Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2007, 09:25 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Hey spunky, are you sure you meant to say "A Christian does not keep on sinning" maybe you should clarify that a little, from what you have said in the past, I'm sure you know that we all still sin. I just don't want people think just because you become a Christan you stop sinning completely
Your right, of course we all sin, I meant we can't make a decision to continue a sin, an intellectual decision to go against God's law. If we are aware of a sin we try and change it with Gods help.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:06 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,189,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Oh, but those aren't supposed to be taken literally, since THEY might actually have to comply!! I love how some people pick & choose which parts of the Bible to follow... can we say hypocrisy? I've used that same argument in past discussions, but have yet to hear a real answer.
Oh, but remember Christians live the New Testament not, the Old Testament. People always try to put the O.T. with the N.T and there are big differences and it would be nice for those quoting the Old or New to probably let those that don't know the difference which, one they are quoting!!! As you can see in my other post I answered madicarus question and should answer yours also!!

Old 03-05-2007, 11:27 AM

325 posts, read 1,408,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
Oh, but remember Christians live the New Testament not, the Old Testament. People always try to put the O.T. with the N.T and there are big differences and it would be nice for those quoting the Old or New to probably let those that don't know the difference which, one they are quoting!!! As you can see in my other post I answered madicarus question and should answer yours also!!
Yes. No more proof do you need than in John 5:

3The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4and said to Jesus, "Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?" 6They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.

But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." 8Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.

9At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10Jesus straightened up and asked her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?"

11"No one, sir," she said.
"Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin."

Our Sunday School lesson this week was actually on this passage of scripture oddly enough. Coincidence, I think not.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:55 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,907 times
actually we follow the entire Bible, Old and New Testament--Jesus came to fulfill the law not destroy it and not one part of it will pass away until his return--so we follow it all

Old 03-05-2007, 02:12 PM

325 posts, read 1,408,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
actually we follow the entire Bible, Old and New Testament--Jesus came to fulfill the law not destroy it and not one part of it will pass away until his return--so we follow it all
You are correct, but also with Jesus came forgiveness and grace. If Jesus had followed the law of Moses entirely, He would have told the Pharisees to put the adulterous woman to death, in John 5. Instead he forgave her, and told her to turn from her sins, just as he tells us to this day.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:13 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,189,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
It's not that we don't read and understand the law of the O.T. and there are Scriptures that we use today as ways to live by. It's important to know both. But, I think living by the N.T. is much easier and we know that our Messiah has come and will come again as the N.T. explains!!

Old 03-05-2007, 05:19 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,907 times
waiting daily on the Rapture honey, so you dont have to convince me, but Jesus the Messiah still calls us to see the entire word of the Father. We dont just go to church and hear the NT, we hear the entire word. No Revelation without the Prophet-Jeremiah, Zecharia, Isaiah, Daniel pointing the way to the end and to the Messiah

Old 03-06-2007, 01:50 AM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Correct, A Christian does not keep on sinning. It IS just like someone that commits adultry. They can be forgiven but they can't decide to continue on with the practice. First, you have to admit your sin and then with Gods help change your ways. If you continue to go against God's law then how can you claim to be a Christian?
The same way that people call themselves Christian, and yet continue to drink excessively, have sex outside of marriage and/or be unfaithful, lie, disrespect their parents, and so on. Why do homosexuals only get this kind of treatment? To me, that just seems very unfair and hypocritical... which is the main issue I have with what you're all saying. Everyone has the right to call themselves Christian, or whatever religion, and it's not your job to decide whether they're worthy... if you really believe in God, let "him" decide who to judge!

Old 03-06-2007, 08:21 AM

431 posts, read 393,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
The same way that people call themselves Christian, and yet continue to drink excessively, have sex outside of marriage and/or be unfaithful, lie, disrespect their parents, and so on. Why do homosexuals only get this kind of treatment? To me, that just seems very unfair and hypocritical... which is the main issue I have with what you're all saying. Everyone has the right to call themselves Christian, or whatever religion, and it's not your job to decide whether they're worthy... if you really believe in God, let "him" decide who to judge!

Do "Reform Jews" drink too much? Have sex outside of marriage? Lie? Disrespect their parents? Any sin at all? Or because "Reform Jews" pick and choose what to believe and follow, are they not subject to account for anything they do / don't do, etc.???

My guess is that EVERY "religion" has those who don't set a good example. Christians don't have the market on "sin".

Old 03-06-2007, 10:46 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannie View Post
Do "Reform Jews" drink too much? Have sex outside of marriage? Lie? Disrespect their parents? Any sin at all? Or because "Reform Jews" pick and choose what to believe and follow, are they not subject to account for anything they do / don't do, etc.???

My guess is that EVERY "religion" has those who don't set a good example. Christians don't have the market on "sin".
Uh, yes we do "sin", and that was exactly my point... in fact, I almost put in the sentence (but deleted for some reason) "I don't follow every rule of the Torah, but still call myself a Jew!" But the difference is that I don't tell others they're wrong, or don't deserve to call themselves Jewish. My congregation welcomes anyone to worship, and never points fingers at homosexuals, or anyone else who might go against the Bible. So while we might choose what to believe, we do NOT discriminate against those who follow other beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality