Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2020, 06:43 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,674,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
How fair is Christianity? A life long pedophile could change his life and start to live the righteous life, accepting Jesus Christ in his life and serving the lord giving him the possibility of the afterlife yet a Buddhist Monk could live his life not believing Jesus Christ at all and after death experience total annihilation or eternal hell. Pretty fair deal eh?
Its fair because it shows that we have a chance of redemption. That is totally fair.

There is are stances that are extreme, but for an atheist like me its about ... well, I don't know, I just arrange the meeting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2020, 09:57 AM

51,383 posts, read 24,773,097 times
Quote:
How fair is Christianity? A life long pedophile could change his life and start to live the righteous life, accepting Jesus Christ in his life and serving the lord giving him the possibility of the afterlife yet a Buddhist Monk could live his life not believing Jesus Christ at all and after death experience total annihilation or eternal hell. Pretty fair deal eh?

Old 12-08-2020, 11:09 AM

64,121 posts, read 40,445,108 times
Quote:
This is a response to the typical misunderstanding of religion that what is needed to be a Christian is to BELIEVE the specific things ABOUT Jesus and God in the dogma. That is NOT what is required. What is required is to "believe INTO" Jesus. That actually means to change your state of mind and think, feel, and act as closely to the way Jesus did in agape love of God and each other. It won't matter WHAT you were or believed if you do that.

Old 12-08-2020, 11:18 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,126,506 times
Quote:
Yes. That's right. That's the scandal of it. God saves not based on what we do, but based on faith. Your mistake is you seem to think a person can somehow be righteous without Jesus.

Old 12-08-2020, 11:22 AM

24,620 posts, read 19,263,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Its fair because it shows that we have a chance of redemption. That is totally fair.
After you die? What's the point?

And that presupposes the existence of an after-life and there is none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
If believers fought believers, the obvious conclusion is that religion was not the issue in the Civil War.
Religion could be the issue if it was a matter of interpretation.

The Orthodox interpretation is that there is no pope. The popes' interpretation is that Jesus told them there should be a pope.

That led to a couple of Crusades, numerous wars, a refusal by popes to use the Holy Roman Attack Dog to help Orthodox States free themselves from Ottoman occupation and the denigrating of Slavic peoples as Slaves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I know it was Paul who said that. I don't need an out, nor am I stuck with anything.
Then you freely admit no one has anyone of knowing what the Jesus-thing said and what Paul or any other writer said.

Good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
And I'm not a fundamentalist so don't talk to me as if I were. Paul's statement about not permitting a woman to have authority over a man is based on his belief that the creation story, in which Adam was created first, and then Eve, and that it was the woman who sinned first, was historically true (1 Tim. 2:13-14). But it wasn't historically true. As for women teaching in the church, while Paul said that he didn't permit a woman to speak he also recognized that women did prophesy in church but that a woman's head should be covered when doing so (1 Cor. 11:5-6).
What I'm hearing is a lame attempt to justify Paul's actions.

If Paul was filled with the spirit of the Jesus-thing, then why didn't the Jesus-thing tell Paul to shut up?

Was the Jesus-thing afraid to tell Paul to shut up?

What kind of god-thing would be afraid?

Why didn't the Jesus-thing realize how wrong he was and tell Paul to do it right?

Or, the Jesus-thing was really dead and didn't fill Paul with anything.

Old 12-08-2020, 11:32 AM

33,384 posts, read 26,705,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Then you freely admit no one has anyone of knowing what the Jesus-thing said and what Paul or any other writer said.

Good.

If Paul was filled with the spirit of the Jesus-thing, then why didn't the Jesus-thing tell Paul to shut up?

Why didn't the Jesus-thing realize how wrong he was and tell Paul to do it right?

No, you wanabe know-it-all. I didn't admit any such thing. Do not put words in my mouth. You're hearing what you want to hear. The facts be damned.

Last edited by Michael Way; 12-08-2020 at 12:05 PM..

Old 12-08-2020, 11:41 AM

64,121 posts, read 40,445,108 times
Quote:
Good.

Mircea, Your prior posts excoriating unfairness in racism and such makes me wonder why you would engage in similar unfair and bigoted discussion tactics. Your use of Jesus-thing is no different than a redneck using "Boy" to refer to a mature black man. Shame on you.

Old 12-08-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
After you die? What's the point?

nipped for space ...
is it fair or not was the question.

People have a chance at redemption. That is fair is all I was saying.

Old 12-08-2020, 11:46 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,423,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is a response to the typical misunderstanding of religion that what is needed to be a Christian is to BELIEVE the specific things ABOUT Jesus and God in the dogma. That is NOT what is required. What is required is to "believe INTO" Jesus. That actually means to change your state of mind and think, feel, and act as closely to the way Jesus did in agape love of God and each other. It won't matter WHAT you were or believed if you do that.
SO the pedophile could believe INTO Jesus and receive eternal life and the Buddhist Monk who doesn't believe INTO Jesus doesn't get the reward of eternal life. GOT IT!!

Old 12-08-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
SO the pedophile could believe INTO Jesus and receive eternal life and the Buddhist Monk who doesn't believe INTO Jesus doesn't get the reward of eternal life. GOT IT!!
If you die. And you find out the monk could do no other thing but his soul wouldn't do that and sees it as wrong.

Yes, it wouldn't make eternal hell logical, rational, nor "fair."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality