Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2022, 11:50 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Oh, we all had reasons for being there, but not for meeting. So I wave to a person from the balcony of a mini-mall in Hawaii...that has deep meaning to you? Nonsense.

But if you want to assign a mystical meaning for everything...fine. You meet me on this forum so that you can learn that atheism and Buddhism is the reality you should believe in.

See how that works?
You met because you both had reason to be there at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2022, 12:24 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Say Hello, how are you? in Mathematics !
Suggest you Google "is mathematics a language" and open your mind.

Old 08-19-2022, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You met because you both had reason to be there at the same time.
Nonsense

Old 08-19-2022, 01:12 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Suggest you Google "is mathematics a language" and open your mind.
There are better ways to open your mind than Google.

Mathematics is not a language you can speak in, just like the awareness of Divinity cannot be expressed in words. It is an abstract concept, as Divinity is. You only know 2+2 equals 4. But you cannot explain why, that is an abstract concept. You can demonstrate with coins and counting, but still it does not answer the question why. There is no answer to why Divinity either, it just is.

It is about wooing the divinity that exists in Mathematics.
There, I said woo be fore you.

Old 08-19-2022, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
There are better ways to open your mind than Google.

Mathematics is not a language you can speak in, just like the awareness of Divinity cannot be expressed in words. It is an abstract concept, as Divinity is. You only know 2+2 equals 4. But you cannot explain why, that is an abstract concept. You can demonstrate with coins and counting, but still it does not answer the question why. There is no answer to why Divinity either, it just is.

It is about wooing the divinity that exists in Mathematics.
There, I said woo be fore you.
Google is only a search engine. It's the scholarly articles you need to read.

Old 08-19-2022, 01:41 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Creator/god/mover, call it whatever you want. A cause is logical; chance is not.
What chance are you talking about ? If it is evolution it does not happen by chance. Evolution isn't predictable, and randomness is key in determining how things change. But that's not the same as saying life evolves by chance.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...-observations/

Old 08-19-2022, 07:24 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,795,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I do have a question, since you've given me permission.

Do you believe your more anti-religion, or anti-religious people?
It's my observation, that many "atheists" in particular share a resentment and distrust of religion and religious people. ( which I totally understand)
Missed this one too I guess, unless I already responded in the thread somewhere. I'm not either one. I'm not anti anything when it comes to religion but some of the members of some of the religions are extremists and it's dangerous to be around such people.

I have a problem with those who use religion as an excuse to murder those who don't agree with them and control followers that have been indoctrinated. I'm pretty sure most people feel that way so that wouldn't be considered anti-religion or specific to atheists. That's just common sense.

Not sure where you observed that many atheists share resentment and distrust of religion or the religious because that isn't true in my case. I can't speak for anyone else.

I do not think belief in gods or a god is good for the mind when it is so radically extreme.

Old 08-19-2022, 08:39 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Missed this one too I guess, unless I already responded in the thread somewhere. I'm not either one. I'm not anti anything when it comes to religion but some of the members of some of the religions are extremists and it's dangerous to be around such people. I have a problem with those who use religion as an excuse to murder those who don't agree with them and control followers that have been indoctrinated. I'm pretty sure most people feel that way so that wouldn't be considered anti-religion or specific to atheists. That's just common sense. Not sure where you observed that many atheists share resentment and distrust of religion or the religious because that isn't true in my case. I can't speak for anyone else. I do not think belief in gods or a god is good for the mind when it is so radically extreme.
with regards to bold above, where?
here on CD, in posts written by those who self-identify as atheists

Old 08-19-2022, 09:19 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
with regards to bold above, where?
here on CD, in posts written by those who self-identify as atheists
Not true for all posters who self identify as atheists here on CD.

Old 08-19-2022, 09:37 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Not true for all posters who self identify as atheists here on CD.
nor did i say it was.
i clearly responded to the specific statement which explicitly said "where you observed that many atheists share resentment and distrust of "

many.
not all.
many. just like it says.

where? the post asked.
and i responded "here on CD"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality