Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 09:21 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times

Advertisements

It's getting close to that time of year again - shudder. Every year it is the same thing, people asking me what my Xmas plans are. I DO NOT DO Xmas. I do not do Xmas dinner, I do not do Xmas presents, I do no do Xmas Trees. It's all just a really annoying time of year because you cannot get anything done because everybody is having their Xmas parties and taking time off and the MUSIC IN STORES is enough to make you gag.

Anyway, ranting aside. Those of you who do not celebrate the holy day, give me some snappy comebacks to lay on people when they inevitably have to ask me questions about my holiday plans. "We don't do Xmas" just doesn't have the impact I am looking for....

Ideas?

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 09:50 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,065 times
"You'll have to pardon me for not partaking in a pagan holiday which was conscripted for xtian use. The venal and crass commercialization of it leaves a sour taste in my mouth."

Old 09-17-2008, 10:22 AM

810 posts, read 1,437,525 times
Your question was for non-Christians, but as a Christian I too choose not to observe this holiday due to it's pagan origins. It's not Jesus' birthday...Santa has nothing to do with Jesus...Jesus is no longer a baby...blah blah blah. It's more of a commercial holiday than anything.

Anyway, I field the same questions as you and face the same "spirit of the season". I just smile and say very plainly what I will be doing- probably doing some laundry, watch a movie. If they really press and I start to explain they usually lose interest real fast! I don't wish them a merry christmas back...I don't condone the holiday. I usually say "thank you" because I recognize their sentiment, but I'll tell them to enjoy their time off...time with their family...have a great weekend. What I would normally say if it was just a regular day.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:56 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
I'm Tsalagi, I don't celebrate that pagan holiday... that's what I say, when asked.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:20 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
I really wish I could get out of the whole gift giving thing, other than for my kids. I find it ridiculous that I have to waste time and thought trying to find something to send my parents for Christimas. My birthday is in December and I end up using the check they send me (another waste IMO) to buy them something and send it back.

However, I love the rest of the holiday. We put up a big tree, decorate the house, put lights on the house, make cookies for neighbors, hang stockings, have Christmas dinner, etc. I think all the lights are wonderful considering it's the darkest time of the year.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:09 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,904 times
This OT, but...

Denverian,

I hate that too. Two years ago, I sent my holiday cards out early and explained in the cards that I would be donating monies to charity for the holidays and to not expect a gift from me; in return I asked them to please not send a gift to me, but instead donate to a charity. It worked well. Only my roommate broke the rule and bought me a gift (of course, I broke my rule and had bought her one too anyway LOL).

Old 09-17-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I really wish I could get out of the whole gift giving thing, other than for my kids. I find it ridiculous that I have to waste time and thought trying to find something to send my parents for Christimas. My birthday is in December and I end up using the check they send me (another waste IMO) to buy them something and send it back.

However, I love the rest of the holiday. We put up a big tree, decorate the house, put lights on the house, make cookies for neighbors, hang stockings, have Christmas dinner, etc. I think all the lights are wonderful considering it's the darkest time of the year.
You can. When you send out holiday greetings just make a note on them that you are not buying gifts anymore, but instead you are going to donate to a charity the amount of money you would spend on gifts.

Really, who can b*tch about something like that? If they do, they'll just come off as being an arse.

**Edit: Ooh, looks like Angel beat me to it.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:20 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times
Hmmm...I don't decorate the house or such for Christmas but the rest of my family does. None of them are church-goers except for my sister, but they all have little ones and the kids love the lights and tree and cookies and fun...to the rest of us Christmas is a family holiday, sharing love for each other, giving gifts because we love each other and it's fun. I guess I am just not as angry about the whole Christianity thing as many folks are, I don't care. My beliefs are my own and I don't feel threatened or intimidated by a Christian holiday...which was originally a pagan holiday, but don't tell a Christian that! Christmas is a beautiful time of year where I live, Prescott is Arizona's "Christmas City", with lots of family-oriented things to do, none of which involves churches or worship.

So...how do I, a non-Christian, celebrate Christmas? With friends and family, with gifts of love, with home cooked dinners and lots of laughter. Oh, and by the way, my grandkids always hunt for Easter Eggs, too, and get baskets filled with goodies...but it has nothing to do with a man dying on a cross or rising from the dead. It's a celebration of Spring.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:24 PM

It's a paid day off from work, that's what it is.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:26 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
You can. When you send out holiday greetings just make a note on them that you are not buying gifts anymore, but instead you are going to donate to a charity the amount of money you would spend on gifts.

Really, who can b*tch about something like that? If they do, they'll just come off as being an arse.

**Edit: Ooh, looks like Angel beat me to it.
Or start sending really crappy, tacky, cheap gifts that everyone will dread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality