Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 02:32 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times

Advertisements

In 2004...Scientists scanning a galaxy 12 million light-years away with NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope detected copious amounts of nitrogen containing polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons molecules critical to all known forms of life.

PANHs carry information for DNA and RNA and are an important component of hemoglobin, the molecule that transports oxygen through the body. They also make chlorophyll, the main molecule responsible for photosynthesis in plants, and – perhaps most importantly – they're the main ingredient in caffeine and chocolate.

In 2009 An amino acid has been found on a comet for the first time, a new analysis of samples from NASA's Stardust mission reveals. The discovery confirms that some of the building blocks of life were delivered to the early Earth from space.

NASA Researchers Make First Discovery of Life's Building Block in Comet

Perhaps there are lots of life forms in the universe much older than earth's, and further I think it is possible that life on earth was actually seeded by these earlier forms of life...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 03:34 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,457,907 times
No. YHWH is LIFE/BREATH. He is uncreated, self existing, and unchanging and He exists in three Persons, and He is the father of all the spirits of all flesh.

He created earth first, as a body of water and in darkness, then light, on day 1 of his six evenings and mornings of creation week. Then He divided the water, separating the divided water by a stretched out firmament between them, on day 2 of the six evenings and mornings of creation week.
So there was no heaven/heavens until day 2, and the light "out there" is "from here", stretched out in the firmament on day 2.

Also, comets and asteroids are fragments of the destroyed earth, when at the flood of Noah, the fountains of the deep gushed forth into heaven and burst the mantle before them, hurling great chuncks of earth out into space, where they became orbiting bodies, orbiting with the firmament which orbits the stationary earth.

That is Bible language, and all creation is supernatural. All life is given to creation by the Creator, whose name is "LIFE", and all life is supernaturally sustained and will be supernaturally "melted" in its elements, and regenerated supernaturally for the new beginning of creation; which in the Word is the 8th day of creation, as to the measure of the thousand year days.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:11 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Perhaps there are lots of life forms in the universe much older than earth's, and further I think it is possible that life on earth was actually seeded by these earlier forms of life...
I can go along with half of that statement. There's no reason why other planets might have evolved life before ours; after all, Earth certainly wasn't the first planet to be formed. The sun is a relatively young star.

As to the seeding part of the deal...that's where you lost me. I tend to believe that life evolved on different planets independently. (Or, if one chooses to think of it another way, as part of a "grand plan." But without the seeding).

Old 09-10-2009, 04:25 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Its not unreasonable to believe that life came to this planet from "out there". However, I think that life also evolved independantly on this planet. Perhaps it was a mixture of both, who knows really.

It raises interesting questions, maybe one day we will find the answers.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Its not unreasonable to believe that life came to this planet from "out there". However, I think that life also evolved independantly on this planet. Perhaps it was a mixture of both, who knows really.

It raises interesting questions, maybe one day we will find the answers.
How odd.
The answers are given to us already by our Creator, and men prefer darkness to Light, and would prefer an alternative creation story so they make up fables about how it came to be!

Old 09-10-2009, 04:39 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,628,860 times
The question of the OP raises alot of other questions as well. If life did in fact begin on our planet did it only happen once or is it a process that continues to occur but we don't know what to look for? I don't claim to know the answer and at this point in our history I don't think anyone does. My feeling is that due to the vastness of the universe that we've never explored that it's likely that life exists in many places and is not confined to our tiny planet out in the middle of nowhere. Also, if life on earth originated from some other source than the earth itself then it only raises another question which is where did life originate from before it became established on the earth. I just don't know but I suspect that the basic ingredients required to establish life are very widespread and I tend to think that life on earth began on earth but I know that I can't prove that point, it's just an unscientific guess on my part.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:02 PM

"Today, a popular belief is that comets brought life to Earth. Instead, comets may have traces of life from Earth.3" In the Beginning: Compelling Evidence for Creation and the Flood - The Origin of Comets

In the Beginning: Compelling Evidence for Creation and the Flood - The Origin of Asteroids and Meteoroids
The Origin of Asteroids and Meteoroids

Old 09-10-2009, 06:15 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
The question of the OP raises alot of other questions as well. If life did in fact begin on our planet did it only happen once or is it a process that continues to occur but we don't know what to look for? I don't claim to know the answer and at this point in our history I don't think anyone does. My feeling is that due to the vastness of the universe that we've never explored that it's likely that life exists in many places and is not confined to our tiny planet out in the middle of nowhere. Also, if life on earth originated from some other source than the earth itself then it only raises another question which is where did life originate from before it became established on the earth. I just don't know but I suspect that the basic ingredients required to establish life are very widespread and I tend to think that life on earth began on earth but I know that I can't prove that point, it's just an unscientific guess on my part.
I agree the life here began here, but am wondering where the precursors of life (organic molecules and amino acids ) that are being found widespread in the universe came from. Were they always there as natural elements? Were they present on earth when it was formed, or was the earth seeded with them during the high impact era long ago?

So far we know universe is almost 15 billion years old and earth is young in comparison at around 4.5 billion years, so if these elements are natural and widespread life elsewhere would have a huge head start.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:51 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,640,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post

You raise some valid points. I'm inclined to think the ingredients for life are abundant throughtout the universe. However a single ingredient in and by itself won't constitute life. Although the molecules are vital for life, most likely life can only happen with the right blend of ingredients and combination of conditions.

It's very likely there's all kinds of life throughout the cosmos. The question of what kind of life would depend in a large part on the conditions. My guess is that primative single-celled forms of life are more abundant than higher forms of life, and that intelligent forms of life like humans are probably the rarest in comparison. If conditions on Earth had been any different than it was and is, then life forms might still exist, even fairly complex life forms, but intelligent life forms might not have had the opportunity to develop as it did. The right combination of conditions for complex and intelligent life might very well develop elsewhere around the galaxy and the universe, but the course of their development might also be different than that of the Earth, with the end results of some very different and possibly very strange looking kinds of intelligent forms of life.

I agree with you that life on Earth began on Earth. It was an extremely complex process with the right combination of ingredients and conditions that enabled it to turn out as it has.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:12 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,640,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I agree the life here began here, but am wondering where the precursors of life (organic molecules and amino acids ) that are being found widespread in the universe came from. Were they always there as natural elements? Were they present on earth when it was formed, or was the earth seeded with them during the high impact era long ago?

So far we know universe is almost 15 billion years old and earth is young in comparison at around 4.5 billion years, so if these elements are natural and widespread life elsewhere would have a huge head start.

Whether the elements were already present on the Earth when it formed or were seeded later on, the bottom line is that those elements would still have originally come from out there.

Life elsewhere might well have had a huge head start on us. That could be an advantage, but not necessarily producing the same results. There could well be planets with conditions different than those of Earth. For example, bacteria may have flourished on various planets for billions of years before life began on Earth, but perhaps never really managed to develop beyond that point because conditions were never really suitable for anything more complex than bacteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality