Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 10:32 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,520,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happynoodleboycey View Post
But the Bible is just some book. If God does exist then he created us logical, rational beings so surely he would have figured that a few thousand years after the book was written, there would be a lot of skepticism surrounding it. A lot of the 'facts' within the Bible have been proven to be incorrect (some are just common sense) so how can we possibly be expected to base our entire worldview on a text that is littered with errors and that we have no proof as to who actually wrote it in the first place?

To me it seems as though if there is a god he's the 'prankster god' Bill Hicks was talking about - a God that enjoys watching us ponder and agonize over his existence. Mabye it's his form of brain training? Or mabye he's just a creation in the mind of humans, designed to provide answers to unanswerable questions. What a bizarre paradigm that would be; the creations created the creator. People can believe or not believe in a god all they like but in the end we're all agnostic at heart because none of us know for sure. If there is a god, we'll find out when we die. If there isn't, we'll never know.

I think about animals...if they are just created to be used by man, why have them feel pain, fear, suffering, joy? They sure do feel these things. I can't imagine the terror and pain an animal feels with vivisection. I cannot imagine what it is like for an animal like a pig in a factory farm, to be in one stall, not able to move around, from birth till death, after they've cut its tail off. They say some actually go insane.
The animal deal makes no sense. They can't learn from pain, they can't become stronger, or be rewarded with an after life, so what is the purpose?
If this alleged God watches them being hurt, hunted, trapped, dissected, or beaten, and doesn't help, what is the purpose of that? That is his will?????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 10:47 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,035,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
He has revealed Himself to us in the Bible. If that's not good enough, then consider this: He is so holy that for us as sinners, if we were to look upon Him, we would die because of our unholiness.

Sorry if that doesn't cover it but that's the way it is. I didn't write it, I didn't set the rules. If you have a problem with it, you need to go to God about it and ask Him. I haven't seen Him but I know He is there. I don't have to see Him in order to believe, I just do.
I'm not gonna believe hearsay. The bible is hearsay. I may as well believe when people tell me they saw UFOs or the tree octopus. If you take hearsay for fact, then you are at risk of being tricked. Jesus showed himself to many people, why can't he show himself to us? God has omnipotent power and can do absolutely anything, so why not?

A slight emotion change or a heart flutter is not good enough. That happens when I see something funny, or a poetic sentence hits me as profound, or I am with my family. These are not God, they are natural, physiological reactions.

Why is God so stubborn that he lets 2/3 of the world's population suffer eternally in hell, when all he has to do is actually physically appear and tell us all what to do? God can easily affect the physical realm, he created it!

Old 10-30-2008, 12:58 AM

378 posts, read 626,929 times
Ask yourself... what was there BEFORE the blank space in the sky? Nothing. And matter can't appear out of a blank space. God does reveal himself... just look around... realize the fact you are aware, that you aren't your brother or mother or father, you're you. How is that possible? Because you have a spirit. God himself is a spirit. Again, something does NOT come from nothing there. God did it.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:01 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,483,906 times
nothing wrong with being an agnostic.
as to god revealing himself, people see and hear just what they want to.
got reveals himself all the time but he says and does things people don't wana hear.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:30 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,023,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
Ask yourself... what was there BEFORE the blank space in the sky? Nothing. And matter can't appear out of a blank space. God does reveal himself... just look around... realize the fact you are aware, that you aren't your brother or mother or father, you're you. How is that possible? Because you have a spirit. God himself is a spirit. Again, something does NOT come from nothing there. God did it.

If you study origins of the universe you will find that there was always "something", which is energy. The Big Bang was the result of highly compressed energy (that is simplistic, layman's terms). And if nothing can come from nothing, then where did God come from? Exactly! Energy...which was always there and which is what created the Universe. It's a huge googleplex!

Old 10-30-2008, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
nothing wrong with being an agnostic.
as to god revealing himself, people see and hear just what they want to.
got reveals himself all the time but he says and does things people don't wana hear.
I can assure you I hear many things I don't want to hear. Usually these are things like loud traffic noise outside my window when I'm trying to sleep.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRR View Post
Agree that there is only one reality. You either believe in a self existent eternal being who is the cause of our reality or you believe that our reality arose uncaused from nothing. Both require faith. The only questions are which is more reasonable? and which is true?
Actually there is the third option, not professing to know that which cannot be known. And yes, which is most reasonable?
Quote:
Totally agree. Every false religion seeks to "find" God. Seeing that God is obviously invisible this would be naturally impossible unless God were to reveal himself. God has revealed himself in 1. Nature 2. His Word - The Holy Bible 3. His Son - Jesus Christ.

He has revealed himself to you, see above. If you are hoping for a specific personal revelation then it may or may not happen. For instance, God appeared to the Apostle Paul to prevent him from persecuting the early church and Paul converted to Christianity. Most people do not receive this benefit, although my Uncle believes that God spoke to him in an audible voice and he went from being an alcoholic to an upstanding Christian overnight.
These are not God revealing himself to me. If Paul got a personal revelation, then we all deserve one. I'm not going to believe hearsay. Paul claimed to have a vision, but he used it for political advantage, just like Constantine, Joseph Smith, etc. If it's so easy for God to reveal himself, why doesn't he? Why does he instead let 2/3 of the world suffer eternal damnation?

Old 10-30-2008, 07:56 AM

23,023 posts, read 34,409,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
If it's so easy for God to reveal himself, why doesn't he? Why does he instead let 2/3 of the world suffer eternal damnation?
It's called unbelief.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:51 PM

1,577 posts, read 3,701,971 times
So you as a mortal are telling an all powerful, immortal, non-corporeal entity floating around the cosmos that he is required to do something? lmao, good luck with that.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:00 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,118,379 times
Quote:
I'm not gonna believe hearsay. The bible is hearsay.
Well then, how about this. You don't know me; you have never met me and we have never talked with one another. You have no idea what I look like or what I sound like yet you know me by my words which you see here. You know what I stand for and what I believe simply by reading what I have written.

God's Word is the same thing. You either believe that the words in the Bible are inspired by Him or you do not. You either believe that He exists and is who He is or you do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality