Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2023, 08:27 AM

6,952 posts, read 6,877,619 times

Advertisements

I think we should discuss some of the more thorny religious issues even though they are somewhat controversial.

In one of the local groups in my area which discuss religious issues, they have been discussing this topic and whether God is inclusive of all or not.

Some people believe that they want their relationship to be recognised and approved by the Church but many in the Church feel that the term 'Marriage' has a specific meaning of 'Union between a man and a woman'. This means that other terms have to be found by the Church and the word 'Marriage' is not to be used in the ceremony. Or..else the relationship is 'blessed' and not officially recognised as 'Marriage', as is that of a man to a woman.

From the Church's point of view they find it politically difficult to come down on any side of the fence and so they are probably going to fudge it yet again. Either way, they will attract criticism from the congregation, particularly the older and more traditional people.

I understand that there are some Churches which have decided to allow this marriage of same-sex couples, but on an individual level, how does everyone feel about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2023, 08:29 AM

50,830 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I think we should discuss some of the more thorny religious issues even though they are somewhat controversial.

In one of the local groups in my area which discuss religious issues, they have been discussing this topic and whether God is inclusive of all or not.

Some people believe that they want their relationship to be recognised and approved by the Church but many in the Church feel that the term 'Marriage' has a specific meaning of 'Union between a man and a woman'. This means that other terms have to be found by the Church and the word 'Marriage' is not to be used in the ceremony. Or..else the relationship is 'blessed' and not officially recognised as 'Marriage', as is that of a man to a woman.

From the Church's point of view they find it politically difficult to come down on any side of the fence and so they are probably going to fudge it yet again. Either way, they will attract criticism from the congregation, particularly the older and more traditional people.

I understand that there are some Churches which have decided to allow this marriage of same-sex couples, but on an individual level, how does everyone feel about this?
Up to the individual church. Just as it is up to the individual gay person or couple who must decide whether to abandon a religion that does not believe in being inclusive and supportive.

Old 08-08-2023, 09:44 AM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times
"Marriage" either has a fixed definition or it doesn't.

Old 08-08-2023, 09:54 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
In some cases, that fixed definition is the committed union of two people.

Old 08-08-2023, 09:58 AM

Quote:
And that definition doesn't have to be YOUR definition.

Old 08-08-2023, 09:59 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post

I went to a "blessing of the union" of a same-sex couple back in 1998 or '99 in a church. Actual marriage was not legal then. I have since known other gay married Christians and been to a couple of other such church weddings, as well as the baptism of children of same-sex couples.

As I understood God to be when I went to church, I do not believe God rejects them. I think rejection of gay people is a human prejudice.

Old 08-08-2023, 10:05 AM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That is the secular definition and it invokes a series of secular privileges and benefits that are not trivial. Whether or not a church recognizes it as "Holy Matrimony" invoking God's approval is a separate issue that has to be addressed by each church and their beliefs about God, IMO.

Old 08-08-2023, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That is the secular definition and it invokes a series of secular privileges and benefits that are not trivial. whether or not a church recognizes it as "Holy Matrimony" invoking God's approval is a separate issue that has to be addressed by each church and their beliefs about God, IMO.
I have no problem with that, but it's exactly why I say to gay Catholics...leave the church. Find solice elsewhere. The catholic church can't even come to grips with the extent of homosexuality within the ranks of their own clergy and how to deal with that. They'll never figure out how to support "you".

Old 08-08-2023, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
"Fixed" since when though?

When I said "fixed", I meant as in "since the beginning of human history".

Old 08-08-2023, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And that definition doesn't have to be YOUR definition.
I'm talking about the overall premise behind the concept. It is either changing or unchanging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality