. Pot shots and digs when debating such a touchy subject for some, kinda ruin it for me.
I was on another thread the other day, and someone did not read behind the thread they honed in on. It just confirmed to me that grabbing a quote and responding to it with no reading of the prior pages can take one thing and turn it into a completely different subject, and can be very hurtful.

Have a great day!

Old 08-19-2008, 07:15 PM

51 posts, read 84,040 times
Default Like This? It's been driving me crazy!

[quote]
[quote=coosjoaquin;4921836]Bookkeeper if you want to quote my messages then highlight that part of my message you wish to respond to and click on the "wrap
Quote:
tags around selected text" button which looks like a speech bubble on the advanced editor.
Like this?

Quote:
sigh* If all you want is the response from AS alone then please send her a direct message. I'm not sure how I twisted what you were saying, I don't feel I did an*d you haven't said what you really meant but I guess that's all irrelevant at this point.
And This?

Quote:
I'm not sure why you would assume it is an insult.
And This? Don't worry, I'm really practicing, and enjoying it if it comes out right

Quote:
I wasn't there and neither was Elizabeth hope(she never even met Darwin) but Darwin's daughter Henrietta was when he passed away and she says no such conversion happened. The deathbed recant is a myth and no amount of unnecessary sarcasm will ever change that
And This?

Quote:
Do you have any news stories of creationism being banned? Fair enough if they ban it in a biology classroom because it's not science but if they are banning it from being taught in religious education then I disagree with people trying to do that(why would they in the first place?)
And This? Now you need to worry. I've learned a new trick!

Quote:
I'm not sure what this has to do with my post, I'm all for teaching creationism in RE but not in science classrooms. It's like teaching English in Mathematics.
See How such a simple instruction, makes such a simple person so happy

Quote:
Whatever makes one happy. Though I don't agree I can at least admire your absolute devotion.
Well, You made me smile!

Quote:
Distasteful? With all due respect what the hell are you getting offended at? That I think you are an atheist with respect to the mischief god? It's a homage to Stephen Roberts famous quote:
I see that. I was probably too busy not understanding your interest in debating with such a small conversation that I had with I don't even remember anymore.

Quote:
Seriously is atheism that offensive to you? You know what forget it, I'm pretty sure this has to do with the stigma that the term atheist carries around.
And This? It does not offend me unless it's thrown in my face just because one has nothing better to do. But, if that is NOT the case, then I can honestly say that atheism makes me very sad. What can I say

Quote:
Eh sure but why not go to the ask an atheist thread in the A&A sub-forum? Asking these type of things on a thread designed specifically for debating about the existance of a god is rather odd and out of place.
Because, I was in this thread, and so was he/she. I just stumbled upon him/her making a comment that peaked a question in me.

Thanks so much for teaching me the correct way to handle the QUOTES. I sure with you would have told me sooner!!
Take Care!

Old 01-19-2009, 02:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,390 times
Talking "God'

[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]The existence of God is proven by the fact that you even exist. The theory of evolution has been proved to be true through science, and yet there is nothing to prove how the very first atoms that joined to make the first single cell organism came to be. There had to be a begining, a cause. The thing that hasn't been proven is the other characteristics of God. If God is really an eternal "being" that made us in his likeness, one of many "Gods" that just made us out of boredom, or just some big burst of energy that god things started that really has no clue or thought process... no one can really answer this. People of all cultures make up there one version of "God", him being kind a gentile or just energy that flows through everthing. They choose to pray and believe in something because it gives them hope. Even if there is no God that can forgive and take you into the pearly gates, there is a cause that began and lead to us being here. Some are thankful for that and pray thier version of "God". Others are just small minded and belive only because they fear what would happen if there really is a Hell. There is a God/a cause, but what that God is like... nobody knows. That's the fun part [/FONT][/SIZE]

Old 01-19-2009, 02:24 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,472,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenHill2008 View Post
[SIZE=3]The existence of God is proven by the fact that you even exist. The theory of evolution has been proved to be true through science, and yet there is nothing to prove how the very first atoms that joined to make the first single cell organism came to be. There had to be a begining, a cause. The thing that hasn't been proven is the other characteristics of God. If God is really an eternal "being" that made us in his likeness, one of many "Gods" that just made us out of boredom, or just some big burst of energy that god things started that really has no clue or thought process... no one can really answer this. People of all cultures make up there one version of "God", him being kind a gentile or just energy that flows through everthing. They choose to pray and believe in something because it gives them hope. Even if there is no God that can forgive and take you into the pearly gates, there is a cause that began and lead to us being here. Some are thankful for that and pray thier version of "God". Others are just small minded and belive only because they fear what would happen if there really is a Hell. There is a God/a cause, but what that God is like... nobody knows. That's the fun part [/SIZE]

Why do you presume there is only one "cause" which was somehow the "beginning of the universe"? Do you have some legitimate reason to believe that the universe has not always existed?

Old 01-19-2009, 02:27 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,472,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
You really think your a as meaningless as a cockroach??? How sad for you.

I think you have probably met only a very few people in your life.

The more persons that you meet and in more places, the more you will see that human life is mostly meaningless. It matters not a whit whether most individuals have ever lived and died.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:11 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,025,085 times
Quote:
[SIZE=3]The existence of God is proven by the fact that you even exist. The theory of evolution has been proved to be true through science, and yet there is nothing to prove how the very first atoms that joined to make the first single cell organism came to be. There had to be a begining, a cause. The thing that hasn't been proven is the other characteristics of God. If God is really an eternal "being" that made us in his likeness, one of many "Gods" that just made us out of boredom, or just some big burst of energy that god things started that really has no clue or thought process... no one can really answer this. People of all cultures make up there one version of "God", him being kind a gentile or just energy that flows through everthing. They choose to pray and believe in something because it gives them hope. Even if there is no God that can forgive and take you into the pearly gates, there is a cause that began and lead to us being here. Some are thankful for that and pray thier version of "God". Others are just small minded and belive only because they fear what would happen if there really is a Hell. There is a God/a cause, but what that God is like... nobody knows. That's the fun part [/SIZE]
The existence of people doesn't prove there's a god. That seems to be more an opinion since someone can't empirically substantiate the claim that a god exists. The fact that the universe had a beginning doesn't necessarily imply that a higher power exists since what happened before the universe is unknown so it is also possible that matter has existed eternally and the matter that existed is what created the universe. Also, if the universe came from nothing, that doesn't necessarily mean that it was a god that caused it since it begs the question that if the universe came from nothing then how did god create something from nothing. If the universe came from nothing, it is also possible that natural processes is what caused it.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:13 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,668,056 times
Fifty one pages and more than 500 posts, and the bottom line has never changed. I can't prove there is a God, and you can't prove there isn't. A strange bet to take; one of us is right, and we don't have a means of finding out who it is!

Old 01-19-2009, 04:19 PM

1,186 posts, read 2,253,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
if the universe came from nothing then how did god create something from nothing.
God does not need any thing to create something he just say Be and it is.

To Him is due the primal origin of the heavens and the earth:
When He decreeth a matter, He
saith to it: "Be," and it is. 2:117

Old 01-19-2009, 04:20 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,040,143 times
Quote:
So you are defining God as "the specific reason why everything is the way it is." Here's basically what you said:

A. We are here, and there is an explanation as to how and why we got this way.
B. This explanation is God.
C. Therefore God exists.

I agree there is an explanation, but once you take away all the 'God characteristics' that even you admitted are unprovable, why call it God anymore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality