Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2008, 10:46 AM

1,240 posts, read 3,974,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
I have to disagree... agnosticism requires no faith.
Agnosticism allows for faith while atheism doesn't.

Quote:
Atheism demands that you believe that there is no possibility of a god or higher power.
Not at all. What you are thinking of is what's come to be known as militant atheism which does well beyond what atheism actually means. Atheism is the lack of positive theistic beliefs. That's it.

Quote:
That requires faith, by my definition of faith.
Militant atheism certainly requires faith in something for which there is no evidence. I'm certainly not a militant atheist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 10:51 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,726,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post

Not at all. What you are thinking of is what's come to be known as militant atheism which does well beyond what atheism actually means. Atheism is the lack of positive theistic beliefs. That's it.

Militant atheism certainly requires faith in something for which there is no evidence. I'm certainly not a militant atheist.
Then what is the difference between agnostic, who says that there's no way to tell either way, and an atheist that simply doesn't believe there is a higher power?

Old 02-18-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Then what is the difference between agnostic, who says that there's no way to tell either way, and an atheist that simply doesn't believe there is a higher power?
The agnostic may still believe. The atheist doesn't believe. The terms can overlap.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:11 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,281,682 times
Quote:
The agnostic may still believe. The atheist doesn't believe. The terms can overlap.
This is incorrect. If you believe in a god or spiritual power or whatever, you are not an agnostic, you are a theist of some sort. Agnosticism is uncertainty. If you believe in a god, then you have certainty and you have theism.

I also disagree with the statement that atheists have faith. They come to the conclusion with certainty that there is no god based on the complete lack of evidence for one. That is not faith, that is a logical conclusion. Faith is a belief in something without any evidence for it existing. Once you introduce hard evidence, then it is evidence-based and not faith.

All the theists who claim they have evidence all around do not in fact have any evidence at all since everything they claim to be evidence has a rational, non-supernatural explanation for it. Just because they choose to interpret something thru a filter of faith that there is a supernatural explanation does not change this fact.

Agnostics look at the lack of any evidence for a god and do not believe in a deity but still allow that there could be things we do not yet know and that a god could possibly exist outside the realm of known facts. That is a far cry from belief in a god.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:27 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,726,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I also disagree with the statement that atheists have faith. They come to the conclusion with certainty that there is no god based on the complete lack of evidence for one. That is not faith, that is a logical conclusion. Faith is a belief in something without any evidence for it existing. Once you introduce hard evidence, then it is evidence-based and not faith.
I disagree with this statement. There is not enough scientific evidence to base any claim, be there a god or no god. It's not a logical conclusion to think that it's in no way possible that our universe was created... no matter how small that possibility may be. To me that is faith to put yourself on either side.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
This is incorrect. If you believe in a god or spiritual power or whatever, you are not an agnostic, you are a theist of some sort. Agnosticism is uncertainty.
An agnostic questions his knowledge and recognizes that he doesn't have evidence but doesn't necessarily disbelieve. An agnostic may consider that whether there is a God is unknowable but may still believe for whatever reason.

Quote:
If you believe in a god, then you have certainty and you have theism.
Not necessarily. You can believe in something while acknowledging that ultimately you don't really know whether what you believe in truly exists.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I disagree with this statement. There is not enough scientific evidence to base any claim, be there a god or no god. It's not a logical conclusion to think that it's in no way possible that our universe was created... no matter how small that possibility may be. To me that is faith to put yourself on either side.
If you begin to consider "however small that possibility may be" as a litmus test for the presence of faith then you must consider that you have faith regarding invisible unicorns, flying spaghetti monsters, etc. We certainly don't have proof that they exist but somewhere somehow they may exist.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:21 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,318,501 times
Quote:

IMO Militant atheism is a practice of actively campaigning for atheism and forcing down other religions and any religious practices. That's opposed to the passive atheist who neither toots his own horn or puts down other religions unless in a debate.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
IMO Militant atheism is a practice of actively campaigning for atheism and forcing down other religions and any religious practices. That's opposed to the passive atheist who neither toots his own horn or puts down other religions unless in a debate.
Does this mean that everyone who is not passive about their Christianity and whether others should consider it is a militant Christian?

Old 02-18-2008, 02:47 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,496,269 times
If you feel the need to shove your religion (whatever religion that might be) in others face, then your a militant person. If you go to peoples homes uninvited to shove it in their face, your militant. If you comandeer conversations and push your religious talk into the conversation, then your militant.

All it does to people like me, is makes me STAY AWAY.

You guys would be alot MORE of an influence if you just lived what you supposedly believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality