Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2024, 12:39 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You can't even get that far. I believe in Jesus Christ and worship Him, but apparently it's the "wrong Jesus." Nobody's been able to tell me, though, how many options I supposedly have to choose from. I thought there was only one.
Oh dear.

Since the 1st century, all these “Christians” have been saying that their church is the only true church. It’s like they all want to sign you up to attend their church.

When we lived in Texas it was really bad. It was like they weren’t doing their Christian duty if we didn’t attend their church. They can’t take “I’m good” for an answer. If you reject them then they start talking trash about you. I absolutely loathed the time we spent in that state.

It’s gotten so ridiculous that I decided to look into things. Oh boy. Long story short, I left Christianity. My parents being dead made it easier.

These Evangelicals are so ignorant of history. They don’t realize that if it weren’t for the Roman Empire and the council of Nicaea they wouldn’t have a holy book. Do they believe that Paul handed them the King James Bible in Greek? IDK

I kindly suggest you do what your conscience tells you to do. The creator isn’t a feeble god with narcissistic features. God doesn’t need anything from humans. He gave us commandments for our benefit so that we wouldn’t live like animals and would have a good life. It’s the best you can do. You don’t need any intermediaries for that. Remember that Jesus was a Torah observant Jew NOT a Christian.

All these cults, religions, churches behave like hustlers.

Old 01-14-2024, 10:33 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You can't even get that far. I believe in Jesus Christ and worship Him, but apparently it's the "wrong Jesus." Nobody's been able to tell me, though, how many options I supposedly have to choose from. I thought there was only one.
Your Jesus is the child of God and his wife. Mine isn't. This is not meant as a personal insult, but can we at least recognize that there are some pretty major theological differences? I'm not suggesting that you're a horrible rotten gunky-head, but geez....we do believe different things.

Old 01-14-2024, 12:28 PM

19,963 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Your Jesus is the child of God and his wife. Mine isn't. This is not meant as a personal insult, but can we at least recognize that there are some pretty major theological differences? I'm not suggesting that you're a horrible rotten gunky-head, but geez....we do believe different things.
According to the LDS web site:
Quote:
What do Mormons believe about Jesus Christ's mortal life? Mormons believe that Jesus was born as an infant in Bethlehem. As the child of God the Father and a mortal mother, Mary, He grew up learning His divine mission and His Father's gospel line upon line, precept upon precept (see D&C 98:12).
Are you objecting to the notion that the conception wasn't an "immaculate" one? That Mary was not just a surrogate mother? Because most any Christian reading the above quote might well miss that subtle turn of phrase and its significance. That doctrinal difference would not change one's views of the divinity of Jesus, or that he was fully god and fully man ... indeed it would be easier to harmonize with the so-called hypostatic union; also it gets away from the notion that there's something inherently sinful about the process of making babies, to the extent that for Jesus to be conceived without sin requires magically circumventing the human's contribution.

So I'd regard it as a pretty minor difference, and a difference with some real advantages.

Old 01-14-2024, 12:54 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
This shows that you know virtually nothing about Mormonism.

Old 01-14-2024, 02:55 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
According to the LDS web site:

Are you objecting to the notion that the conception wasn't an "immaculate" one? That Mary was not just a surrogate mother? Because most any Christian reading the above quote might well miss that subtle turn of phrase and its significance. That doctrinal difference would not change one's views of the divinity of Jesus, or that he was fully god and fully man ... indeed it would be easier to harmonize with the so-called hypostatic union; also it gets away from the notion that there's something inherently sinful about the process of making babies, to the extent that for Jesus to be conceived without sin requires magically circumventing the human's contribution.

So I'd regard it as a pretty minor difference, and a difference with some real advantages.
If Jesus wasn't human, none of the narrative makes any sense whatsoever and would have no relevance or import for us at all, IMO. It is His BIRTH and accomplishments AS A HUMAN that matter to us, not all the magical supernatural nonsense that seems to dominate God-belief.

Old 01-14-2024, 03:14 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,029,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
To make a long story short, a disgruntled ex-employee has filed a complaint that she was let go because of her Christian faith. No further explanation. I don't have a religious background, but I was surprised by the complaint since everyone in the place is some kind of Christian. I was told no, not Mrs. R, she's Catholic. I was confused by this answer and tried asking another employee who said no, they're different. I agree there are differences between the denominations, but there's no way I can accept that Catholics aren't Christians. What am I missing?

That's something some fundies like to say. In their heart of hearts, no one is a Christian unless someone belongs to their Church of What's Happening Now, and even then there is some question about several of the people who just didn't show up to the potluck supper last Wednesday.

Old 01-14-2024, 04:40 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
That's something some fundies like to say. In their heart of hearts, no one is a Christian unless someone belongs to their Church of What's Happening Now, and even then there is some question about several of the people who just didn't show up to the potluck supper last Wednesday.
I wholeheartedly agree!

Old 01-14-2024, 07:25 PM

16,665 posts, read 15,658,096 times
Thread closed while we decide what to do about posts claiming there is more than one Jesus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality