Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 12:39 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I am not an atheist*; but the twisted and incoherent logic and verbage of those who are upholding the Christian and organized religions viewpoint, makes atheism seem like the only logical choice.

*I believe in a power and entity greater than myself. I believe that the marvelous universe and the ongoing processes of creation (including evelution); and the mysterious connection and unity of all things; and the spirit that imbues all things; and the indefinable emotions and qualities of which we are capable (e.g. sacrificial love); and the urge to justice and social improvement, and the miracle of life.......taken all together....are God.

I don't attribute any consciousness to God and certainly don't think God needs to be worshiped, but I do believe we need to honor God in the way we treat others and the way we treat the entire creation. I do love ceremony and ritual and believe they can be used to teach, inspire, comfort and re dedicate ourselves to our higher purpose. (I go to a liberal affirming welcoming church.)

I believe that peace and justice and stewardship of the earth are congruent with God, and that war and injustice are incompatible. I also believe that there is comfort and healing power for the wounded and hurt, I believe that death is as natural as life and nothing to be feared or dreaded.

I believe that Jesus taught us many important truths about how to live......but that he has nothing to do with the discussion of GOD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Interesting. MY God doesn't much look like me. I thought we were created in His image, which is a little vague too.

I have to agree with you elston. MY God isn't sitting on a cloud up there somewhere either, grooming his long white beard, and holding the stone tablets of the Ten Commandments in his hands, either. Nor is He vindictive or cruel, uncaring, unkind. He doesn't make us sick, doesn't make us well. . . I'm not quite sure if he listens to prayers, or if He is indeed a He.

He's everywhere.

I don't think anyone really has the right to tell me who or what my God is, any more than what I have a right to tell them.

I think you both have a very moderate or liberal view on religion, and have taken the 'good' bits and discarded the 'bad'. The flipside is that you will be critisized by both conservative christians and atheists for ignoring the bible and creating your own personal God. I'm sure from reading your posts that you have a wonderful philosophy on life.. but why involve a God attal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 02:58 PM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
Default I do my best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Jesus said the greatest commandment is love, and knowing Elston as I do, he does not break that commandment...
Thank You Dear Friend!

When I read something like the post accusing me of breaking the first commandment: I think how sad it is, to have the letter of the law written on ones sleeve but to miss the entire meaning in ones heart.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:23 PM

51 posts, read 166,955 times
Quote:
I am not an atheist*; but the twisted and incoherent logic and verbage of those who are upholding the Christian and organized religions viewpoint, makes atheism seem like the only logical choice.

*I believe in a power and entity greater than myself. I believe that the marvelous universe and the ongoing processes of creation (including evelution); and the mysterious connection and unity of all things; and the spirit that imbues all things; and the indefinable emotions and qualities of which we are capable (e.g. sacrificial love); and the urge to justice and social improvement, and the miracle of life.......taken all together....are God.

I don't attribute any consciousness to God and certainly don't think God needs to be worshiped, but I do believe we need to honor God in the way we treat others and the way we treat the entire creation. I do love ceremony and ritual and believe they can be used to teach, inspire, comfort and re dedicate ourselves to our higher purpose. (I go to a liberal affirming welcoming church.)

I believe that peace and justice and stewardship of the earth are congruent with God, and that war and injustice are incompatible. I also believe that there is comfort and healing power for the wounded and hurt, I believe that death is as natural as life and nothing to be feared or dreaded.

I believe that Jesus taught us many important truths about how to live......but that he has nothing to do with the discussion of GOD.
elston, this is great! I joined these forums just to comment on this post

Can you tell me where you go to church? I find your views refreshing and helpful - and would love to find out where there are multiple people that are just as tolerant and understanding. Thanks in advance!

Old 05-06-2008, 03:32 PM

9,732 posts, read 4,063,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Interesting. MY God doesn't much look like me. I thought we were created in His image, which is a little vague too.

I have to agree with you elston. MY God isn't sitting on a cloud up there somewhere either, grooming his long white beard, and holding the stone tablets of the Ten Commandments in his hands, either. Nor is He vindictive or cruel, uncaring, unkind. He doesn't make us sick, doesn't make us well. . . I'm not quite sure if he listens to prayers, or if He is indeed a He.

He's everywhere.

I don't think anyone really has the right to tell me who or what my God is, any more than what I have a right to tell them.

They are godless men, who change the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord. Yet these men speak abusively against whatever they do not understand; and what things they do understand by instinct, like unreasoning animals-these are the very things that destroy them. These men are grumblers and faultfinders; they follow their own evil desires; they boast about themselves and flatter others for their own advantage. Jude 1

Old 05-06-2008, 03:35 PM

9,732 posts, read 4,063,385 times
Quote:
Thank You Dear Friend!

When I read something like the post accusing me of breaking the first commandment: I think how sad it is, to have the letter of the law written on ones sleeve but to miss the entire meaning in ones heart.

There are none so blind as those who will not see.
Simple platitudes do not equal the word of God.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:36 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,450,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Repeat, please, after me: There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:35 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times
Quote:
They are godless men, who change the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord. Yet these men speak abusively against whatever they do not understand; and what things they do understand by instinct, like unreasoning animals-these are the very things that destroy them. These men are grumblers and faultfinders; they follow their own evil desires; they boast about themselves and flatter others for their own advantage. Jude 1

I enjoyed this quote...

Old 05-06-2008, 07:36 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
I think you both have a very moderate or liberal view on religion, and have taken the 'good' bits and discarded the 'bad'. The flipside is that you will be critisized by both conservative christians and atheists for ignoring the bible and creating your own personal God. I'm sure from reading your posts that you have a wonderful philosophy on life.. but why involve a God attal?

And this one as well!

Old 05-07-2008, 04:02 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,357,250 times
Quote:
I read your post and think you are a perfect example why religion needs to be abolished. You are the poster child of intolerance, and so fearful of looking out of your own box that you attack everyone with an idea different than yours. What a sad picture you paint.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:58 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
I guess it depends on who you are calling an atheist. I personally wouldn't be offended because I am one but for someone who thinks of themselves are religious, I am sure they might find it an insult. Depends entirely on your point of view.

Having said that I don't go about shouting things like that at people and I would be rather taken aback at someone doing that. I don't look at someone and put them in a category like that, anymore then I think of a person based on their race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality