Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2022, 01:46 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,657,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It seems clear to me that religionists love to use the loosest possible definition of the concept of a fact, therefore, to answer Tzap's question, preferring to keep facts loosey-goosey makes it more possibly to justify religion.
Taking into consideration all definitions and meanings of words/terms is the best way...then sort it out from there.

Being open-minded (loose) is one thing...but nothing like calling a concept that is a Belief Position, a "lack of Belief".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2022, 07:51 PM

15,983 posts, read 7,044,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It seems clear to me that religionists love to use the loosest possible definition of the concept of a fact, therefore, to answer Tzap's question, preferring to keep facts loosey-goosey makes it more possibly to justify religion.
Maybe. Or it is that facts are by nature loosey - goosey. A little humility in the rightness of one’s beliefs, based on those loosey goosey facts, will go a long way towards spiritual awakening and some cheer and goodwill towards all.

Old 08-18-2022, 08:05 PM

9,352 posts, read 13,019,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Maybe. Or it is that facts are by nature loosey - goosey. A little humility in the rightness of one’s beliefs, based on those loosey goosey facts, will go a long way towards spiritual awakening and some cheer and goodwill towards all.
I don’t need spirituality to be cheerful and extend goodwill to others. On the other hand, all too many are miserable and hostile in the name of God.

Religion isn’t really about facts, and I state that objectively, not judgmentally. There’s a reason why it’s called faith: you’re putting stock in something you can only perceive metaphysically. And it’s totally fine that some people place value in that. I only bristle when others act condescendingly because I personally don’t jive with that. And those smug and ridiculous people deserve to have their smug and ridiculous ideas thrown right in their faces.

Old 08-18-2022, 08:35 PM

15,983 posts, read 7,044,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I don’t need spirituality to be cheerful and extend goodwill to others. On the other hand, all too many are miserable and hostile in the name of God.

Religion isn’t really about facts, and I state that objectively, not judgmentally. There’s a reason why it’s called faith: you’re putting stock in something you can only perceive metaphysically. And it’s totally fine that some people place value in that. I only bristle when others act condescendingly because I personally don’t jive with that. And those smug and ridiculous people deserve to have their smug and ridiculous ideas thrown right in their faces.
Ouch.
then why the invitation to Ask an Atheist…? in the Religion &Spirituality space if the intention is spiritual assault based on a subjective feeling of being condescended to? who but those interested and into those very things would be asking? if it is an invitation to those who might have an interest in Atheism then would this not get more attention without need to assault in the A&A space? of course anyone can post anywhere. Cheer and goodwill to all.

Old 08-18-2022, 08:36 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,799,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
"Non-belief" is a very narrow and limited category that applies ONLY to those who have NO awareness or knowledge whatsoever about the question. Once they are aware they either have a positive or a negative belief about it based on THEIR existing level of knowledge and awareness. Pretending that you have non-belief once you have the knowledge or awareness and identify as an atheist is just bogus.
Which question are you talking about? Non-belief in gods as opposed to belief in gods is what we are talking about all the time, is it not? It's a little absurd to say that when you know exactly what I mean. Tzaphkiel was being a smarty pants and baiting, she's always baiting. It was in response to her constant need to never address a post in a manner that is like a grown-up. Catch my drift?

What's bogus? That being an atheist is impossible after you've had your mind 'opened' and expanded like you have? You ever spoke in tongues? Now that is faith, man. That's pretty mind-bending and expansion of the mind. If you're delusional. I do not have faith. Just because I say non-belief doesn't mean it's a belief. It's non-belief. You know, not believing. You think your posts make sense but they do not.

Old 08-18-2022, 08:37 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,801,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post

My faith is not blind. It is based on observation and logic.

Old 08-18-2022, 08:50 PM

50,867 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Facts are not loosey goosey.

Old 08-18-2022, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Ouch.
then why the invitation to Ask an Atheist…? in the Religion &Spirituality space if the intention is spiritual assault based on a subjective feeling of being condescended to? who but those interested and into those very things would be asking? if it is an invitation to those who might have an interest in Atheism then would this not get more attention without need to assault in the A&A space? of course anyone can post anywhere. Cheer and goodwill to all.
I am the OP, it doesn't matter what else is being said in the thread about the thread and everyone's 'intentions'. Me, Northsouth......I am telling you that it was my intention to have real discussions and debates. Some of you are here just to argue and fight. Everyone except a few can see that.

So, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. You don't want to know about atheism and atheists but there are 10 more people who WANT to ask questions and read or post about it or tell their story about how they came to their faith or lack thereof.

That's the intention. If you get assaulted by an atheist at least you know they're not praying to a god to strike you dead.

You're going to get attacked here. And it most likely won't be by an atheist unless you're picking a fight.

Old 08-18-2022, 08:53 PM

50,867 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
I am the OP, it doesn't matter what else is being said in the thread about the thread and everyone's 'intentions'. Me, Northsouth......I am telling you that it was my intention to have real discussions and debates. Some of you are here just to argue and fight. Everyone except a few can see that.

So, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. You don't want to know about atheism and atheists but there are 10 more people who WANT to ask questions and read or post about it or tell their story about how they came to their faith or lack thereof.

That's the intention. If you get assaulted by an atheist at least you know they're not praying to a god to strike you dead.

You're going to get attacked here. And it most likely won't be by an atheist unless you're picking a fight.
I have to admit that I don't see it as "picking a fight". I see it as demanding acceptance of their belief. And they have no right to demand that.

Old 08-18-2022, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
My faith is not blind. It is based on observation and logic.
It is blind faith. Observation of what? There is nothing to observe because there is no evidence of a god or gods. And logic......come on. You think believing in something without evidence is logical?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality