Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2009, 12:55 AM

33,573 posts, read 37,198,452 times

Advertisements

Sorry...Ya struck out again...No science on that site...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 02:13 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,980,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Sorry...Ya struck out again...No science on that site...
Well try Answer.com, you can't claim bias Christian sites all the time.

For over a century, archeologists stated there was no evidence of an organized state society in Edon. (BIBLICAL MINIMALISTS) touted this fact as one piece of evidence of the Bible's ultimate unreliability as a historical source. However recent excavations in Jordan have shed new lignt on the history of Edom. And this new data confirms the Biblical account.

Consider the link below. Scroll down and look under Archaeology.
Edom: Definition from Answers.com

Old 01-20-2009, 03:42 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,933,218 times
Smile "Honestly! I'm telling the Truth!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
For whatever reason, it is often not the qualified folks that champion the great discoveries of this world. Often it is the little guy who has no experience in such things. The greatest Biblical text, the Dead Sea Scrolls was unearthed by a shepherd boy. *And it appears the God of the Bible often uses the non-important, and least qualified people to do His bidding.*

(Careful with this last *admission*, C34. It could REALLY come back and bite you! I hope you're laughing now at this statement and how perhaps it might not have been so wise to say it! It's OK though: I could really go to town on it, but I'll take it as a "sense of humor" kind of thing! Your God will appreciate it I'm sure....)

So it should come as no surprise, that the one person who actually reaches Noah's Ark, may very well be someone who is not highly thought of, nor is he considered by the elite of this world. And it may be, that this person will have absolutely no training in the scientific method. Yet, if I know God, this is just the kind of person who will finally reach the Ark of Noah. God really does have a sense of humor.

1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness before God.
Philosophically speaking, C34, this is a complete reversal for you! I've seen some of your posts where you point to some researcher, some eye-witness person, a "converted" scientist, or an American pilot of great repute, who provides evidence that you feel substantiates your Christian point of view.

But then, here now, you, in a complete turn-around, state that it is or will be "the little people" who can, have or will make great discoveries.

That's quite OK by me, as long as they don't over-reach in their conclusions. It may be OK to say "This brown thing I stumbled across at the 15,000 foot level in a violent snowstorm is very intriquing and interesting and worthy of further study", but for them to say "I found this brown thing and, because I'm a devout Christian, I really want and need for it to be undisputed proof of (fill in the blank here: biblical novelty of your choice!), and since I know it IS the absolute, true and real (again, fill in the blank...), my finding is also, handily, absolute proof of God's greatness and his love for us and that He designed everything and [Oh praise the Lord, I'm getting all squirmy in the shorts over this finding! I'm blessed! Oh wow!)".

Etc.

And then they also go a bit mad about anyone questioning their new idol / icon / "proofy thingy".

It's not "elitist" to be educated in something one is passionately curious about, and interested enough to read, to talk to other known world experts, or to try to continue to further one's deeper understanding.

Christians conduct intense bible study groups. That's great, but there's also not so much actual questioning of the written word going on, is there? It's more of a self-congratualtory mutual agreement head-bowing society.

Alternately, scientists might add another ever-more-complex graduate degree to their resume, or seek tenure at an outstanding accredited University, or organize a high-end convention on their very specific topic, and/or use their growing knowledge and experience to further the totality of that knowledge in the areas they are interested in. Or they might organize a highly reliable and unassailable multidisciplinary expedition to The Ark site to fully examine the evidence, and then to come to a very believable conclusion, complete with detailed evidence. Oddly, they will include evangelical scholars as well, which is something the evangelicals don't do when they organize a religious fact-finding mission. How odd, eh?)

Scientists also happily and generally want to share and communicate that new knowledge to the world completely absent an "agenda" as is so often critically directed at them by combative debators.

To dismissively put down that passion and knowledge as elitist, arrogant, unreliable, ego-driven or dis-honest is to show one's very real biases, wouldn't you say, C34? I mean, let's be honest here!

Last edited by rifleman; 01-20-2009 at 03:52 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 01-20-2009, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Philosophically speaking, C34, this is a complete reversal for you! I've seen some of your posts where you point to some researcher, some eye-witness person, a "converted" scientist, or an American pilot of great repute, who provides evidence that you feel substantiates your Christian point of view.

But then, here now, you, in a complete turn-around, state that it is or will be "the little people" who can, have or will make great discoveries.

That's quite OK by me, as long as they don't over-reach in their conclusions. It may be OK to say "This brown thing I stumbled across at the 15,000 foot level in a violent snowstorm is very intriquing and interesting and worthy of further study", but for them to say "I found this brown thing and, because I'm a devout Christian, I really want and need for it to be undisputed proof of (fill in the blank here: biblical novelty of your choice!), and since I know it IS the absolute, true and real (again, fill in the blank...), my finding is also, handily, absolute proof of God's greatness and his love for us and that He designed everything and [Oh praise the Lord, I'm getting all squirmy in the shorts over this finding! I'm blessed! Oh wow!)".

Etc.

And then they also go a bit mad about anyone questioning their new idol / icon / "proofy thingy".

It's not "elitist" to be educated in something one is passionately curious about, and interested enough to read, to talk to other known world experts, or to try to continue to further one's deeper understanding.

Christians conduct intense bible study groups. That's great, but there's also not so much actual questioning of the written word going on, is there? It's more of a self-congratualtory mutual agreement head-bowing society.

Alternately, scientists might add another ever-more-complex graduate degree to their resume, or seek tenure at an outstanding accredited University, or organize a high-end convention on their very specific topic, and/or use their growing knowledge and experience to further the totality of that knowledge in the areas they are interested in. Or they might organize a highly reliable and unassailable multidisciplinary expedition to The Ark site to fully examine the evidence, and then to come to a very believable conclusion, complete with detailed evidence. Oddly, they will include evangelical scholars as well, which is something the evangelicals don't do when they organize a religious fact-finding mission. How odd, eh?)

Scientists also happily and generally want to share and communicate that new knowledge to the world completely absent an "agenda" as is so often critically directed at them by combative debators.

To dismissively put down that passion and knowledge as elitist, arrogant, unreliable, ego-driven or dis-honest is to show one's very real biases, wouldn't you say, C34? I mean, let's be honest here!
At no time did I say those in the know were dis-honest. I said often it is not the elite of this world that will lead the way to discovery. God often uses the least of us, sometimes to reveal his greater truths. That's what I said.

Just like at the resurrection, God did not use one of the great religious leaders of the day to reveal to the world that Christ had risen from the grave. He used a woman who no one believed.

And just like the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls. He used a shepherd boy to lead the way to discovery.

And when it comes to Noah's Ark, God may once again use someone who is not highly thought of, and not thought of as important, or knowledgable.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:34 AM

970 posts, read 1,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34
And just like the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls. He used a shepherd boy to lead the way to discovery.
Possibly. But they were only taken seriously by the rest of the world after they were analysed by true archaeologists and scientists. You could learn from that example...

Old 01-20-2009, 10:53 AM

33,573 posts, read 37,198,452 times
Quote:
Well try Answer.com, you can't claim bias Christian sites all the time.

For over a century, archeologists stated there was no evidence of an organized state society in Edon. (BIBLICAL MINIMALISTS) touted this fact as one piece of evidence of the Bible's ultimate unreliability as a historical source. However recent excavations in Jordan have shed new lignt on the history of Edom. And this new data confirms the Biblical account.

Consider the link below. Scroll down and look under Archaeology.
Edom: Definition from Answers.com
Did I dispute the existence of Edom?...No, I dispute events mentioned in the bible, such as the great flood or the Red sea crossing, and I see no archeological evidence of either.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:52 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,759,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxolan View Post
Eventually, with enough guesses, some "prophets" are bound to get it right.
Yeah, well...that's the same old 1000 monkeys with 1000 typewriters writing Shakespeare anecdote.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:05 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,933,218 times
Cool Whooo-whoo! The train's pulled in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Yeah, well...that's the same old 1000 monkeys with 1000 typewriters writing Shakespeare anecdote.
Eeeuuuuu! What a mess that would be. You require at a minimum an infinite number of monkeys and an infinite number of old Remington Rands (in full working order, with new or refurbished ribbons...), along with an infinite supply of correction tape (oopppps, nope, don't need that, sorry. That's the point of the whole exercise, right?), but also an infinite supply of Purina Primate Chow:

http://www.fbodaily.com/archive/2002...O-00032161.htm

...water mugs, and nice warm clean pet beds for the evenings. Mood music through an infinitely large speaker and audio system (an infinitely long Enya CD...yawn), an infinitely huge, nice, warm and fully furnished dry office building, and an infinitely large dumpster for disposing of the inevitable failed efforts, or the "drafts" where everything is just right except for that misplaced "period" at the end of Paragraph 27, line 2, draft # 1.6 X 10 -inf power?

Oh, and an infinite supply of psycho-monkey-shrinks to deal with the near-infinite (Infinity minus one actually... One gets it right, but when?) number of suicidally depressed chimp- or monkey-minded authors...

You can see why no-one has done this otherwise elegantly simple scientific "proof", eh? Too many (an infinity, actually...) of demands!

(Sorry to have derailed the train of logical thought here....)

Last edited by rifleman; 01-20-2009 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: errors in links!

Old 01-20-2009, 08:33 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,129,349 times
Quote:
Another recent discovery proves the Bible is correct again, leaving egg on the faces of those who imbraced academic belief. Bibles timeline correct for the Kingdom of Edom. Link below.

Archeologist Unearths Biblical Controversy

Campbell, why do you only listen to website claims by people who have a preconceived point to prove? Why do you only take the word of "investigators" who already have a belief that the Bible is literally true? Why do you only listen to those who simply reinforce your belief?

It's because you believe first, and (don't) ask questions later.

That's not archeologically, anthropologically, historically or geologically scientific in any way shape or form.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxolan View Post
Possibly. But they were only taken seriously by the rest of the world after they were analysed by true archaeologists and scientists. You could learn from that example...
If someone can show me a ship that is over 400 feet long with triple decks and cages inside of it, and it's on the top of Mt. Ararat, I will not need a true archaeologist, or scientists to tell me what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality