Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 10:51 AM

52 posts, read 76,444 times

Advertisements

If you look at it from a multiverse view. there has always been something, and there is another universe going through a big bang right now whilst anotheer universe is collapsing..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 10:52 AM

970 posts, read 1,700,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technodawg View Post
There was an experiment that was done with a person that was going to die. They weighed the bed and everything that person was on.. They found that at the moment of passing, less mass was registered on the scale they were using. That shows me that something that was in the body during life, was gone at death... and it had mass...
Please read this: snopes.com: Weight of the Soul

Old 07-23-2009, 11:01 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
A
All energy "wears out" after a time. Light disappates, elecricity can only be transmitted over so much distance, etc.
uh, no it doesn't. First law of Thermodynamics.

Your so-called "loss" of matter/energy is actually conversation as described the the first law of thermodynamics. It just that is appears as a loss to us as we cannot always measure this conversation.

For example, electricity appears to be able to be transmitted only over a certain distance, but that "loss" is actually miniscule conversation of electricity to heat through the wires in which it travels. Don't believe me? Run 100A of electricity through a wire rated for only 10A. The plastic will melt off the wire! That is conversation of electrical energy to heat.

The reason I mention this is that your theory you posit actually depends on the the First Law of Thermodynamics being true.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:07 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,915 times
Quote:
There was some research done that I believe answer the question of how life got started. They took a clean sterile flask and added water and other chemical that were believed to be what life needs to get started. They left it alone and nothing happened. The next thing they did was to introduce an electric spark into the experiment. That is when things took off. all the amino acids that are needed to produce life were instantly formed. And the single cell life started in this experiment soon after that.. It was energy that got things started. It was energy that the big bang basically came from. It is energy that holds everything together. Therefore I think, that in the beginning, there was only energy. From energy came matter. From matter came life which was already present in the form of energy.. After all when you think about it. conscience thought is nothing more than organized energy patterns....

There was an experiment that was done with a person that was going to die. They weighed the bed and everything that person was on.. They found that at the moment of passing, less mass was registered on the scale they were using. That shows me that something that was in the body during life, was gone at death... and it had mass...

To follow up on Roxolan's correction of your statement that a body loses mass at death (a throughly debunked myth)...

In those experiments attempting to replicate abiogenesis that you describe above...FYI: there were successful in generating some organic molecules under those conditions, but they HAVE NOT been successful in generating an life form from inorganic components (see bolded section above).

Old 07-23-2009, 11:25 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,414,512 times
Quote:
There was some research done that I believe answer the question of how life got started. They took a clean sterile flask and added water and other chemical that were believed to be what life needs to get started. They left it alone and nothing happened. The next thing they did was to introduce an electric spark into the experiment. That is when things took off. all the amino acids that are needed to produce life were instantly formed. And the single cell life started in this experiment soon after that.. It was energy that got things started. It was energy that the big bang basically came from. It is energy that holds everything together. Therefore I think, that in the beginning, there was only energy. From energy came matter. From matter came life which was already present in the form of energy.. After all when you think about it. conscience thought is nothing more than organized energy patterns....

I'm quite aware of the "experiment" and it turned out to be a complete fraud. Logic alone should've told you that. The soul, or spirit, is energy. Energy has no wieght and no mass.

And the Ulaf Experiment, the one you listed first, was a failure as well. Amino acids, certainly, but no bacteria. Mankind simply isn't going to create somthine that took millions of years for nature to accomplish.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:29 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,025,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evidence-is-key View Post
i see, so you don't even have an old book to call "evidence"!!!!
you have no evidence whatsoever for the existance of your God, aside from what the spirits directly/indirectly tell you......based on some of your previous posts.....btw, did i tell you how crazy that sounds?
I own a bible however, it collects dust.
The only evidence I have of God is His love as it flows into my soul. I am the only one who can know it's true. If you want to feel it, you'll need to do the work and ask for it. It's free and the only thing you have to give back is love to everyone you meet.

I like being crazy. It's the only way to get through this world unharmed!!

Old 07-23-2009, 12:28 PM

52 posts, read 76,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
I'm quite aware of the "experiment" and it turned out to be a complete fraud. Logic alone should've told you that. The soul, or spirit, is energy. Energy has no wieght and no mass.

And the Ulaf Experiment, the one you listed first, was a failure as well. Amino acids, certainly, but no bacteria. Mankind simply isn't going to create somthine that took millions of years for nature to accomplish.

Okay.. I'll give you that. I haven't followed through with a lot of those experiments in years. However. I don't think I can agree with energy not having any mass... especially since matter and energy are essential interchangeable. That is unless I have been lied to by college professors when it come to conservation of energy and conservation of matter

Old 07-23-2009, 02:11 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,414,512 times
Quote:
Okay.. I'll give you that. I haven't followed through with a lot of those experiments in years. However. I don't think I can agree with energy not having any mass... especially since matter and energy are essential interchangeable. That is unless I have been lied to by college professors when it come to conservation of energy and conservation of matter
Mass, of course, usually indicates weight, as well as effecting the observable reactions of matter, yes?

Iron has more "mass" than feathers, for example, to answer the age old thetorical question.

However, energy itself HAS no mass as it does not contain matter, it has no density. One cannot weight light, one cannot weight electrical current, correct?

Therefor, I propose that Spirit, being a form of energy, cannot have mass as it is not made up of solid matter.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:56 PM

970 posts, read 1,700,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi
Iron has more "mass" than feathers, for example, to answer the age old thetorical question.
Only if there are the same volume. That is the point of the question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi
However, energy itself HAS no mass as it does not contain matter, it has no density. One cannot weight light, one cannot weight electrical current, correct?

Therefor, I propose that Spirit, being a form of energy, cannot have mass as it is not made up of solid matter.
Scientific definition of energy: the capacity to do work. Massive objects have energy (following Einstein's famous formula, e = mc²) because (theoretically at least) you can create matter by spending a lot of energy and releasing energy by destroying matter (that's how nuclear powerplants work).

Now tell me, can "Spirit" be converted into another form of energy? Can it be used to do work? Could you, for example, build a spirit-powered dynamo?

Old 07-23-2009, 03:26 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,357,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evidence-is-key View Post
Is it better education in our schools? Is it more scientific evidence? is it just time?
what is going to open people's eyes and show them that the "stories" that they've been fed over the years about God, Heaven, and hell are nothing but fairytales and baseless fear tactics?
Some people will never be able to see beyond their own fear. I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned education. Science and exposure to wider cultural environments will let people see enough to question the religious frauds of today and the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality