Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2022, 10:28 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,656,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
I am the OP, it doesn't matter what else is being said in the thread about the thread and everyone's 'intentions'. Me, Northsouth......I am telling you that it was my intention to have real discussions and debates. Some of you are here just to argue and fight. Everyone except a few can see that.

So, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. You don't want to know about atheism and atheists but there are 10 more people who WANT to ask questions and read or post about it or tell their story about how they came to their faith or lack thereof.

That's the intention. If you get assaulted by an atheist at least you know they're not praying to a god to strike you dead.

You're going to get attacked here. And it most likely won't be by an atheist unless you're picking a fight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Okay.

And I think christianity is laughable since all of the 'great' bible stories all happened during the period of undocumented history and haven't repeated in the time of modern man when we could study them. Y'all are still listening to goat herders. But go ahead...god turned anyone into a pillar of salt lately?

See how easy that kind of thinking is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
One thing I do understand from my own experience in fundamentalism is that not every fundamentalist is wound that tight or buys into every conspiracy theory or cultural grievance that the leadership cooks up. I think however that in recent years it has come to pass that the lunatics are very much running the asylum and whatever moderating influence more thoughtful evangelicals might have had, is about as influential now as so called "principled Republicans" in the GOP. Which is to say they are effectively frozen out. Not all of them have gone over to atheism, some are agnostics or liberal Christians now. It is telling however that none of those "fates" were thinkable to me a mere 30 years ago. Like you, I really was invested, and never though it would come to this, lol.
Quote:
So you are still listening to goat herders, etc.

I'd rather put my faith in science.
Quote:
No more so than embracing all religious woo.
In some Countries, even today, the only evidence that a court will accept (even for major crimes) is Personal Testimony.
Anecdotal is considered the ultimate "evidence" and "facts"...and outweighs anything else.
Also...any disparaging remarks/writing/depictions, and any insults of Gods, Prophets, or "Sacred Entities" is cause for heavy punishment, even execution.
That is how poorly hundreds of millions of people in this world look upon the insult and criticism of Theistic/Religious Beliefs & Faith.
Yet...even knowing this...some do it anyway. Of course, not there, or directly to them...whereby they would have to back up their insolence.
Question to Atheists: Why, knowing how so many feel about it, would you insult and mock Theistic/ Religious Beliefs & Faith, and those that embrace it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2022, 10:31 AM

50,860 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
There is no such thing as chance. There is always a cause. Chance is just a word we use when we don’t know the cause or are too lazy or uninterested to find out.
Baloney. I ran into an acquaintance of mine at a mini-mall in Hawaii one year.
I ran into a man who had dated my mother in high school when I visited a Mormon museum 60 year later.

So what. Neither had any meaning. Pure chance.

Old 08-19-2022, 10:47 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,798,703 times
Quote:
Baloney. I ran into an acquaintance of mine at a mini-mall in Hawaii one year.
I ran into a man who had dated my mother in high school when I visited a Mormon museum 60 year later.

So what. Neither had any meaning. Pure chance.
Nonsense! Those people had a reason for being there and so did you.

Old 08-19-2022, 10:48 AM

16,786 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
There is no such thing as chance.

I would gamble that maybe you are using the wrong word.

Quote:
There is always a cause. Chance is just a word we use when we don’t know the cause or are too lazy or uninterested to find out.
Even if true, that does not lead to a god. You still need to show how a god is the logical answer.

Old 08-19-2022, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Nonsense! Those people had a reason for being there and so did you.
Oh, we all had reasons for being there, but not for meeting. So I wave to a person from the balcony of a mini-mall in Hawaii...that has deep meaning to you? Nonsense.

But if you want to assign a mystical meaning for everything...fine. You meet me on this forum so that you can learn that atheism and Buddhism is the reality you should believe in.

See how that works?

Old 08-19-2022, 10:56 AM

16,786 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
It is not acstatement.
Mathematics and words occupy different realms. Numbers, like Shakira’s hips, don’t lie.
Mathematics is also a language, it shares the same components. That things like it's grammar differs from that of English is of no relevance, as the grammar of English differs to that of Chinese. But it still has a grammar, as well as syntax, vocabulary, etc.

Old 08-19-2022, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Mathematics is also a language, it shares the same components. That things like it's grammar differs from that of English is of no relevance, as the grammar of English differs to that of Chinese. But it still has a grammar, as well as syntax, vocabulary, etc.
Correct. But, as to the other poster's statement -- numbers don't lie, but numbers can be manipulated to misrepresent.

Old 08-19-2022, 11:26 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,799,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Thank you for your honest thread.

I was discussing this topic with my wife last night.
The whole theist,atheist,agnostic,faith, no faith conundrum

I have had an experience that changed my life. Prior to that, I don't honestly know what I was. Went to church as a kid. Parents were vague about any belief system. I quess I was agnostic. Maybe.
Didn't really think about.
My behavior could best be decribed as pagan

My experience is as if a loved one walked up behind you and stood there. You know someones there.
And like when you confide with a loved one, who says nothing, but you know they empathize, and want the best for you.

I knew it was "real", but not in a way my limited senses or language could ( or can ) articulate.

So.....my wife asks ( half joking ) prove it.

Obviously I can't

But I then pointed out times she has met someone at say the grocery store, and had a nice conversation. I could ask for the same proof.

I guess my point is, I fully understand the atheist and agnostic point of view. I know it. I had it.

My wife said most rational people would think I'm crazy. I understand.
It does sound crazy.

But I honestly have no better way to describe my faith.
This is a perfect example of the kind of post I was hoping for in this thread. Sorry if I never responded Oakback I got distracted by a very nasty post right off the bat.

So you used to be an agnostic atheist and now you aren't? Just making sure I'm understanding correctly about that.

I'm actually an agnostic atheist but seems like no one understands that so it's just easier to say atheist lol.

Thank you for your response.â…˜
Lb

Old 08-19-2022, 11:40 AM

15,980 posts, read 7,039,821 times
Quote:
Say Hello, how are you? in Mathematics !

Old 08-19-2022, 11:49 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,798,703 times
Quote:

I would gamble that maybe you are using the wrong word.

Even if true, that does not lead to a god. You still need to show how a god is the logical answer.
A creator/mover/god is the best answer for why we are here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality