Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 01:14 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,213,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
For one, how do you know this.
And two, so the bible is wrong?
The bible isn't wrong....it's mans interpretation of the bible that is wrong. Its a book written by men...not the finger of God as some propose...but has very deep spiritual layers to the stories and allegories presented in it.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:33 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
The bible isn't wrong....it's mans interpretation of the bible that is wrong. Its a book written by men...not the finger of God as some propose...but has very deep spiritual layers to the stories and allegories presented in it.
Oh

It is just amazing to me that SO MANY different interpretations exist for this book. Cracks me up.

Man is fallible, there myths and fairy tales just don't jive.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:51 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,637,703 times
Quote:
It's an allegory....while I'm sure there was some type of local flood....it was not how it was described in the bible.

I would find that to be a much more plausible scenario. From the perspective of anyone in the vicinity at the time, it might well have seemed like the entire world was being flooded. Following multiple generations of recounting the tale, the story could easily change in its details.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:13 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,752,801 times
Exclamation Appointed Time

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Quoting scripture to atheists is as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. WE don't believe the Bible is true. If we did we wouldn't be here having this conversation would we?

Precisely!!

Jesus said how is it that we can predict Global Warming, but we cannot predict the signs of the times? You say you do not believe the word of God, yet you stand here today to have this conversation then, the word of God does exist! because you can have this coversation.
The "Bible"

We read in Gen 18:14 (KJV) Is any thing too hard for the LORD? At the time appointed I will return unto thee, according to the time of life,

Ex 9:5 (KJV) And the LORD appointed a set time, saying, To morrow the LORD shall do this thing in the land.

Ex 23:15 (KJV) Thou shalt keep the feast of unleavened bread: (thou shalt eat unleavened bread seven days, as I commanded thee, in the time appointed of the month Abib; for in it thou camest out from Egypt: and none shall appear before me empty

Ezra 10:14 (KJV) Let now our rulers of all the congregation stand, and let all them which have taken strange wives in our cities come at appointed times, and with them the elders of every city, and the judges thereof, until the fierce wrath of our God for this matter be turned from us.

Neh 13:31 (KJV) at times appointed, and for the first fruits. Remember me, O my God, for good.

Job 7:1 (KJV) Is there not an appointed time to man upon earth? are not his days also like the days of an hireling?

Job 14:13-15 (KJV) O that thou wouldest hide me in the grave, that thou wouldest keep me secret, until thy wrath be past, that thou wouldest appoint me a set time, and remember me!
If a man die, shall he live again? all the days of my appointed time will I wait, till my change come.
Thou shalt call, and I will answer thee: thou wilt have a desire to the work of thine hands.

Psalms 81:1-3 (KJV) Sing aloud unto God our strength: make a joyful noise unto the God of Jacob.
Take a psalm, and bring hither the timbrel, the pleasant harp with the psaltery.
Blow up the trumpet in the new moon, in the time appointed, on our solemn feast day.

Isaiah 14:31-32 (KJV) Howl, O gate; cry, O city; thou, whole Palestina, art dissolved: for there shall come from the north a smoke, and none shall be alone in his appointed times.
What shall one then answer the messengers of the nation? That the LORD hath founded Zion, and the poor of his people shall trust in it.

Jer 8:7 (KJV) Yea, the stork in the heaven knoweth her appointed times; and the turtle and the crane and the swallow observe the time of their coming; but my people know not the judgment of the LORD.
Dan 8:19 (KJV) Behold, I will make thee know what shall be in the last end of the indignation: for at the time appointed the end shall be.

Acts 17:24-31 (KJV) God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;
Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;
And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:
For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.
And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:54 PM

6,952 posts, read 6,877,619 times
THINK......LISTEN.......LEARN..... dont spout scripture. Do you stand on street corners and do this?

It is the difference betweeen knowledge and information. Knowledge is information applied to the real world, but information alone is useless except for passing exams.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:57 PM

6,952 posts, read 6,877,619 times
Maybe what we need to do is to divorce the story of the Ark from the Bible and take it as a archeological find (or not, as the case may be). If it was separate from a religious belief and not a religious artifact(like a finger bone of a saint) at all, we would all be able to discuss this in a reasonable and scientific way.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:39 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Maybe what we need to do is to divorce the story of the Ark from the Bible and take it as a archeological find (or not, as the case may be). If it was separate from a religious belief and not a religious artifact(like a finger bone of a saint) at all, we would all be able to discuss this in a reasonable and scientific way.
Been attempted, done and discussed to all ends. The fundie theists refuse to even consider any fact that doesn't jive with their myth as told in their buybull.

If you have a way to encourage them to discuss sans religion, bring it on.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:05 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
First, I view the bible as a complete book of fables, fiction, and urban legends. Now the urban legends may well be rooted in events that have occurred at some time in history.

We know floods happen, we see them today, and we can find physical evidence of floods that occurred in the past.

Sometimes the floods are 100 year floods, or 500 or 1000 year floods, meaning the far surpass the 'average' flood. From one of these, there is a distinct one of the big ones was recorded as an urban legend based on a real flood.

I still have a problem with 'gawd' told noah to build a big boat and place 2 of every single species on the boat, primarily because 'gawd' is imaginary. Now did Noah have a boat/barge because he lived near a river, possible. When the floods came did he get his stock and family aboard, possible, thus the fable/urban legend.

Then along come the delusional that interpret the fable/urban legend as absolute fact, and that all 6 million species were collected in pairs and brought aboard on a boat that a man and his son's were able to build by hand, plus all the food, water, etc. etc. etc. for all 6+ million species to survive for an extended period of time.

Then in 40 days we had 5 miles of rain, enough to cover the tallest mountains, then it all 'went away' in a few months Their denial is so complete that if you ask them a common sense question, they just go off on some tangent making up more nonsense.

Sorry, I just can't take these people seriously, or give any creditability to anything they say. The mental disconnect from reason and reality is complete as to make one wonder how these people function in the real world.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:09 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Creationist sites lie...Plain and simple...Stories being published for years do not lend credibility to them if they are fiction to begin with.

For instance that site tells of a plesiosaur caught by a Japanese fishing vessel, when in fact it is well known that it was nothing more than a rotting basking shark.
Creationist lies? IT was Professor Tokio Shikama from Japan who still believes it to be a plesiosaur. And that was based on chemical analysis, and the fact, that the creature had a well defined spinal column, no dorsal fin, and a small head. Hear again, just like the evidence for the existance of Noahs Ark, you dismiss obvious evidence, for personal opinion.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:30 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Quoting scripture to atheists is as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. WE don't believe the Bible is true. If we did we wouldn't be here having this conversation would we?
.......and we get!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWordIsOne View Post
We read in Gen 18:14 (KJV) Is any thing too hard for the LORD? At the time appointed I will return unto thee, according to the time of life,

Ex 9:5 (KJV) And the LORD appointed a set time, saying, To morrow the LORD shall do this thing in the land.

Ex 23:15 (KJV) Thou shalt keep the feast of unleavened bread: (thou shalt eat unleavened bread seven days, as I commanded thee, in the time appointed of the month Abib; for in it thou camest out from Egypt: and none shall appear before me empty

Ezra 10:14 (KJV) Let now our rulers of all the congregation stand, and let all them which have taken strange wives in our cities come at appointed times, and with them the elders of every city, and the judges thereof, until the fierce wrath of our God for this matter be turned from us.

Neh 13:31 (KJV) at times appointed, and for the first fruits. Remember me, O my God, for good.

Job 7:1 (KJV) Is there not an appointed time to man upon earth? are not his days also like the days of an hireling?

Job 14:13-15 (KJV) O that thou wouldest hide me in the grave, that thou wouldest keep me secret, until thy wrath be past, that thou wouldest appoint me a set time, and remember me!
If a man die, shall he live again? all the days of my appointed time will I wait, till my change come.
Thou shalt call, and I will answer thee: thou wilt have a desire to the work of thine hands.

..............Blah! Blah! Ah well!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality