Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2022, 09:05 PM

9,357 posts, read 13,024,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Ouch.
then why the invitation to Ask an Atheist…? in the Religion &Spirituality space if the intention is spiritual assault based on a subjective feeling of being condescended to? who but those interested and into those very things would be asking? if it is an invitation to those who might have an interest in Atheism then would this not get more attention without need to assault in the A&A space? of course anyone can post anywhere. Cheer and goodwill to all.
I wasn’t referring to you. My momentary gripe is with the poster who doesn’t understand the difference between sight and belief and will “pray for” me until my critical thinking skills regress to his level. That’s condescension, friend.

And asking questions is great. But if you pose questions from atop a pedestal of faux superiority, don’t be shocked when people push back and don’t roll out the welcome wagon. Let’s say you started an “Ask a Hindu” thread. You’d probably get pretty snarky if someone asked if you think you will gain the common and normal ability to enjoy a hamburger, like 85% of the people that have ever lived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2022, 09:08 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,800,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I have to admit that I don't see it as "picking a fight". I see it as demanding acceptance of their belief. And they have no right to demand that.
Ok however you want to phrase it is fine with me. It doesn't change the fact that I've had to block posters because of their constant harassment and arguing over really dumb things like whether or not non-belief is actually a belief. That's some ss right there. That's what I was talking about. Cherry-picking words from posts and taking them out of context is intentionally causing emotions to run high and spawning angry posts, I see that as trying to pick fights.

You're absolutely correct, they have no right but that doesn't stop them.

Old 08-18-2022, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
My faith is not blind. It is based on observation and logic.
”Blind” wasn’t my choice of word. But when you say your faith is based on observation and logic, are you speaking metaphorically and allegorically?

Old 08-18-2022, 09:11 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,660,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
It is blind faith. Observation of what? There is nothing to observe because there is no evidence of a god or gods. And logic......come on. You think believing in something without evidence is logical?
The God I perceive (Reality)...comports definitively, and objectively exists.
And is fully evidenced and self-substantiating...unequivocally and irrefutably.
There can be a claim that the metaphorical and allegorical Deity characters that represent "God" in ancient works of literary art, do not objectively exist.
But that claim cannot be reasonably and validly made for all perceptions and manifestations of God.

Old 08-18-2022, 09:15 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,805,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
”Blind” wasn’t my choice of word. But when you say your faith is based on observation and logic, are you speaking metaphorically and allegorically?
I’m saying it is illogical to think all that we observe just happened. A creator/mover/god is logical.

Old 08-18-2022, 09:18 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,805,921 times
Quote:
It is blind faith. Observation of what? There is nothing to observe because there is no evidence of a god or gods. And logic......come on. You think believing in something without evidence is logical?
Hence why your “faith” died out. You’re confused and angry.

Old 08-18-2022, 09:21 PM

22,267 posts, read 19,259,001 times
Quote:
Now, was that so hard? All atheists can differentiate between fact, fiction, beliefs, personal opinions. We're thinking rationally, objectively, logically and scientifically. Of course, we all have different and opposing opinions and personal feelings about certain things but we are still very much human, not robots. Facts are facts. There's no wiggle room. I think it may be you that has trouble distinguishing between fact, opinion, and beliefs or non-belief.
(a) you chose not answer the question asked. either because you are unwilling to answer the simple question, or unable to answer it.
(b) bold above is hilarious. that is one of the funniest posts on CD i've read in months.
(c) the statements in bold above are shown to be inaccurate and not true by, well, the post above. nifty. to state something and show how it is clearly not the case, all in the same short post. neato.

simple question asked was this (which person posting above declined to answer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
I would like to ask any atheists interested in responding, how they differentiate between facts and their beliefs, between facts and their own personal subjective opinions. Because I notice on CD how common it is in posts for people to call something a fact, when it is not a fact, but is instead their subjective opinion, their personal view, their belief.

Old 08-18-2022, 09:22 PM

Quote:
I’m saying it is illogical to think all that we observe just happened.
But why? Is the world such a perfect place that it could only be the product of a divine master planner?

Quote:
A creator/mover/god is logical.
Perhaps according do your belief system, but that’s not universally true across religious traditions, particularly polytheistic ones.

Old 08-18-2022, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Not sure why you would ask this only of Atheists, but you did. A fact is something proven to be true. Perhaps someone mentioned that X was a fact and you do not believe it has been proven true as I do not know the context where you believe atheists but not theists do not understand the meaning of the term fact.
because the moderator in post #483 reminded us to ask questions to atheists

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Does anybody have anything they would like to "Ask an atheist?"

Old 08-18-2022, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Because the moderator has reminded everyone to stick to the topic, Ask an Atheist. And i think that is why Tzap framed her question that way. But i think it is an interesting subject in and of itself, not just how atheists see it. What are facts?Here is a definition.Trump is the best President ever. Is this a fact? Could there be an objective test to prove this true or false?To keep to the topic, I will address this question to an atheist if they would like to answer.
bold above, yes exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality