Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2009, 10:59 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,441,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
It am (hardly) working today at home. The boss lets me work from home every Friday and I usually spend the time goofing off on the Internet.

Anyway, here I am sitting home all alone with not much going on and the door bell rings. I get up and at the door is one of the most wholesome polite young men you would ever see with his white shirt and tie. He must of been maybe 18 years old. He was a missionary from the Mormon Church.

It is my understanding that the young men from the church have to spend a year or so doing missionary work. Knocking on doors spreading the faith must be the toughest job out there. I suspect many people are quite rude and many will even slam the door in their face. But of course they did not ask to be disturbed from their daily activity.

I told him I was on the phone and was a little rude. (I lied) I feel guilty. I had nothing important to do but am afraid that if I invited him in my home or listened to him I would not heard the end of it and would get the hard sell.

How would you respond. I only attend Church on Holidays and go to the Luthern Church but am not a member.
I like to talk, so I have stood and talked to many who want to convert me to their faith. I always see if I can convert them to my faith. Alot of times it goes for 1/2 to 1 hr. with them leaving to spread their faith to others. But if I havn't been able to convert them, I see it as one less hour for them to convert someone else on my street to their faith.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:01 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,791,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
God will not be mocked Johnny, I am sorry for you.
If you know that God will not be mocked then why do you and your cult mock Him? And what are you sorry for me for?

Quote:
But repentance is possible while breath remains. Why not try for some joy today, instead of hatred, bitterness, vengeance for some perceived wrong that will not allow you to leave the Latter-day Saints alone to worship God as they choose?
Don't you believe that repentance is possible after breath is gone as well? If so, what's the urgent rush? And don't you believe that all have salvation except sons of perdition? Are you saying I'm a son of perdition - a demon? Well, you're wrong.

As far as the Latter-day Saints go, for one thing, I am a Latter-day Saint. Aside from that - what have I done that doesn't "leave the Latter-day Saints alone to worship God as they choose?" Where did you get that notion from? Show me how I've hampered anyone's ability or choice to worship as they choose.

Quote:
"We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may." 11th Article of Faith LDS Church

Articles of Faith 1
That should be re-named the Articles of Crap.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:13 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,982,872 times
I have had this happen too...My rule is this: If I'm on the street, I'm fair game. I am out there and anyone, a sales man, a missionary, a prostitute, anyone can come up to me and offer me what ever. However, in my home I expect privacy.

Anyway, I am usually nice to them and explain my beliefs and wish them well. It usually works.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:25 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,642,454 times
We had these young men touring in our neighborhood and after our pastor had several calls from confused church members, he decided to invite them to our baptist church so we could all learn together. I had never learned so much about what these people believe as I did in that one Sunday night session. I usually just tell them that I already have a faith, as politely as I can. I also tell them that I was taught it is useless to argue about what is in the Bible. Anybody can read it, so I really don't need them to tell me what it says.

I remember one of our church leaders asked them how they felt about the verse stating that a deacon should be the husband of one wife. They told us that means that the deacon should be married and have at least one wife. LOL

Old 05-11-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I remember one of our church leaders asked them how they felt about the verse stating that a deacon should be the husband of one wife. They told us that means that the deacon should be married and have at least one wife. LOL
lol, yeah, they are still into polygamy, all of them.

The biggest difference between the Salt Lake Mormon religion and the hundreds of offshoots is that the offshoots all believe that people should be practicing polygamy right now, just like Joseph Smith and Brigham Young (two of the founding prophets of the religion) did when they were alive. In fact, Joseph Smith and Brigham Young married many wives which were either young 14 and 15 year old girls as well as the wives of their friends and other Mormon leaders.

The mainstream mormon religion has forbidden polygamy in the earthly life of their members but they believe that in the afterlife, in heaven, they will get additional wives who will be their goddess-wives and help them populate their planets.

The mormon woman's highest role is to be an eternal mother, eternally having babies; she has a very subjugated role in the mormon heaven, Mormon women who are not worthy to have children hope to at least be allowed to serve food to the goddess wives and help babysit and take care of the babies.

Mormonism is a religion about sex, basically, much like a lot of the other pagan fertility religions. Their goal is not so much eternal life but rather eternal sex and procreation.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:29 PM

319 posts, read 1,463,895 times
Well when they come to my house.. I open the door and say come on in.. and I play dumb as rocks !!

I let them go on for a bit.. and then I interupt and ask..

WHO MADE THE WORLD?

they stumble and ask what ? I said who made the world ?

they always say GOD DID..

wrong answer !!!

Jesus Christ made all things and without him nothing was made that was made !!

then I get into the gospel of John.. they run out of my house.

end of visit !!

Jesus Christ said 7 times in the Gospel of John (I am Jehovah ) !!!

they do not like the truth.. they run !! and tell others.. do not go to that house.!!

I do the same with everyone of these kook cults.. I bring them right on in and act very stupid for quite a while.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:52 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,630,095 times
JessE86 wrote:
Quote:
Well when they come to my house.. I open the door and say come on in.. and I play dumb as rocks !!
Are you actually just playing dumb as rocks? Just wondering.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:20 PM

498 posts, read 1,456,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
lol, yeah, they are still into polygamy, all of them.
Maybe you should go to Utah, or even just an LDS ward and see how "polygamist" they really are.

Quote:
The biggest difference between the Salt Lake Mormon religion and the hundreds of offshoots is that the offshoots all believe that people should be practicing polygamy right now, just like Joseph Smith and Brigham Young (two of the founding prophets of the religion) did when they were alive. In fact, Joseph Smith and Brigham Young married many wives which were either young 14 and 15 year old girls as well as the wives of their friends and other Mormon leaders.
Well, I know of one offshoot that still practices polygamy.. but they've been teaching their own doctrine for a long time now, so that's not really relevant. However, it is worth noting that wedding at the age of 14 or 15 was not illegal or uncommon in the 19th century, and there are literally hundreds of journals that will tell you, the early church leaders practiced polygamy hesitantly and sorrowfully. They did so under unique circumstances, it was never meant to be a permanent thing. The church certainly wouldn't exist today, with its numbers anyway, had they not practiced polygamy. They simply believe it was essential that every woman needed a husband (because, obviously, many were killed during the time and many left to proselytize).

Quote:
The mainstream mormon religion has forbidden polygamy in the earthly life of their members but they believe that in the afterlife, in heaven, they will get additional wives who will be their goddess-wives and help them populate their planets.
That's actually not true. Sorry.

Quote:
The mormon woman's highest role is to be an eternal mother, eternally having babies; she has a very subjugated role in the mormon heaven, Mormon women who are not worthy to have children hope to at least be allowed to serve food to the goddess wives and help babysit and take care of the babies.
I take a bit of offense to that. LDS women, both in this life and in the next, are treated higher by men than men treat themselves. In no doctrine does the LDS church teach that women are inferior or insignificant, they just carry out different (but equally important) roles than men.

Quote:
Mormonism is a religion about sex, basically, much like a lot of the other pagan fertility religions. Their goal is not so much eternal life but rather eternal sex and procreation.
Hah, have you ever considered going on tour? It's kind of funny you said that, seeing how Utah has the lowest divorce rates, and the church disciplines promiscuous members by denying them the sacrament, temple services, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessE86 View Post
I let them go on for a bit.. and then I interupt and ask..
WHO MADE THE WORLD?
they stumble and ask what ? I said who made the world ?
they always say GOD DID..
wrong answer !!!
Jesus Christ made all things and without him nothing was made that was made !!
then I get into the gospel of John.. they run out of my house.
end of visit !!
Jesus Christ said 7 times in the Gospel of John (I am Jehovah ) !!!
they do not like the truth.. they run !! and tell others.. do not go to that house.!! I do the same with everyone of these kook cults.. I bring them right on in and act very stupid for quite a while.
Well, I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but the LDS church teaches that Christ is Jehovah. And it's also appropriate to refer to Christ as God in certain circumstances (though that's not a belief unique to the LDS church...).

Old 05-11-2009, 06:35 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,564,755 times
I almost always invite them in and give them food.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamborgotti View Post
Maybe you should go to Utah, or even just an LDS ward and see how "polygamist" they really are.
I've been to Utah and I have seen polygamists with their wives. And there are many, many LDS wards full of polygamists. For example, Colorado City wards that are under Warren Jeffs - they are all polygamists. The wards full of polygamists are not welcoming to strangers because they are afraid of being arrested, so they would be hostile and physically harm me or anyone who tried to "visit". Many LDS wards are closed to the general public and to visitors.

Quote:
Well, I know of one offshoot that still practices polygamy.. but they've been teaching their own doctrine for a long time now, so that's not really relevant. However, it is worth noting that wedding at the age of 14 or 15 was not illegal or uncommon in the 19th century, and there are literally hundreds of journals that will tell you, the early church leaders practiced polygamy hesitantly and sorrowfully. They did so under unique circumstances, it was never meant to be a permanent thing. The church certainly wouldn't exist today, with its numbers anyway, had they not practiced polygamy. They simply believe it was essential that every woman needed a husband (because, obviously, many were killed during the time and many left to proselytize).
Just one offshoot? There are many LDS churches which practice polygamy. For example:

Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (FLDS) (Warren Jeffs)
Canadian FLDS polygamists Bountiful, British Columbia
Latter Day Church of Christ, The Kingston Clan of Utah
Church of the Lamb of God, Ervil LeBaron
Apostolic United Brethren, Allred Clan
The True and Living Church of Jesus Christ of Saints of the Later Days, James Harmston

...and there are many other LDS churches which practice polygamy.

Furthermore, the prophets all LDS churches recognize (except the RLDS) - Joseph Smith and Brigham Young - were the biggest polygamists of all time. Walk into a Salt Lake LDS ward and you'll hear them sing "Praise to the man", a hymn of worship and praise to Joseph Smith who is the first polygamist and even preached that polygamy MUST be done. And, all LDS, including the main Salt Lake Sect, have in their scriptures that polygamy is commanded by God.

Quote:
That's actually not true. Sorry.
That is actually true, sorry. Whom do you think you're fooling, anyway?

Quote:
I take a bit of offense to that. LDS women, both in this life and in the next, are treated higher by men than men treat themselves. In no doctrine does the LDS church teach that women are inferior or insignificant, they just carry out different (but equally important) roles than men.
What do you take offense, to, exactly? I never said that women are treated "lowly", nor did I say that the LDS church teaches that women are inferior or insignificant. What i did say was precisely what a woman's role will be according to LDS teaching. You're the one who is interpreting that as somehow inferior or insignificant or lowly, because I never said anything.

Quote:
Hah, have you ever considered going on tour? It's kind of funny you said that, seeing how Utah has the lowest divorce rates, and the church disciplines promiscuous members by denying them the sacrament, temple services, etc.
Utah also has the highest child abuse rates and highest rates of mental illness. Probably has a lot to do with polygamy and trying to keep families together no matter how abusive the mormon parents are.

Quote:
Well, I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but the LDS church teaches that Christ is Jehovah. And it's also appropriate to refer to Christ as God in certain circumstances (though that's not a belief unique to the LDS church...).
Well, the fact is that the LDS church teaches that there are other gods out there and that many mormon men will become gods, so that is a polytheistic belief. The fact that mormons only worship 2 of the gods - Heavenly Father and Jesus (who they consider to be 2 separate gods, by the way, which is polytheist) means that their (your) specific form of polytheism is "henotheism", which is a form of polytheism where people believe in many, many gods' existence but believe that they are only to worship a few of the many gods in existence. That's what mormons believe - many, many gods and that they are to worship 2 of them (at least). That's not Christianity at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality