Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2023, 04:05 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
We are not all equal. That is a reality The Bible clearly states that men are the head of the house and women must submit to him and obey. That did not change. Yet w3 have women who think they do not need men and can go have babies without them. I feel sorry for them.
This post is an example of why I am proud to be an EX christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2023, 04:07 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The Bible and the Church are NOT Jesus!!! By making them the Truth you are replacing Jesus who abides with us as the Comforter to guide us to the Truth God has "written in our hearts" with agape love so we would need no one to teach us.

Says who? The spirit that catfished you? You reject what Jesus says about himself.

Old 08-08-2023, 04:07 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,359,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Or perhaps it wasn't god's law at all, but rather a law people wanted at the time.
I am sure it was a law that 99.9% of the people wanted at the time. Genesis says a man leaves his mother and father to be become one with his wife. Are we going to start changing the definition of wife now? Man is man. Woman is woman. Definitions cannot change

Old 08-08-2023, 04:14 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I am sure it was a law that 99.9% of the people wanted at the time. Genesis says a man leaves his mother and father to be become one with his wife. Are we going to start changing the definition of wife now? Man is man. Woman is woman. Definitions cannot change
I don't care what you're 99.9% sure of. I don't care what Genesis says. Do you understand that non-christians don't care about things like that?

Old 08-08-2023, 04:45 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Now it's about forcing others to endorse it.
Who is being forced to endorse anything, and how?

I mean, you might be critiqued as bigoted or hateful, and that might not be true ... but at the end of the day no one is demanding you divorce your wife and marry a man, and it's legally impossible to force a religious nonprofit to perform weddings they don't want to perform, and I am aware of no effort at all to change that.

What actually happens is, e.g., a church rents out their fellowship hall to the general public and doesn't understand that they then lose control of what that hall is used for ... including "gay weddings", and then they claim they are being "forced" to "condone" "sin". And yet they are free to discriminate all they want with regard to member-benefit activities. They don't have to accept gay members or solemnize gay marriages ... of course gay folks can find other officiants -- but that's not skin off your backs.

Old 08-08-2023, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Marriage is between a man and a woman, a husband and a wife. Same sex couples need a new word that describes their union, like "coupling".

I see no reason by churches should not perform "coupling" ceremonies between same sex couples. If they want to get "coupled" in church, who are they to judge the people requesting a "coupling".

Hate the sin, love the sinner. Not that I think same sex people are sinning, but most churches do.
Marriage has civil benefits that aren't conveyed by purely symbolic but legally meaningless ceremonies. Gay people want the same benefits everyone else has.

Apart from getting a church officiant, they mostly do, in theory if not in practice ... because their marriages are (for now) legal and they can find non-church officiants if necessary, and they have the same marriage license and tax advantages and legal protections and so on. I regard it mostly as sour grapes and/or prejudice that heterosexuals begrudge them this, and that some institutions haven't adapted to it structurally (not just some churches, either).

Old 08-08-2023, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Give it time.
Literally no one wants that. Point out one legal or political group with an actual policy initiative like that.

Old 08-08-2023, 04:53 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Marriage has civil benefits that aren't conveyed by purely symbolic but legally meaningless ceremonies. Gay people want the same benefits everyone else has.

Apart from getting a church officiant, they mostly do, in theory if not in practice ... because their marriages are (for now) legal and they can find non-church officiants if necessary, and they have the same marriage license and tax advantages and legal protections and so on. I regard it mostly as sour grapes and/or prejudice that heterosexuals begrudge them this, and that some institutions haven't adapted to it structurally (not just some churches, either).
We had two men get married in our church. One was in his sixties, his husband is about ten years younger. They first had a "blessing of the union", which is what the EC did before marriage for them was legal, then a civil service, then they had a real wedding at our church with a nice catered reception in the parish hall afterward. Because they are Christian, they have celebrated that anniversary as their real one ever since.

Old 08-08-2023, 05:00 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Different churches have different tenets. If your church doesn’t marry gay people, then find one that does. What’s so hard?

Old 08-08-2023, 05:01 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Who is being forced to endorse anything, and how?

I mean, you might be critiqued as bigoted or hateful, and that might not be true ... but at the end of the day no one is demanding you divorce your wife and marry a man, and it's legally impossible to force a religious nonprofit to perform weddings they don't want to perform, and I am aware of no effort at all to change that.

What actually happens is, e.g., a church rents out their fellowship hall to the general public and doesn't understand that they then lose control of what that hall is used for ... including "gay weddings", and then they claim they are being "forced" to "condone" "sin". And yet they are free to discriminate all they want with regard to member-benefit activities. They don't have to accept gay members or solemnize gay marriages ... of course gay folks can find other officiants -- but that's not skin off your backs.
No church (at least in the US) has ever been required to perform any particular marriage ceremony. In a substantial number of churches, the minister/pastor/priest will meet with the prospective couple so he/she can form an opinion as to the appropriateness of the wedding (both in his/her view and the view of the church) and the likelihood for the marriage to be a successful one.

Of course, any church that rents out the fellowship hall to any and all comers could run afoul of anti-discrimination laws should they refuse to rent the hall to someone in a protected class, but that's an entirely different issue from the church officiant conducting marriages in the sanctuary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality