Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 03:13 PM

177 posts, read 381,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
Sorry, Pinoy, any reformer of a system will stay within and crusade for its correction. Not form a break away sect for more control and power. I don't buy Protestantism and the reason it was born. It was a lame excuse for a new organization.

Protestantism was never a reformer.. and was never an organization .. the prophecies of the seven churches in revelation highly regards that the break away was necessary for the benefit of all.. religion was never intended for control or power or by making a new organization.. but it was a way for further movement in our biblical doctrine... if we had stayed the way it was will Christianity see the light that he is on right now.. it will still be a dark age as anyone who go against the church is doomed to death...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 03:18 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
It is complex, but I have an overall positive view of the Catholic Church in light of the reforms and apologies that have been made over the past few centuries. I still strongly dislike the historical Catholic church of Pre-Council of Trent, but believe much progress has been made post-Trent all the way to and beyond Vatican II though I still feel the church is far from perfect.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:26 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
Fixed

Old 04-13-2009, 03:27 PM

605 posts, read 1,843,251 times
I hate it when people blame organized religion on starting wars. No where in the Quaran does it say to tear down the twin towers, no where in the Torah does it say to abuse the Palestenians, and no where in the Bible does it say to go and kill people. All of them say to live peacefully. People who start wars fight because they are greedy and want power. It's not religious leaders who start wars.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:30 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,005,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
The Catholic Church is God's Church. All the misconceptions and falsehoods spread by protestants are a result of uninformed and ignorant people who simply refuse to take the time to understand why we believe the things we do.

Someone earlier in the thread said that if you believe everything the Catholic Church believes about Marian doctrine, purgatory, etc then you are not really a true Christian. I would argue the opposite. That if you don't believe these things, especially in the Eucharist, then YOU are not living Christianity to it's fullest.

I am not going to get into a debate here, because I've debated plenty of anti-Catholics on these forums before and always win. I simply don't have the time right now. But this is my two cents.
The "Church of Christ" and the Seventh Day Adventist Church would beg to differ. And so would The Worldwide Church of God (once upon a time. How's Herbert Armstrong dong, by the way?) as well as the Jehovah's Witness Organization.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:43 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
Someone had mentioned that the Catholics really know how to put on a show and I agree. Their traditions are very old and established and they seem much more formal in the manner in which they perform their rituals and services. You're never going to walk into a Catholic church and hear a rock band or see a priest wearing a suit and tie. Their organization with the Pope as the head of the church also seems much more complex and regimented than other churches. I went into a huge Catholic church in Mexico City a couple of years ago when there was a service going on. The Catholics understand the power of presenting dramatic pageantry and I could feel that as I stood in the back of this imposing and ornate building.
Catholics are very traditional and don't like change. The sexual scandals hurt their reputation very badly and I don't think they dealt with it effectively. In many parts of the world I think they're losing followers but in Latin America almost everyone is a Catholic and that has also given them greater numbers in America due to the large immigration from Mexico and other Latin American nations. Also, I do have to give them credit for acknowledging the reality of evolution.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:46 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,352,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
The "Church of Christ" and the Seventh Day Adventist Church would beg to differ. And so would The Worldwide Church of God (once upon a time. How's Herbert Armstrong dong, by the way?) as well as the Jehovah's Witness Organization.
Yes, we would, but probably not in the way you think.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:52 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,776,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
Then how so?

Old 04-13-2009, 04:03 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,005,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
Thus my point is proven.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:12 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,352,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
Then how so?
Because Insane meant it as to say, we believe we're the only true church, so the Catholic church cannot be God's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Thus my point is proven.
Ooohhh... feel better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality