Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2008, 04:30 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
I googled the Piso family, I'm still laughing. No historian would give that nonsense the time of day. But thanks again for the laugh.
Ummm.. yes, the Piso family has been studied by many historians. Apparently you didn't read anything you googled.

And you claim you know for a fact the New Testament is written by first hand accounts... Now that's laughable. We're you there?

The bible was written by man for man in an attempt to control the masses. Hell is a nice little invented place to scare people into believing. But as you will, continue to be willfully ignorant of anything outside your little fairytale.

Check out "Banished from the Bible" on the History Channel. I dare you.

Last edited by PixiStix; 11-18-2008 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-18-2008, 06:01 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,016,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
The whole new testament is eye witness accounts documenting what they saw and heard as they walked with and observed Jesus. You will not accept this documentation because it does not line up with your world view and philosophy. If you were to accept it as true, it would mean that you would have to change everything you believe in. Much easier to just deny the possibility that it could be true, than deal with it.
Eye witness accounts are unverifiable thereby unreliable not to mention the fact that the gospels were written forty years after the supposed crucifixion of Jesus. Also, do you deny the possibility of Allah, or alien abductions, there are plenty of 'eye witness' accounts for those to, but Christians quickly dismiss them because it doesn't line up with their worldview.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:39 PM

9,732 posts, read 4,063,385 times
[quote=acegirl;6215133]
Quote:
Ummm.. yes, the Piso family has been studied by many historians. Apparently you didn't read anything you googled.
Yes, the Piso family has been studied and then dismissed by most reputable historians. Please don't make assumptions about what I have and have not read.

Quote:
And you claim you know for a fact the New Testament is written by first hand accounts... Now that's laughable. We're you there?
Please point out where I said I know for a fact. So were you there when the Piso family supposedly wrote the new testament?

Quote:
The bible was written by man for man in an attempt to control the masses. Hell is a nice little invented place to scare people into believing. But as you will, continue to be willfully ignorant of anything outside your little fairytale.
It looks to me like you've created your own fairytale. At best it's just your opinion.

Quote:
Check out "Banished from the Bible" on the History Channel. I dare you.
You don't have to dare me, I've already seen it. It's a piece of fiction like the Da Vinci Code.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:40 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,624,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
One possibility that Pascal's Wager overlooks is that there is an afterlife, but the favored position in the afterlife is given to nonbelievers. So, if you're a believer, you could die and have it turn out that you've "lost everything" by believing during your life.
You're not the first to say this and until now I haven't bothered to respond to it because it's so ridiculous and not really worthy of a response. But since it seems to be a common mindset of the atheist, here goes.

You can't be serious? What do we have in this world? I mean, what does it all revolve around and boil down to? Good and evil, right? No shades of gray in that area....either you're good or you're evil. Some who are evil may THINK they are good, but we're talking in actualities here, not mental deficiencies and delusions.

God represents all that is good, whether you believe in Him or not. Satan represents all that is evil, whether you believe in him or not. And somehow this is going to be the opposite in the afterlife? Come on, give us a break.

Like I said, so stupendously ridiculous it's insulting to the intelligence of EVERYONE.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:54 PM

9,732 posts, read 4,063,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Eye witness accounts are unverifiable thereby unreliable not to mention the fact that the gospels were written forty years after the supposed crucifixion of Jesus. Also, do you deny the possibility of Allah, or alien abductions, there are plenty of 'eye witness' accounts for those to, but Christians quickly dismiss them because it doesn't line up with their worldview.

Since all eye witness accounts are unverifiable then all written history must be unverifiable also. You must stay true to your logic. I do not deny the possibility of Allah the ancient moon god of the Arabs. I do not dismiss alien abductions, there are to many witnesses. However, I am not sure if they are real or hallucinations.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Also, do you deny the possibility of Allah, or alien abductions, there are plenty of 'eye witness' accounts for those to, but Christians quickly dismiss them because it doesn't line up with their worldview.
Christians can't dismiss something that doesn't exist, and it's not our "worldview". Christians do not belong to this world, and I'm going to really tick you off by quoting from the Bible one of my favorite scriptures to show WHY we dismiss false teachings and beliefs....we are not part of worldly things, and Allah and aliens are not part of God or the Bible. They are manmade fiction.

John 15:18-21 (Jesus speaking about the world hating his disciples, then and now)
"If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. Remember the words I spoke to you: No servant is greater than his master. If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the ONE who sent me."

Old 11-18-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Actually just the opposite is true. It is much more difficult, but a lot more rewarding to live life "freestyle" then to simply follow the rules in some old book....We actually have to think, and make decisions for ourselves every day. All you do is look in your book of rules. No thinking required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJLethal View Post
Excellent reply.
OH yes, that's absolutely brilliant. Let me go get my Bible and see what I need to say next. It's actually a script for city-data.

Christians have the Word of God written on their hearts, no need to reference. That's where Jesus lives you know, in our hearts. That's why you've got a big hole in yours. Oh and btw, we are still actually HUMAN and have real life problems, just like you. And yes, the answer is in the Word of God.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:12 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,016,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
Christians can't dismiss something that doesn't exist, and it's not our "worldview". Christians do not belong to this world, and I'm going to really tick you off by quoting from the Bible one of my favorite scriptures to show WHY we dismiss false teachings and beliefs....we are not part of worldly things, and Allah and aliens are not part of God or the Bible. They are manmade fiction.

John 15:18-21 (Jesus speaking about the world hating his disciples, then and now)
"If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. Remember the words I spoke to you: No servant is greater than his master. If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the ONE who sent me."
The problem with that though is that it's predicated on the belief that what the bible says is true when there's no empirical evidence to support the claim that what the bible says is true. Why do biblical eye witness accounts have more merit than someone who has eye witness accounts of a different belief, yet there is no evidence for either. Why are the biblical accounts true, but other accounts of Allah etc manmade fiction.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:15 PM

661 posts, read 1,184,160 times
May I just point out that some devout Christians believe that you are dancing with the Devil by celebrating Christmas. It has already been said that nearly everything associated with it has pagan roots and paganism is looked upon as evil by Christians. And of course we all know that Christ was not born on December 25th or anywhere near that date.

Furthermore, your Holy book states in 2 Corinthians 6: 14,15:

'For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 15 What harmony is there between Christ and Belial?'

This Scripture shows that you must not mix your Christian beliefs with non-Christian beliefs and if Christmas is not a prime example of that, I dont know what is.

Maybe you should take up Pascals wager on this one for yourself...I mean what if....God does not approve of Christmas or anyone who celebrates it. Is it worth taking the chance?

Old 11-18-2008, 07:37 PM

661 posts, read 1,184,160 times
DOTL said on page 6

Quote:
It makes me very sad to read things like what Ringweilder said, and I don't buy it for a minute. The conscience that God gave us is to be listened to and heeded, not thrown out with the trash when the going gets too tough. It's SO MUCH EASIER to live in sin, than to live a Godly life. No rules, no one to be accountable to, just sin, sin, sin. But of course, you're all fabulous people and aren't sinners and don't need a pretend god.
You dont buy what? You assume that because I gave up my faith after 40 years of belief, it was because the going got too tough?? And that I wanted to live in sin?

Of course its impossible from the Christians viewpoint that I could leave my faith for any noble reason, for conscientious reasons, so that I could keep my own integrity, even though I lost all my friends and social structure that was my life since childhood?

No, it has to be for a selfish reason, a bad, evil reason.... sex, greed, sin...

You dont 'buy it' because it does not fit in with your extremely narrow world view and I understand that because I was like you once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality