Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2024, 11:07 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,506,352 times

Advertisements

To make a long story short, a disgruntled ex-employee has filed a complaint that she was let go because of her Christian faith. No further explanation. I don't have a religious background, but I was surprised by the complaint since everyone in the place is some kind of Christian. I was told no, not Mrs. R, she's Catholic. I was confused by this answer and tried asking another employee who said no, they're different. I agree there are differences between the denominations, but there's no way I can accept that Catholics aren't Christians. What am I missing?

Old 01-05-2024, 01:07 AM

23,139 posts, read 10,434,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
To make a long story short, a disgruntled ex-employee has filed a complaint that she was let go because of her Christian faith. No further explanation. I don't have a religious background, but I was surprised by the complaint since everyone in the place is some kind of Christian. I was told no, not Mrs. R, she's Catholic. I was confused by this answer and tried asking another employee who said no, they're different. I agree there are differences between the denominations, but there's no way I can accept that Catholics aren't Christians. What am I missing?
Some people, they will give you the appropriate word, then a 100 people play victim as if they have somehow been injured, its ridiculous.

So stupid, people need to get lives, God forbid they are in your home association some people for some bad thing in their life that happened to them, well, they are just jerks because they havn't learned the magical mystery iife,

Hate makes people miserable

See some people are at home being miserable, hateful, greedy, sociopaths that only care about playing a victim card in order fulfill their every wish.

They hate themselves even though their reality is pure fantasy of a person's crazed mind that never sins or at least thinks themselves to be more righteous than anyone around them

So sorry that happened to you,

Those people have lived a sheltered like in the wrong style.

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 01-05-2024 at 01:32 AM..

Old 01-05-2024, 02:02 AM

17,780 posts, read 13,673,847 times
When I was growing up there was a number of more conservative/evangelical/pentecostal type denominations that kind of muttered "Catholics aren't Christians" under their breath. And some were more overt about it.

From what I understand... say before 1950 this stance was held to the point that in many places where Catholics were a minority... they were somewhat stigmatized.

In my experience there were all kinds of reasons I heard why Catholics "weren't Christians"...

They sprinkle. They worship Mary. They worship Saints. They worship the Pope. They have extra Bible books. They believe in Limbo and Purgatory. And various and assundry issues regarding their theology.

In my small Oklahoma town they Catholics had their own school and they had taken over what was a local oilman's mansion and grounds and had a convent. Growing up I was a bit leery of the nuns when I would see them about town. And there were stories among us kids that they would shoot you with rock salt if you tried to get on their grounds.

As us kids got into Jr. High, the Catholic kids joined us at the public schools and they seemed normal and they laughed at all of our scary stories about the nunnery. It was quite disappointing. One thing was though, when we got to high school it was a lot of the Catholic boys who taught the Baptist boys how to drink and party. So they ended up holding lofty status at our school.

Old 01-05-2024, 02:51 AM

23,139 posts, read 10,434,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
When I was growing up there was a number of more conservative/evangelical/pentecostal type denominations that kind of muttered "Catholics aren't Christians" under their breath. And some were more overt about it.

From what I understand... say before 1950 this stance was held to the point that in many places where Catholics were a minority... they were somewhat stigmatized.

In my experience there were all kinds of reasons I heard why Catholics "weren't Christians"...

They sprinkle. They worship Mary. They worship Saints. They worship the Pope. They have extra Bible books. They believe in Limbo and Purgatory. And various and assundry issues regarding their theology.

In my small Oklahoma town they Catholics had their own school and they had taken over what was a local oilman's mansion and grounds and had a convent. Growing up I was a bit leery of the nuns when I would see them about town. And there were stories among us kids that they would shoot you with rock salt if you tried to get on their grounds.

As us kids got into Jr. High, the Catholic kids joined us at the public schools and they seemed normal and they laughed at all of our scary stories about the nunnery. It was quite disappointing. One thing was though, when we got to high school it was a lot of the Catholic boys who taught the Baptist boys how to drink and party. So they ended up holding lofty status at our school.
It want said under the breath where I came from, C asthics were considered evil

Old 01-05-2024, 03:31 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,011,211 times
People who say Catholic are not Christian have a spiritual authority sin of antichrist spirits, as there are countless believers who walk with Christ in their church just like the other church who may have some poorly developed believers and some highly developed believer as if you have a few people then the church is legitimate for God presence

Old 01-05-2024, 06:04 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,378,692 times
Quote:
Yes, Catholics have been Christians for 2000yrs counting!

Old 01-05-2024, 07:28 AM

977 posts, read 536,563 times
Quote:
Oh, good lord! All the current sects of christianity came from the holy roman empire, which we nowdays call catholic. You are not confused your co-workers are. And they probably think that the muslim religion is different as well even though it has the exact same roots as all christian versions of the judaic religion. People don't learn history and are told stuff that is wrong, but it fits their picture of reality so they insist that is how things are. The disgruntled person filing the complaint is most likely misrepresenting the reason she was let go.

Old 01-05-2024, 09:53 AM

63,787 posts, read 40,053,123 times
This thread invites accusing Christians of not being Christian which is not allowed on this forum and it should be closed, IMO.

Old 01-05-2024, 10:27 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,789,236 times
Quote:
The truth.

Some see Christianity as a religion, separated from Catholicism. Others see Christianity as more of a philosophy...that is, the 'umbrella' that houses religious denominations, including Catholicism.

Those who believe in Christ are said to be Christian. Catholics believe in Christ...therefore, they're Christian.

Old 01-05-2024, 10:33 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,143,735 times
Quote:
I would say the person who said "no, she's not christian, she's Catholic" was mistaken. Catholicism is considered a Christian religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality