Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 08:42 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfraysse View Post
Brother BlueFly and Sister jojajn:

I believe you are RIGHT to challenge, investigate and even “own” the atrocities of Christian History if you are going to be associated with the religion. I think the problem is the Bible itself which presents an Evil god in the OT and then a distorted picture of Jesus and His Mission in the NT. Worse yet many Christians view the Bible as an idol. The trouble is that you can justify any vile act you like with the “word of god”. Also a serious look at early Christian History, especially the development of the Roman Catholic Church in the 4th Century, will show you how Christian Orthodoxy evolved and how many pagan customs and ideologies we have adopted as “truth”.

As a believer, I found that I had to move past “The Book” and the bondage of “having to be right”. Instead I decided to use God’s Spirit and my God-Given ability to reason to discern that which is good and evil. I still study the Bible, but with a Skeptical Eye. Even so, there are many, many wonderful lessons to learn! But, I decided long ago that I could no longer “spiritualize” all the “god” commanded or sanctioned evil. (murder, genocide, rape, child abuse, slavery and the subjugation of women). Sure, you are going to get lots of spiritually insecure folks who will not abide ANY questions or challenges and will offer twisted apologetics to justify anything and everything you read in the Bible. These are mind games to me. An example would be: “it’s the devil causing you not to believe in “Original Sin” or not to believe in hell.”

I agree that something is very wrong! And I pose this question: Is there anything that “god” could do or say that would offend you? If your answer is “yes”, then you are probably being called to a higher truth. If your answer is “no” then you are buying the party line of Orthodoxy and the only way to find peace will be to bury yourself under piles of apologetics and believe what they teach you. Many choose this path because it is too painful or just too much trouble to do otherwise. Frankly, I understand this too.

To me, Personal Honesty is paramount, no matter where it leads. Life is a Journey and we are NOT all alike. Wishing you His Amazing Grace in all that you do!

In His Love, John
So much wisdom here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 09:09 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfraysse View Post
Brother BlueFly and Sister jojajn:

I believe you are RIGHT to challenge, investigate and even “own” the atrocities of Christian History if you are going to be associated with the religion. I think the problem is the Bible itself which presents an Evil god in the OT and then a distorted picture of Jesus and His Mission in the NT. Worse yet many Christians view the Bible as an idol. The trouble is that you can justify any vile act you like with the “word of god”. Also a serious look at early Christian History, especially the development of the Roman Catholic Church in the 4th Century, will show you how Christian Orthodoxy evolved and how many pagan customs and ideologies we have adopted as “truth”.

As a believer, I found that I had to move past “The Book” and the bondage of “having to be right”. Instead I decided to use God’s Spirit and my God-Given ability to reason to discern that which is good and evil. I still study the Bible, but with a Skeptical Eye. Even so, there are many, many wonderful lessons to learn! But, I decided long ago that I could no longer “spiritualize” all the “god” commanded or sanctioned evil. (murder, genocide, rape, child abuse, slavery and the subjugation of women). Sure, you are going to get lots of spiritually insecure folks who will not abide ANY questions or challenges and will offer twisted apologetics to justify anything and everything you read in the Bible. These are mind games to me. An example would be: “it’s the devil causing you not to believe in “Original Sin” or not to believe in hell.”

I agree that something is very wrong! And I pose this question: Is there anything that “god” could do or say that would offend you? If your answer is “yes”, then you are probably being called to a higher truth. If your answer is “no” then you are buying the party line of Orthodoxy and the only way to find peace will be to bury yourself under piles of apologetics and believe what they teach you. Many choose this path because it is too painful or just too much trouble to do otherwise. Frankly, I understand this too.

To me, Personal Honesty is paramount, no matter where it leads. Life is a Journey and we are NOT all alike. Wishing you His Amazing Grace in all that you do!

In His Love, John
Very wise, indeed.

I would add that it's important that we don't attach ourselves too greatly to the atrocities of our past, for that is where they reside.

For example, I think the founding of the United States and its underlying philosophy was nothing short of brilliant, but I will not deny the atrocities committed in the name of slavery and Native American genocide that evolved with our young nation.

The key is to find the wisdom underlying the failings of mankind. I don't know why some Christians believe humans are inherently wicked. I look into the eyes of my 4 and 2 year old and see nothing but God's light.

In that wisdom is the simple fact that the solution to our problems is simply love. No rules, no dogma, no belief. Simply tapping into pure love and seeing the face of what we call "God" in every aspect of life.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:38 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,303,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I would agree and add yet another example. Those who are in support of torture, for any reason, are not allowing Christ to direct their lives!

Old 06-01-2009, 09:38 AM

134 posts, read 169,061 times
BlueFly Wrote:
Quote:
I would add that it's important that we don't attach ourselves too greatly to the atrocities of our past, for that is where they reside.

For example, I think the founding of the United States and its underlying philosophy was nothing short of brilliant, but I will not deny the atrocities committed in the name of slavery and Native American genocide that evolved with our young nation.

The key is to find the wisdom underlying the failings of mankind. I don't know why some Christians believe humans are inherently wicked. I look into the eyes of my 4 and 2 year old and see nothing but God's light.

In that wisdom is the simple fact that the solution to our problems is simply love. No rules, no dogma, no belief. Simply tapping into pure love and seeing the face of what we call "God" in every aspect of life.
Absolutely! Amen, Bro!

Old 06-01-2009, 10:20 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,439,773 times
Quote:
Very often, throughout history, Christians have made ignorant judgments about the will of God which ultimately had horrific results.

The "Dark Ages" resulted from Christianity. One of the things that Christians accomplished after taking over Europe was to close down the aqueduct systems. The Christians believed it was serving the flesh and therefore sinful. These aqueducts were a very important contributor to public health. After the aqueducts were closed, disease and pestilence soon followed. The Christians then blamed the plagues on the peoples' sins.

The Myth of Christianity Founding Science and Medicine

The Christians cause disease and death just through there dogmatism!
The dark ages were not so dark. But, yes some bad things were done by some people at the time.

But think of the millions upon millions of people who have better drinking water and sanitation due to the missionary work that is taking place in their countries.

Back in the 80's I did some mission work and during the day we built cisterns, and tiled floors and any type of construction work, then we talked about God in the evenings or on the weekends.

Christian missionaries have done much good. In fact I have seen many missionaries from other religions do alot of good too.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:29 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,439,773 times
Quote:
When I reviewed the history of accounts of Christians killing throughout history, I was horrified! We are no better than any other religion.

How many people have been killed by Christians since Biblical times? - ExChristian.Net - Articles
And compared to the atrocities commited by non-christians: Hitler, Pol pot, Mao Tse-Tung, Ghengis Khan, Mussolini, Stalin, Lenin, etc....

I think, a few destroyed via-ducts is small damage in comparison.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
The dark ages were not so dark. But, yes some bad things were done by some people at the time.

But think of the millions upon millions of people who have better drinking water and sanitation due to the missionary work that is taking place in their countries.

Back in the 80's I did some mission work and during the day we built cisterns, and tiled floors and any type of construction work, then we talked about God in the evenings or on the weekends.

Christian missionaries have done much good. In fact I have seen many missionaries from other religions do alot of good too.
Dangling food and clean water in front of starving, desperate people in exchange for allegiance to one's cultural beliefs is a dubious practice, at best. I struggle to see the unconditional love in missionary work. I simply see a political recruitment campaign with some correlary benefits for the locals.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:36 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,068,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Dangling food and clean water in front of starving, desperate people in exchange for allegiance to one's cultural beliefs is a dubious practice, at best.

So is hijacking our school system and force-feeding vulnerable minds on garbage. But that doesn't stop our public schools from doing that, does it?

Old 06-01-2009, 12:10 PM

No, but that's only the lunch break. The food is improving. They soon enough get back to teaching science and educating young minds about the many different ways people live around the world so that the youth grow into analytical adults.

So don't worry, Kdbritch. We're getting past all these bigotries that afflict the undereducated. It just takes time.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:47 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
So is hijacking our school system and force-feeding vulnerable minds on garbage. But that doesn't stop our public schools from doing that, does it?
Could you be more specific about what you mean by "force-feeding vulnerable minds on garbage?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality