Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2023, 08:18 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,658,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
You don't need the Bible to understand why marriage is a critical foundational element of society.

Marriage is more meaningful than other social arrangements because of the children produced by it -- children who have needs.

Do we believe that children have rights; namely the right to be cared for by his/her biological parents?

Since a same-sex union cannot produce children, it's a mockery of actual marriage to elevate it to that status.

The two things are not the same, and are most certainly not equal.
All of that is completely irrelevant to couples who do not have children, for whatever reason.

Children who are abused or neglected by their parents are certainly not better off being with their biological parents, and hopefully, they are removed from such an environment.

By your logic, any couple who cannot produce children is a mockery of marriage. That's simply ridiculous. I've known many couple who have no children. Some marry too late for that to happen. Others find that they are not able to have children. Some have so many miscarriages that pregnancies become life threatening. There are even couples who do not want any children.

To imply that these couples are "less married" than couples with children is seriously insulting to those couples, regardless of their respective genders.

Old 08-09-2023, 08:26 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,422,760 times
Quote:
No, that wasn't my intent.

Everybody may have a different opinion of truth and think that Jesus has the same exact views as they do; but the fact of the matter is that Jesus is a real person and He is Truth. You either assent to that or you don't.
You're not in the Christianity forum here. so no, we don't have to "assent" to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2023, 08:30 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,422,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Everyone has a choice to feel and think and opine what they want.
If you are gay and my neighbor, I will waive and smile at you. I will share my food with you.
If you are at my workplace, I will hold the door for you.
If you are my client. I will professionally conduct business with you just as I do it with any other of my client.
I will respect your gender identity.
I will support your social human rights and I will fight for your social human rights.

And perhaps that’s where I draw the line.

I am not going to wear a rainbow shirt and jump on the bandwagon for a month. That’s MY choice to do so.

And,
Personally, I wouldn’t consider it a true Christian CHURCH anymore if it allows and approves gay marriages.
Gays can go to such places all they want and get married to get the blessing of what? God?
Good for them.

Doesn’t change my opinion.
I believe homosexuality which is now a socially accepted practice, remains an act of sin in religious theology.

Plus, your house may need that sage smoke cleanse anyway.
That's a pretty rude thing to say to Mighty Queen. She posts some very insightful and empathetic things here. You could learn a lot from her and them.

Old 08-09-2023, 08:44 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
Quote:
You don't need the Bible to understand why marriage is a critical foundational element of society.

Marriage is more meaningful than other social arrangements because of the children produced by it -- children who have needs.

Do we believe that children have rights; namely the right to be cared for by his/her biological parents?

Since a same-sex union cannot produce children, it's a mockery of actual marriage to elevate it to that status.

The two things are not the same, and are most certainly not equal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
All of that is completely irrelevant to couples who do not have children, for whatever reason.

Children who are abused or neglected by their parents are certainly not better off being with their biological parents, and hopefully, they are removed from such an environment.

By your logic, any couple who cannot produce children is a mockery of marriage. That's simply ridiculous. I've known many couple who have no children. Some marry too late for that to happen. Others find that they are not able to have children. Some have so many miscarriages that pregnancies become life threatening. There are even couples who do not want any children.

To imply that these couples are "less married" than couples with children is seriously insulting to those couples, regardless of their respective genders.
These exceptional cases you described prove the rule.

Old 08-09-2023, 08:45 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Literally no one wants that. Point out one legal or political group with an actual policy initiative like that.
I think you're naive. Maybe intentionally, maybe not. But we've all seen Antifa and their ilk go after people they accuse of being bigots simply for disagreeing with a lifestyle. It's only a matter of time before churches get sued for not doing a gay wedding.

Old 08-09-2023, 08:46 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,790,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Because they too have a religious faith and want to be married in a place of that faith, and not all of the Christian faith reject them as abominations.

What a nasty and disgusting thing to say, or even THINK. While I'm sure you typed that with evil glee hoping for the reaction you got from me, it doesn't say much for the type of person you are. Are you really in a position to be judging someone for whom they love when you see other human beings in that way? Filthy and appalling.

Good Lord, if you stepped into my house, I'd light sage to keep the bad juju away.
I have some sage but in this case, I don't think it would help.

Back when I was a Christian, I had some really weird experiences while renovating a building and when it was done, I saged the hell out of it. Sage can only do so much, sometimes an exorcism is necessary.

Old 08-09-2023, 08:54 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,790,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I think you're naive. Maybe intentionally, maybe not. But we've all seen Antifa and their ilk go after people they accuse of being bigots simply for disagreeing with a lifestyle. It's only a matter of time before churches get sued for not doing a gay wedding.
BaptistFundie
Just be nice. And I'll be nice back. OK?

You need to change that to "I'll misbehave and be rude any time I want, but don't you do it." You're mean, from the get-go. There are a few people here who are the problem, but somehow they don't see that.

There's one thing that Mordant is not, and that is naive. He's way above any of us as far as intellect, LIVING IN REALITY as atheists tend to do, and his perspective is something to be respected, not made fun of.

And while you're at it, change you moniker. People might think you're a radical fanatic or something.

Old 08-09-2023, 09:04 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
These exceptional cases you described prove the rule.
A dumb maxim.

Old 08-09-2023, 09:05 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Let's substitute:

But we've all seen christians and their ilk go after people they accuse of being bigots simply for disagreeing with a lifestyle.

Old 08-09-2023, 09:57 AM

25,436 posts, read 9,795,443 times
Quote:
A union of two people of the same sex is not even remotely equal to a union of two people of the opposite sex. It's infinitely inferior.

Why legally declare something "equal" that is objectively inferior -- and not even just inferior, but actually worthless?
And that would be your opinion, to which you are entitled obviously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality