Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 04:59 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,808 times

Advertisements

Moses was found by Pharohs daughter and raised in Pharohs house, but it was his mother who was his nurse and taught him about the Lord.

Also, Egypt was run by Joseph for many years. There were many temple to the Hebrew God in Egypt. These were only destroyed after the Hebrews left Egypt.

It is most likely that Josephs father brought with him the accounts of Genesis when he was carried down into Egypt. These accounts of Genesis would have been kept by Joseph in the Egyptian libraries, causing similarities to the Egyptian books of the dead.

Moses took the acounts of Genesis out of the Egyptian libraries when he left Egypt because as a son of Pharoh he had access to them. He compiled Genesis, but did not write Genesis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 09:30 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Moses was found by Pharohs daughter and raised in Pharohs house, but it was his mother who was his nurse and taught him about the Lord.

Also, Egypt was run by Joseph for many years. There were many temple to the Hebrew God in Egypt. These were only destroyed after the Hebrews left Egypt.

It is most likely that Josephs father brought with him the accounts of Genesis when he was carried down into Egypt. These accounts of Genesis would have been kept by Joseph in the Egyptian libraries, causing similarities to the Egyptian books of the dead.

Moses took the acounts of Genesis out of the Egyptian libraries when he left Egypt because as a son of Pharoh he had access to them. He compiled Genesis, but did not write Genesis.

A couple of thoughts on this. Moses's mother was a "nurse maid". How long did she nurse him? I would guess that after Moses no longer needed to nurse, his mother's role was over.

About Joseph, he married a daughter of an Egyptian priest, did he not? Do you think that the father-in-law had some influence on Joseph?

Old 03-24-2009, 06:12 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,305,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If Moses was rescued and raised by an Egyptian princess as a baby, how did he learn about the God of Abraham? Do you think he might have been raised to worship Egyptian Gods? Could the OT be a combination of the Hebrew's God and the Egyptian's Gods?
It's possible that Moses was taught about the egyptian god, but God has a way of changing someones thinking.

But what we do know that Moses spend time with God and had experiences with Him to understand who God was. He learned who He was by trusting Him and seeing God do miracles and heard God speak to Him in ways that we can only imagine hearing God.

I mean if I heard a voice out of a burning bush that would be kind of scary. Or if I could sit with God on a mountain for 40 days in His mist with nothing but Him and me, that would be be excellent.

But Moses knew God because He spend time with God and trusted Him.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:12 AM

33,552 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Moses must have had a LONG conversation with God there then to know what all to write about in Genesis.

BTW, are you aware of all the similarities between the ancient Egyptian, "Book of the Dead" and the Bible?
Did Moses write Genesis? Many theologians today think Genesis was written by several different people. Writers of the Book of Genesis

Old 03-24-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Did Moses write Genesis? Many theologians today think Genesis was written by several different people. Writers of the Book of Genesis
Moses wrote the first 5 books. I'm not concerned with what theologians think. There thinking has nothing to do with the bible.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:20 AM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
Moses wrote the first 5 books. I'm not concerned with what theologians think. There thinking has nothing to do with the bible.
Right . . . what would educated theologians studying the origins of the writings about God in religions know about it. That would be like trusting neurosurgeons to know about brain surgery . . . ridiculous!

Old 03-24-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Right . . . what would educated theologians studying the origins of the writings about God in religions know about it. That would be like trusting neurosurgeons to know about brain surgery . . . ridiculous!
Not all theologians study the bible thoroughly. You have so many types of theology, so who is to say that the theologians is the best in what you believe. There are more than Christian Theologians and some are not studying the bible looking out for peoples best interest.

There are also Thelogians that don't believe in God. So you see theologian can mean alot of different things.

Not all neurosurgeons know everything about the brain. There are some that specialize in certain areas.

So, it is ridiculous to see the word theologian and not relize that there are many different types that believe in many different things.

If you research the topic you will see that a person does not have to believe in God to be a theologians. So, of course I would not want to trust their insight on the bible that they don't believe in.

There is also Atheist Theologians, so I say again it is ridiculos to not know the different types of theologians out their and to thing that all theologians are studying the bible.

I'll say again but will add more so you want get confused: Moses wrote the first 5 books. I'm not concerned with what theologians think. There thinking has nothing to do with the bible. Not all theologians study the bible and some don't even believe in GOd, so of course I would not trust their thinking about God's Word.

Last edited by Miss Shawn_2828; 03-24-2009 at 09:56 AM..

Old 03-24-2009, 10:06 AM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
As you wish, shawn . . . as long as it brings you to love of God and each other.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
As you wish, shawn . . . as long as it brings you to love of God and each other.
Of course, I would trust someone who truely studies the bible, but I would be very cautious of someone just calling themself a theologian and not knowing what they believe.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:33 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
Of course, I would trust someone who truely studies the bible, but I would be very cautious of someone just calling themself a theologian and not knowing what they believe.
Wouldn’t the best way to reach to learn from the Bible be to reach conclusions about it after reading and studying it instead of before??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality