Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 08:09 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,436,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgal View Post
Something that puzzles me about the bible and christianity in general is why there are no new prophets? Why, all those centuries ago, did god 'reveal' himself to the prophets of the bible, and then seemingly just stop? That makes no sense to me.

I reasonably assume if god revealed himself to a new prophet tomorrow, this person would be considered a raving nut-job and probably mentally ill, even by the most devout of believers.

So why doesn't god reveal himself anymore?
Because it is finished - Seal up vision and prophet - Dan 9
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 09:02 AM

460 posts, read 593,193 times
Guess I'd have to ask the question why a person thinks God revealed Himself? Because a person wrote a book?

One of the major underlying themes of the stories of the Old Testament is that God is unknowable. It has not revealed Itself. One of the major factors in the God of the Old Testament being different, acting different, etc. is because the God is merely an actor in morality stories, with an emphasis on defining a religion that will 1) identify a monotheistic people and 2) create a "chosen" body of people that will get into the Kingdom of God while everyone else will not.

To accept that there were, repeat were prophets is to also accept the proven-not-to-be-true concept that the Bible represents Jewish and sometimes real world history.

The Jews didn't accept their Bible stories as history, and I cannot fathom Christians insisting that these very same Bible stories ARE history. On top of that, you have the beginnings of Islam who begged, borrowed, and stole stories from the Bible, made them their own, and tout these stories as "the absolute truth."

Besides, if a so-called true Prophet of God were to pop us somewhere, who is going to believe him, besides the handful of unfortunate people who followed David Karesh, Jim Jones, and other opportunists, including this latest Harold Camping delusion?

If I were this true Prophet of God, would you believe me? Of course not. I am flesh-and-blood just like the rest of you, put my pants on like most of you (thinking cultures who do not wear pants), and am just as nutty and clueless as the rest of humanity. Besides, I don't work miracles to convince the gullible to follow me like the parable of animals following the owl "who-is-god" to their inevitable doom.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:29 AM

2,776 posts, read 2,670,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgal View Post
why there are no new prophets? ?

we were told that there will be no new prophets.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:52 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post
we were told that there will be no new prophets.
Where were we told that?

Old 01-16-2012, 09:55 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
he does he constantly does. lots of warnings and messages. they are ignored. and his messangers are jeered and mocked and ordered to take meds.
the message is there its the listening that is the issue.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:35 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,002,363 times
Each Abrahamic belief system has a finality to their message, saying there will be no more to come. I think it is do to their self protecting nature of their belief. The only major religion that I know of that promotes future prophets is the Baha'i. However, even in their belief it is said that another will not come before a 1000 years have passed.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:43 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Because there never have been prophets (or miracles), just people. People worship people all the time.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:23 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
The only major religion that I know of that promotes future prophets is the Baha'i. However, even in their belief it is said that another will not come before a 1000 years have passed.
Well, Mormonism teaches that there has been a living prophet on the earth ever since 1830, and that there will continue to be, at least until Christ's return.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:03 PM

2,776 posts, read 2,670,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Where were we told that?

here
Muhammad is not the father of any man among you, but he is
the messenger of Allah and the Seal of the Prophets and
Allah is ever Aware of all things. Holy Quran 33:40

Old 01-16-2012, 03:34 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,002,363 times
According to the Book of Terry, which was told to Terry by the Flying Spaghetti Monster and was written down in said book, which by the way makes it true because it was written down, there will be prophets to come to rid the world of "the wrong way of thinking". I don't know what is the right way of thinking is due to the prophets haven't arrived yet, at least not that I'm aware of. They just might be lurking on C-D at this very moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality