Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 04:30 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,306,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Wouldn’t the best way to reach to learn from the Bible be to reach conclusions about it after reading and studying it instead of before??
I do read and study the bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 04:59 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
I do read and study the bible.
Does one have to be a "believer" before studying the Bible? If someone is not a believer, wouldn't studying the Bible convert them? Therefore, wouldn't the most credible approach to studying the Bible be from unbiased theologians?

Let me put it another way. If someone's mind is already made up about the Bible, why bother studying it?

Old 03-24-2009, 05:22 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
There is no single consensus among secular biblical scholars as to just who wrote the Torah and when. The most generally accepted theory, identifies four discrete components of the text, written and edited from c 950 BCE to c 400 BCE. According to this hypothesis, the J (or Yawhist) document was written in Judah c 950 BCE, the E (or Elohist) document was written c 850 BCE in Israel and these two may have been edited together (into JE) c 750 BCE. The D (or Deuteronomist) document is usually dated to c 650. Finally, priests living during or after the Babylonian exile reworked JE and D, as well as providing more material, culminating in the Torah, c 400 BCE.

Authors of the Bible - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
As you know the Torah is basically the old testament.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Does one have to be a "believer" before studying the Bible? If someone is not a believer, wouldn't studying the Bible convert them? Therefore, wouldn't the most credible approach to studying the Bible be from unbiased theologians?

Let me put it another way. If someone's mind is already made up about the Bible, why bother studying it?
Anyone can study or read the bible. I'm not saying that the bible is limited to certain people. There is a chance but why would I trust or want to know about someone who is Atheist and a theologion. We believe in different things. Anyone can study the bible, but if someone does not believe in God, then they can still study the bible, but they will probably still have a certain factor of still not believing even when they read it.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:49 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Anyone can study or read the bible. I'm not saying that the bible is limited to certain people. There is a chance but why would I trust or want to know about someone who is Atheist and a theologion. We believe in different things. Anyone can study the bible, but if someone does not believe in God, then they can still study the bible, but they will probably still have a certain factor of still not believing even when they read it.
I see.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Anyone studying the bible who believes it is the literal word of God would not come to reliable conclusions because of their bias.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Anyone studying the bible who believes it is the literal word of God would not come to reliable conclusions because of their bias.
You have people who don't believe in the bible or God but say that they have come up with reliable conclusions and used their bias without any proof what so ever. People do it all the time, kinda like a broken record.

THe bible is not what we think it is, it is what it says that it is. I don't see how studying the bible and reading it for what it is and coming up with your own conclusion a factor. Some may do it, but they are wrong. When you study the bible, as God's Word, then you study it for what God says that it is, nothing more or nothing less.

The bible is the Word of God, but some will not believe that, which is fine, but that want change what God says that it is.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:32 PM

Actually the bible was written by men, many of whom are unknown. The scholars studying the bible are mixed, some honest Christians and some secular working together. You may not like the conclusions they come to, especially if you see the bible as some kind of literal truth inspired by God, but nonetheless much is being learned about it's origins. I do admit that much is in dispute, but not all.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Actually the bible was written by men, many of whom are unknown. The scholars studying the bible are mixed, some honest Christians and some secular working together. You may not like the conclusions they come to, especially if you see the bible as some kind of literal truth inspired by God, but nonetheless much is being learned about it's origins. I do admit that much is in dispute, but not all.
Written by men, author is the Holy Spirit. Yes, not all theologians are honest. That is why I don't jump to every conclusion, because you don't know the basis behind someones teaching or meaning.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:34 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,793,816 times
Default My response

This is my response taken from a different thread... although in line with where this discussion is heading:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/8038169-post32.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality