Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 02:40 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,592,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Mickiel, It is the truth that is so appealing in Christianity. Not all that us Christians believe is 100% correct. But it is the core truth of the Life of Jesus Christ and his love for us humans that is what draws us. Jesus is truth.

Well if you think about what you are saying here, will God call out a church during these times that is not 100% correct? I don't think so, but faulty christians do, because they desire to be the called. I think the next church God calls out will be 100% correct, and nothingless. And let me tell you, their going to NEED to be! I don't think God has called out a Church of his own in many, many years. And it may be many more until he does, I just don't know.

But I don't see Christianity now as being Gods church. Now I will say this, " IF" I am wrong and they are a church of God, then they are like one of the churchs in Revelations 2 and 3, just a bad example of a church of God. A church just gone wrong and perverted.

I don't think the end time church of God will be imperfect, the world has enough of imperfection. I think this final stage of Gods church will be like a light set on a hill, everyone will KNOW they are righteous and different.

Peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 03:41 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,414,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pie in ear View Post
So if i can't explain by scientific method the existance of God it doesn't mean that God doesn't exist. It means that science can't explain it yet.

Wah lah.

thank YOU for explaining so clearly
When the ONLY basis for your creator god is your bible (which you claim shouldn't be taken litterally, BTW), the burden of proof is on you who follow that novel to prove your creator god exists.

YECers and Creationism/IDers have been trying for many, many years now, but to no avail.

Also, prior to the rise of Judeism some 3,000 years ago, there is NO mention made of your creator god in ANY archival or archeological evidences despites thousands of other Deities being present, so science once again steps up to the plate disproving your creator god.

I await your proof your creator god exists.

Oh wait, I've been waiting for quite awhile, on several threads, come to think of it.

Shall I just assume you don't have any then?

Old 09-09-2009, 03:54 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Mickiel, It is the truth that is so appealing in Christianity. Not all that us Christians believe is 100% correct. But it is the core truth of the Life of Jesus Christ and his love for us humans that is what draws us. Jesus is truth.
If truth were such an important part of christianity then your apologetic sites wouldn't be so full of lies, misinformation and propaganda now would they?

I will never trust a christian to be truthful to me when they cannot even be honest with themselves.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:40 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,592,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
If truth were such an important part of christianity then your apologetic sites wouldn't be so full of lies, misinformation and propaganda now would they?

I will never trust a christian to be truthful to me when they cannot even be honest with themselves.

I like this post because its symbolic of what I have seen myself. Here you get another aspect of the seduction of the christian mind. Here you have a people who like to think and fashion themselves, as being ambassordors or represenitives of Christ. And yet many of them are often not honest about things. Namely honest about themselves. But the " Label" they have taken on, " Christian", is really bigger than themselves, because it is supposed to represent God. So where their personal characther has not lived up to the label, they fell like its alright, because God forgives them. And yet if a sinner who does not believe in God, somehow does not receive this same forgiveness for their unbelief not meeting the standard, christians think that condemns unbelievers, as if Gods grace willnot apply to those who do not believe.

I find then a great seduction and watering down of Gods forgiveness, as it is applied to believers, and denied to unbelievers, who really need it more.

Peace.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:19 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Come now Thomas, we speak of faith in a god, not faith that something is accurate.

A rather lame attempt for you to compare apples to automobiles.
No, it's your narrow understanding of words or concepts that's lame.

Faith is a confidence or belief in something. To have faith in man's perception and ability to understand, through any method, is a form of faith. One not shared by many poets or authors. I think it may have been either Modernist or Postmodernist literature that was based some in the idea that the Universe is in some ways unknowable.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:25 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,414,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
No, it's your narrow understanding of words or concepts that's lame.

Faith is a confidence or belief in something. To have faith in man's perception and ability to understand, through any method, is a form of faith. One not shared by many poets or authors. I think it may have been either Modernist or Postmodernist literature that was based some in the idea that the Universe is in some ways unknowable.
"Narrow understanding"?

Hardly.

There is no "narrow uinderstanding" when taking words IN CONTEXT.

Indeed, it borders on intillectual dishonesty to equate relgiious faith with any "faith" involved in science.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
When the ONLY basis for your creator god is your bible (which you claim shouldn't be taken litterally, BTW), the burden of proof is on you who follow that novel to prove your creator god exists.

YECers and Creationism/IDers have been trying for many, many years now, but to no avail.

Also, prior to the rise of Judeism some 3,000 years ago, there is NO mention made of your creator god in ANY archival or archeological evidences despites thousands of other Deities being present, so science once again steps up to the plate disproving your creator god.

Oh wait, I've been waiting for quite awhile, on several threads, come to think of it.

The point about 3,000 years ago is, I grant you, intriguing. However in my case my faith or beliefs are not Sola Scriptura. So the beliefs are not based in the Bible alone.

It also involves 18 centuries of miracles and events. Since at least the eighteenth century a process involving investigation of miracles has been necessary for a saint to be canonized. There's also various Marian appearances, etc. There is no absolute proof, but very few things can be proved absolutely. Many things in life certainly can't be. (Art, love, justice, etc)

Old 09-10-2009, 12:09 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
It also involves 18 centuries of miracles and events.
...and what are the conclusions of those 18 centuries of miracles and events! If we look at Lourdes for example, it has an average of 5,000,000 visitors a year that are looking for miracle cures. So 5,000,000 visitors a year over 18 centuries is...ummmm, well a lot (anyone good at maths?). Yet in all those people going there and praying for a miracle cure for their affliction, the Catholic Church has only acknowledged 67 'unexplained happenings'. Not a very good record of success is it?

Old 09-10-2009, 03:26 AM

I don't personally think it's meant to be a major alternative to medicine. It's about God showing his presence to the world and helping specific people for a higher purpose. If even 500 were healed a year it might cause too much pandemonium or be too close to forcing people's hand on religion.

I grant 67 might seem too low, but I can kind of understand not disrupting nature more than necessary. If that's what the matter is, I don't know the mind of God.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:57 AM

168 posts, read 378,587 times
atheism - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

2 a : a disbelief in the existence of deity b : the doctrine that there is no deity

This is the definition of a pure atheist therefore they believe that there is no god. Many atheists wont face this pure definition, but its the truth and describes their belief perfectly. Therefore, they also have a burden to prove that god doesnt exist. They have no evidence of thsi at all so their belief is a strawman belief. Plus most theoretical physicists know today that during the precise moment of the big bang there needed to be a fine tuning of perfect of the 4 natural laws (gravity, Electromagnetic, strong nuclear and weak nuclear) to the point where if they were off even minutely the universe would collapse back into itself. There needed to be some purposeful force (an intelligent force) needed to fine tune the 4 natural forces during the big bang explosion. Atheists cant deny this and this is what the more intellectual theist debaters talk about now that stops the atheist in his tracks. This shows how rediculous alot of atheists think.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality