Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 11:22 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,376,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Mormonism is a lie from hell, and is not Christian.
"For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things. If not so ... righteousness could not be brought to pass, neither wickedness, neither holiness nor misery, neither good nor bad...." 2 Nephi 2: 11

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/2_ne/2/11#11

You seem to have found yourself among the opposition to the truths that Latter-day Saints teach about God and His son Jesus Christ. Had you not been so closed-minded perhaps you might have had some truth added to your present understandings.

But perhaps you don't care about getting to know your Father in Heaven better, where you came from, where you are going and where you're headed when your mortal probation comes to an end.

Below is a link to our witness of Jesus Christ. I only think it is the Christian thing to do to share the gospel as best you know it, rather than try to put down the sacred beliefs of other followers of Jesus Christ.

http://jesuschrist.lds.org/SonOfGod/eng/

Enjoy the day Johnny.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:35 PM

304 posts, read 1,304,554 times
Quote:
It evidently is worth discussing religion since people convert to various new religions and belief sets every day. If mormon missionaries didn't get converts, they wouldn't do what they do. Same go for missionaries and proslytizers of every religion or ideology.

Debate and argument is always worth spending time on. It is extremely influential in how people form beliefs and make decisions, from major beliefs to small ones.
Missionaries and proselytizers evangelize because their faiths _impel_ them to, regardless of success rate. And they usually get people who are wavering, seeking, or otherwise needy -- not those with adamantly-held beliefs (or un-beliefs).

As for discussions ... I certainly don't oppose open-minded, educational chats and info-sharing. But it's pointless when people head-bang vs. people who have their own strong beliefs: You've got two people pointing at equally-unprovable texts or dogma, each saying, "I'm right because the book I believe in says so (and because it works for me)."

Old 05-10-2009, 12:43 PM

304 posts, read 1,304,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
I only think it is the Christian thing to do to share the gospel as best you know it, rather than try to put down the sacred beliefs of other followers of Jesus Christ.
The fact that there _are_ so many variants on Christian belief (40,000 or so sects), and that these people eschew attending any "church" other than their own, indicates that it's not so simple.

There'd be flaming inter-Christian conflict even if Christianity were the only religion on earth, and if even agnosticism/atheism were nonexistent.

There already _is_.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:48 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,464,020 times
Quote:
Mormonism is a lie from hell, and is not Christian.

Well, one's response to any Mormon missionaries is going to be affected by one's belief about the religion. I would agree that LDS is demonstrably a fraudulent organization in that its foundations are based on undocumented events, hearsay, and intentionally misattributed "scriptures." But some of the same could be said about early Christianity.

IMO, the "selling proposition" for the LDS church is membership in a cleverly conceived alternative society, not the attractiveness of its religious beliefs.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:38 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,791,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
What a profound philosophical statement
That's a theological statement, not a philosophical one. And it isn't especially profound, necessarily, nor was it meant to be.

Quote:
Maybe I was right in my response to you the 1st time.
Then why did you backpedal and go back on what you said? Make up your damn mind.

Quote:
But of course you fundies will find common ground with them to bash the gehys and ignore all your own shortcomings and own lil' nuances that have nothing to do with the teachings of Jesus.
Where did I bash gays (note proper spelling)??? What are you on crack? Do you have me mixed up with someone else again?? Or are you just going by the stereotype in your mind (again) based on your bigotry?

Quote:
This just goes to prove that christianity in any form is a scam, boils down to who's ponzi scheme is "better" than the other one.
This just goes to prove that your beef with Christianity is rooted entirely in bigotry based on your anecdotal evidence rather than in legitimate gripe based on an open-minded approach.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anders View Post
Missionaries and proselytizers evangelize because their faiths _impel_ them to, regardless of success rate. And they usually get people who are wavering, seeking, or otherwise needy -- not those with adamantly-held beliefs (or un-beliefs).

As for discussions ... I certainly don't oppose open-minded, educational chats and info-sharing. But it's pointless when people head-bang vs. people who have their own strong beliefs: You've got two people pointing at equally-unprovable texts or dogma, each saying, "I'm right because the book I believe in says so (and because it works for me)."
Your assertion that people who convert to religions are "people who are wavering, seeking, or otherwise needy" rather than "those with adamantly-held beliefs" is purely your own opinion and not based in any hard evidence whatsoever.

As for "success rate", you betray your own argument that proselytizing is based merely upon the compulsion by religioius organizations of their adherents because you immediately acknowledge some level of success albeit with those you assert are "wavering", etc. In short, your argument that the impetus for proselytization is based in obligation with no regards for "success rate" is flat-out wrong. You can't claim that it is based on compulsion with no success rate and then claim that success rate is based on the weaknesses of the converts; in doing so, you admit the very success rate you implied to not exist actually does exist. You contraicted yourself.

I somewhat agree that two people with firm beliefs who butt heads in argument is pointless. It depends how firm each one is. There is no way to know until people talk. I'm not sure what that has to do with people who attempt to spread their religions' respective "gospels". It's like saying that it's a waste of time for a salesperson to try to sell someone something he or she doesn't need; while that's true, a salesperson doesn't know what a potential customer needs or doesn't need until he or she asks. To say that sales is a waste of time and that it is pointless for salespeople to try to sell is absurd, just as it is absurd to suggest that discussion of spiritual beliefs is pointless. It may be in some cases but certainly not all. And there is a success rate which proves it's worth attempting, in both cases (sales and "witnessing").

Old 05-10-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
"For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things. If not so ... righteousness could not be brought to pass, neither wickedness, neither holiness nor misery, neither good nor bad...." 2 Nephi 2: 11

2 Nephi 2

You seem to have found yourself among the opposition to the truths that Latter-day Saints teach about God and His son Jesus Christ. Had you not been so closed-minded perhaps you might have had some truth added to your present understandings.
First of all, I am a Latter-day Saint. But I oppose what the Salt Lake Mormon cult teaches. I'm not the one who is closed-minded, but rather the adherents of the Salt Lake cult who are closed-minded and in fact brainwashed.

Quote:
But perhaps you don't care about getting to know your Father in Heaven better, where you came from, where you are going and where you're headed when your mortal probation comes to an end.
I know my Heavenly Father very well and I know where I came from and where I'm going after physical death.

Quote:
Below is a link to our witness of Jesus Christ. I only think it is the Christian thing to do to share the gospel as best you know it, rather than try to put down the sacred beliefs of other followers of Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ, The Son of God

Enjoy the day Johnny.
The link you gave me is more of Satan's lies and certainly not gospel. It is full of lies from the pit of hell and from Satan himself. Your beliefs are not sacred, nor are your beliefs in Jesus Christ, because you're not a monotheist but rather a polytheist (henotheist, to be precise). Joseph Smith was a pedophile and polygamist and your cult does not admit that he was wrong to be either because you people want to do the same thing in ("Celestial Kingdom" which doesn't even exist).

Do you really believe that the Sure Sign of the Nail will get you into any kind of heaven? Do you really believe that Masonic handshakes are the secret passage into heaven? If so, I know them - I know the grips and the tokens, so I'll be sure to get through the "veil", lol. "Health in the navel, marrow in the bones, strength in the loins and sinews. Power in the Priesthood be upon me, and upon my posterity through all generations of time, and throughout all eternity." See? That will get me in!

Old 05-11-2009, 01:03 AM

53 posts, read 70,058 times
Quote:
First of all, I am a Latter-day Saint. But I oppose what the Salt Lake Mormon cult teaches. I'm not the one who is closed-minded, but rather the adherents of the Salt Lake cult who are closed-minded and in fact brainwashed.

I know my Heavenly Father very well and I know where I came from and where I'm going after physical death.

The link you gave me is more of Satan's lies and certainly not gospel. It is full of lies from the pit of hell and from Satan himself. Your beliefs are not sacred, nor are your beliefs in Jesus Christ, because you're not a monotheist but rather a polytheist (henotheist, to be precise). Joseph Smith was a pedophile and polygamist and your cult does not admit that he was wrong to be either because you people want to do the same thing in ("Celestial Kingdom" which doesn't even exist).

Do you really believe that the Sure Sign of the Nail will get you into any kind of heaven? Do you really believe that Masonic handshakes are the secret passage into heaven? If so, I know them - I know the grips and the tokens, so I'll be sure to get through the "veil", lol. "Health in the navel, marrow in the bones, strength in the loins and sinews. Power in the Priesthood be upon me, and upon my posterity through all generations of time, and throughout all eternity." See? That will get me in!
Wow! That is harsh and rather ironic that you cannot see the flaws in your own religious teachings and the behaviour of your religious heros!
Drunkenness, rape, adultery, genocide - shall I go on?
Why don't you just go and get a nice shiny mirror and look at your own beliefs with the same scrutiny you just looked at his? It will all smell of the same brand of cow excrement.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:46 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,376,536 times
Quote:
First of all, I am a Latter-day Saint. But I oppose what the Salt Lake Mormon cult teaches. I'm not the one who is closed-minded, but rather the adherents of the Salt Lake cult who are closed-minded and in fact brainwashed....
God will not be mocked Johnny, I am sorry for you.

But repentance is possible while breath remains. Why not try for some joy today, instead of hatred, bitterness, vengeance for some perceived wrong that will not allow you to leave the Latter-day Saints alone to worship God as they choose?

"We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may." 11th Article of Faith LDS Church

Articles of Faith 1

Old 05-11-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs42 View Post
Wow! That is harsh and rather ironic that you cannot see the flaws in your own religious teachings and the behaviour of your religious heros!
Drunkenness, rape, adultery, genocide - shall I go on?
Why don't you just go and get a nice shiny mirror and look at your own beliefs with the same scrutiny you just looked at his? It will all smell of the same brand of cow excrement.
LOL, what are "[my] own religious teachings" and what are the flaws??

Please, do tell about the drunkenness, rape, adultery, etc... Be specific, because I don't know what you're talking about. Genocide? Yes, my people were and are the victims of genocide, that is true.

And I hold my beliefs to the same scrutiny to which I hold the mormon's. The only thing that smells of cow excrement right now is your breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality