Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2022, 04:32 AM

16,809 posts, read 5,007,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
"there is no evidence" is a belief statement. it is the belief statement of someone who believes there is no evidence.
Then provide some factual evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2022, 04:43 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,661,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
No, as this perception does not exist. You are referring to the ability to believe in many different gods, which is different to actually perceiving something, as is seen by the fact that most people 'perceive' a god that created your alleged god. The god most people believe in (Yahweh) is mutually exclusive to what you label a god.
It's ALL God. Anything and everything is just One Thing...and it's God. Humans have developed many representative entities...but it's all God.
Again...you are like a blind man telling the sighted that vision does not exist, and they only "believe" they can see. And you base this upon the fact that you lack visual ability yourself...so you think that the ability to perceive things through sight does not exist, and that all the normal sighted people are "making it up".
It is most unfortunate that you lack the common/normal perceptive ability possessed by the vast majority...I will pray for you.

Old 08-18-2022, 04:52 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,661,769 times
Quote:
Yet most people 'perceive' Yahweh, while you do not.
Oh yes ..I do. I perceive Yahweh/Jehovah/Allah/Etc as the beautiful representative entities of The Oneness (Reality) that is God. It's all God.
You can put any "name" to God that you'd like. God by any name, was, is, and always will be, The Divine.
Once you get hip to that, you will come to greater understanding.

Old 08-18-2022, 06:21 AM

20,443 posts, read 12,809,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
When there is NO evidence scientifically or otherwise, it is NOT a belief, it is a FACT.

LOL really? I think there are a lot of posters here that 'believe' you are dishonest in what you are saying. Or are very confident in their assessment that you are wishy-washy and combative.

No it is not subjective, an opinion or a personal view; a fact is a fact. The fact is that you have no evidence for your claims. Stop talking in circles. Like I said the burden of proof falls on you.

Your last ridiculous statement is not even worth a response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Is it possible evidence may be discovered in the future?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Of course, we are still learning about our world and universe and anything presented as tangible, undeniable evidence will always be taken under consideration. Science doesn't discriminate.
If that’s the case, can you really say it’s a FACT?

Old 08-18-2022, 06:41 AM

22,291 posts, read 19,267,501 times
Quote:
No, as this perception does not exist. You are referring to the ability to believe in many different gods, which is different to actually perceiving something, as is seen by the fact that most people 'perceive' a god that created your alleged god. The god most people believe in (Yahweh) is mutually exclusive to what you label a god.
what is labelled a "fact" above, is not a fact.
it is a personal view, a subjective opinion. it is your belief. it is what you believe.

another example of not knowing what a fact is. a demonstrated inability to differentiate between fact and opinion, between fact and personal view.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 08-18-2022 at 06:52 AM..

Old 08-18-2022, 08:09 AM

50,915 posts, read 24,413,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
"your definition"
definitions vary

ergo subjective. it is your belief what the word evidence means.
= personal view, subjective opinion.

evidence varies (and is subjective)
definitions of what is evidence also vary (and are subjective)
and beliefs about what is evidence vary (and are subjective)
Yes, definitions vary, but a fact is not subjective. In your woo-ness you have a weakness discerning that some things are factual, while others are not factual.

Right now it's 83.5 degrees on my calibrated weather station in my back yard. I can look at other facts in our area right now -- cloud cover, other networked weather stations in my immediate area, weather maps, etc. I can see those facts. And THEN, I can interpret those facts. It's interpretation that varies, not the facts.

Works the same with spiritual things. I had a day long even in Lopburi, Thailand. Visited something like 8 temples, a summer palace, and several other historic sites...without a map, without signs (they were in Thai), without asking directions...all in a city of 60,000. Those are facts. I interpret it as evidence of a past life there. Others who have heard my story interpret it differently. Can't say who is right...but the facts didn't change.

Evidence has a degree of factuality to it. A fingerprint on a gun or knife is just that -- a fact. Apprehending a suspect who has that gun or knife on him is a fact. Then the interpretations of those and other facts begin. But the facts do not change. A witness report is -- like my day in Lopburi -- not a fact. The witness tells what he sees, and interpretation sneaks in. While a security video provides facts.

You clearly have trouble determining the difference between fact and interpretation, and you always assume that your interpretation is the only correct interpretation.

Old 08-18-2022, 08:12 AM

50,915 posts, read 24,413,204 times
Quote:
Yet most people 'perceive' Yahweh, while you do not.
Yes. And as you and I and others keep trying to point out, he is another poster who is confusing fact and interpretation, and he's egotistical enough to assume that only his interpretation is the correct interpretation, and is therefore fact. It's a good example of very limited thinking.

Old 08-18-2022, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes, definitions vary, but a fact is not subjective. In your woo-ness you have a weakness discerning that some things are factual, while others are not factual. Right now it's 83.5 degrees on my calibrated weather station in my back yard. I can look at other facts in our area right now -- cloud cover, other networked weather stations in my immediate area, weather maps, etc. I can see those facts. And THEN, I can interpret those facts. It's interpretation that varies, not the facts. Works the same with spiritual things. I had a day long even in Lopburi, Thailand. Visited something like 8 temples, a summer palace, and several other historic sites...without a map, without signs (they were in Thai), without asking directions...all in a city of 60,000. Those are facts. I interpret it as evidence of a past life there. Others who have heard my story interpret it differently. Can't say who is right...but the facts didn't change. Evidence has a degree of factuality to it. A fingerprint on a gun or knife is just that -- a fact. Apprehending a suspect who has that gun or knife on him is a fact. Then the interpretations of those and other facts begin. But the facts do not change. A witness report is -- like my day in Lopburi -- not a fact. The witness tells what he sees, and interpretation sneaks in. While a security video provides facts. You clearly have trouble determining the difference between fact and interpretation, and you always assume that your interpretation is the only correct interpretation.
bold above, exactly.
Harry (for example) labels things in his posts as "fact" which are NOT fact. but which are his subjective personal views, his interpretation, his conclusions, his subjective opinions. They are not fact. This demonstrates that he does not know how to use the word fact, and is unable to differentiate between facts, and opinion, interpretation, personal views, subjective beliefs.

Old 08-18-2022, 08:20 AM

16,708 posts, read 15,705,282 times
Quit arguing about definitions! Just stop it.

Does anybody have anything they would like to "Ask an atheist?"

Old 08-18-2022, 08:24 AM

I would like to ask any atheists interested in responding, how they differentiate between facts and their beliefs, between facts and their own personal subjective opinions. Because I notice on CD how common it is in posts for people to call something a fact, when it is not a fact, but is instead their subjective opinion, their personal view, their belief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality