Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2008, 11:58 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,922,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post

. I take the replies and answers as they come, and they don't come nicely. I respond like an adult because I am one, you just don't like my responses. So, I don't agree with what you say and you don't agree with what I say, but somehow it's okay for you to respond however you see fit and when I do the same, I'm an infant?
And yet, I'm not the one that threatened in a huff to leave the thread, am I? I'm not the only one who saw it that way, either. The whole thing is, YOU started the thread, and when you don't like the answers you grab your ball and threaten to run home. Good on ya. It's quite amusing.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:03 PM

33,559 posts, read 37,155,629 times
[quote=DayoftheLord;6196244]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post

Uh, could you correct your post, please? I didn't say this, Sanspeur did. Can't have that kind of confusion, don't want to be accused of flip-flopping.
Uh....No I didn't...It may be just a forum glitch.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:08 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,922,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Weird. Apologies all around. When I look at it in edit it clearly shows DOTL as the quoted. *shrug*

Could it be...SATAN?

Old 11-17-2008, 12:09 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,922,232 times
Quote:
Really, what WOULD it take for an unbeliever to actually believe in God and Jesus?
What if after you die you find out how horribly wrong you were but there is nothing you can do to change it then?
Why not correct the situation RIGHT NOW!!

Because that approach requires me to live my life in constant fear, brainlessly accepting the blather of others, versus my own decisions reached through critical thinking. Not arrogance, just the quiet peace attending an honest appreciation of our human frailties, with no-one standing by to save us all. Look up "Critical Thinking", DOTL!

Most people have heard of Pascal's Wager, but I will post it here just in case some have never heard it.
Pascal's Wager (From Wikipedia)
Pascal's Wager (or Pascal's Gambit)

To which I respond: don't be basing your life's essence on Wikipedia definitions. There's too much proof (!!) of their fallability. Mostly they're informative, but esp. when taken out of context as in your example, it's dangerous.

Believe in God, because you have absolutely nothing to lose, and quite possibly everything to gain in doing so. If you choose not to believe in God, then you could lose everything if you are wrong.

I have EVERYTHING to gain. I value independant thought and action and intellectual freedom above most all else. To blindly follow, especially given the wretched violent excesses of organized religion, is to give up on your own values, your own ethics, your seslf-worth.

Surely you understand the actual definition of "PROOF"? No? Faith isn't proof, in fact it is the default position absent proof. True PROOF abdicates the need for faith.

You aren't just baiting us here are you?

Overthinking and reasoning could be the demise of one's soul.
True. Overthinking, yep. But just "thinking"? Unlikely to hurt you too much, unless the complexity of our existence, not yet fully explained, causes you to buy too much OTC Prilosec.

[quote=DayoftheLord;6183433]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
How much proof do you need? What kind of proof? [Well, just any proof will do. Even a suspicious bit would give rise to some new thinking.] God came in the form of Jesus Christ the man, died a horrible death and arose 3 days later. 500 people witnessed His resurrection. Isn't that proof enough, not to mention the whole of creation?

Nope. 'Course not!

Here you go again... "Proof" and "Creationism" in the same sentence. Vast and logical "proof" for evolution, geologic time well past your mythic 6034 yr chronology for earth, and other clarifications, clearly exist, at least to the standards of rational fearless people. The absence of evidence (yet) is not evidence against anything. Just be patient, DOTL. Science marches on, sadly for you if you can't "Pull up! Pull up!"

I know that there is one God, but why don't you?
It's not up for debate with me, it's not an argument. It's truth. What's flawed is mankind and the arrogance of man believing he is his own god.

Hardly what we think. I am, however, responsible for my thoughts and actions. Doesn't make me a god.

This is the perfect example of exactly what my OP is about. Overthinking and debating something that is a total waste of time, because it's not up for debate.

So you want to shut down our on-line debating on this topic? Now THAT'S scary, and is why we back away from evangelical politicians.

God exists, whether people acknowledge that or not. [Nope, sorry...]. God CREATED ALL, therefore HE UNDERSTANDS ALL, we humans understand nothing. [You continue to insult me and many others...]
There's no comparison here, God is the Creator, we're the created. How can any human being expect to grasp the mind or compare him/herself to God? Unbelievable!!
[quote=GCSTroop;6183520]
Quote:

What I take issue with, in your response is that you have shut off any attempt at logical discourse and debate. You asked the question "What will it take to believe" and someone responded with "How about Proof?" Well, that's your answer DOTL.

Right! Simple question, simple answer.

Perhaps you've failed to recognize, but there are a wide breadth and variety of people on this planet who don't necessarily walk along their lives in lemming-like fashion. So, let's cut the crap and let's talk about evidence. Because that's what we Atheists want in order to believe.

We're not asking for you to stammer and quake just because we don't believe in your celestial smiley face in the sky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryturner View Post
Try the feeling of the Holy Spirit. [I did. got nothin'!] God is not in proof. God is in faith. Those who have faith also have the proof.
Oh my... how sad and insulting are the posts and proclamations from the believers. I'm pretty sure they are baiting us for the purposes of then proselytizing under the guise of honest debate. Yah think? No-one who can read and type into a computer could be that uncritical in their thinking processes. Could they?

There's truly an obvious disconnect in logic and reality here. The fundamentalist definition of proof is at obvious odds, probably by design, with that which they employ in everyday situations. Or they choose to grasp at their "proofs" absent proof. How sad. Perhaps they are a different species and we shouldn't be trying to interact with them? Chimps versus pigeons?

Old 11-17-2008, 12:14 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,626,646 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Well darn it. Be a woman and be accountable! Is that better?

You did say it however: "No rules, no one to be accountable to, just sin, sin, sin." I'm guessing you are counting on god and not yourself.
I could not be more accountable if I tried. I AM accountable to myself, AND to God. Accountable for all of my actions and sins. Because I am accountable to God, therefore I am also extremely accountable to myself. It goes hand in hand. If a person is not accountable to God, such as unbelievers, then there is no accounting to yourself or anyone for that matter....you have free reign to do whatever because you (general) do not recognize sin and that it has to be accounted for to God through repentance. If I didn't hold myself accountable for myself, then God would not listen to my prayers of forgiveness because I am not truly repenting. It has to be sincere and from the heart.
Quote:
No insults, i didn't mean specificlly you, that was more of a question then anything.
beep, beep, beep.....I hear some "backing up" going on here. This was not meant personally, right?
Quote:
Originally posted by ShepsMom
I guess the problem here is you are weak individual and you can't possibly hold yourself accountable for anything you do in your life. You are so lost and confused that you need some creature in the sky to guide you.
Seriously? That's okay though, I took it like a MAN.

Is it just me, or are a lot of the quotes attributed to the wrong posters?....I'm confused!

5,160 posts, read 9,175,007 times
Quote:
God is also using you in these discussions, whether you believe in Him or not.
That statement would be funny if it weren't for the sad fact that people actually believe it.

I also find it ironic how many times theists attempt to make double standards. Claiming their statements are not arguments (When they in fact are) but actual facts, yet they want to talk about flawed arguments. And of course, we we all know that about 99% of people that criticize evolution and the big bang can't even explain them to me. At the same time, we'll read their scriptures and find errors that they will try to explain away. Why should we be the only ones that have to do our research? Oh, wait, I know why. Because "God" dictates anything and everything that doesn't coincide with belief with him is false, even if you know nothing about it.

Clouded thinking and circular arguments.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:15 PM

[quote=sanspeur;6196345]
Quote:
Go back to post #87 and you'll see what I mean.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
And yet, I'm not the one that threatened in a huff to leave the thread, am I? I'm not the only one who saw it that way, either. The whole thing is, YOU started the thread, and when you don't like the answers you grab your ball and threaten to run home. Good on ya. It's quite amusing.
I have a headache, man!!! I'm a Christian so I can't get fed up and take a step back? Weird response.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:19 PM

[quote=DayoftheLord;6196510]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post

Go back to post #87 and you'll see what I mean.
You mean this?
Originally Posted by sanspeur

Right on. I'd see more of a chance of a "higher power" if everything WASN'T different.

I didn't say that...SuSu did.

Edit...See it has attributed your post to me...No wonder you are getting a headache...I am too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality