Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 04:01 PM

51 posts, read 166,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
They were not doing it in the name of atheism, but from an athiest view point as their personal motivation.
sandgirl - do you have quotes or literature to back that up? In order to consider that point of view, it'd help to have something backing it up. I'd be interested in their motivations, too.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 04:02 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
So there is now "atheist" motivation.
Interesting because I see unbelievable amounts of "christian" motivation here.

I do like how you demonize atheists, sandgirl. It's very christian of you.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:10 PM

9,732 posts, read 4,063,385 times
[quote=GCSTroop;3707746]Atheist viewpoint as motivation? Explain to me how that works and if you have evidence that says Mao, Stalin, Pot did such as justification than I'd like to see it. Otherwise, it stands as an uneducated assumption.[/quote

I have a relative who lived during that time period, and remembers the history well. Thank you.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:11 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Please tell me how you are defining religious wars?
Wars fought in the name of god, or one religion trying to expel or eradicate another....Here ya go...Educate yourself, and google "religious wars", but do not choose atheist or religious sites..Many religious wars are still going on as we speak. Here are a couple of sites to start you off.

RELIGIOUS WARS A Bloody zeal - TIME

Germany :: Religious war and the Peace of Augsburg --* Britannica Online Encyclopedia

Old 05-08-2008, 04:17 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
[quote=sandgirl;3707867]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Atheist viewpoint as motivation? Explain to me how that works and if you have evidence that says Mao, Stalin, Pot did such as justification than I'd like to see it. Otherwise, it stands as an uneducated assumption.[/quote

I have a relative who lived during that time period, and remembers the history well. Thank you.
So, you're just using an argument from authority without anything to support it? I have relatives that lived during that time period as well but the focus seemed to be more on Communism as a threat rather than Atheism. So, explain to me what the atheistic motivations for Stalin or these other leaders were. Do you have the same motivations because you do not believe in Allah? After all, you are an A-Allahist right?

Old 05-08-2008, 04:29 PM

9,732 posts, read 4,063,385 times
[quote=GCSTroop;3707953]
Quote:

So, you're just using an argument from authority without anything to support it? I have relatives that lived during that time period as well but the focus seemed to be more on Communism as a threat rather than Atheism. So, explain to me what the atheistic motivations for Stalin or these other leaders were. Do you have the same motivations because you do not believe in Allah? After all, you are an A-Allahist right?
I have my relatives narrative history, plus my own observations and study.
This is my opinion, communism and atheism go hand in hand. I'm not going to try and change your opinion, not that I could.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:32 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Interesting, I'm not communist, but I'm atheist.
Point disproven. Not too difficult.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:40 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,450,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
GCS, you get to debunk once again, and again, and again.
I'm always interested in why christians fear atheism/agnosticism so much.
Largely because atheism, and atheists, are a threat to many of them. Seems to me one would have to be awfully insecure in his beliefs to feel such a threat -- and to have to go on the offensive, no less.

Live and let live.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:40 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
[quote=sandgirl;3708082]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post

I have my relatives narrative history, plus my own observations and study.
This is my opinion, communism and atheism go hand in hand. I'm not going to try and change your opinion, not that I could.
So... based on your observations and study, communism and atheism are not mutually exclusive? In other words, all communists are atheists and all atheists are communists? Wow... would you like a broader brush to paint your proselytizing, derogatory pictures with?

Old 05-08-2008, 04:53 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Quote:
I'm sorry you hate God so much that His word offends you, and makes you so angry.
I don't believe in god, I don't hate something I don't believe exists.

Quote:
No, not correct.
Chairman Mao who killed over 50 million of his people. Stalin who killed over 35 million of his people. Poll Pot who killed over 3 million of his people. All of these dictators were atheist.
There are bad people everywhere. I would NEVER dream of killing someone since this life is all we have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality