Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2009, 07:22 PM

73 posts, read 119,550 times

Advertisements

still going......

Old 12-11-2009, 07:32 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,187,640 times
You know the best way to disprove the ark story? Look at the ark measurements as detailed in the Bible, add up how much square footage there was on the thing, and then add up how big all of the species of the world would be if put together. If A is much smaller than B then it discredits the whole story. For example, I doubt that a male and female elephant could survive in a 1 x 1 inch area.

How about somebody do this quick calculation?

Old 12-11-2009, 09:27 PM

Ok, here's what I came up with:

According to this link the ark had an area of 1,518,000 cubic ft.

How BIG was Noah's Ark?

A. I have taken into account four types of land animals:

1. Reptiles (8,200 species). I estimate that a 1x1x1 area would be needed for each species (on average). This would add up to 8,200 cubic ft.

2. Mammals (5,400 species). I estimate that a 4x4x4 area would be needed for each species (on average). This adds up to 86,400 cubic feet.

3. Birds (10,000 species). I estimate that a 2x2x2 area would be needed for each species (on average). This adds up to 80,000 cubic feet.

4. Amphibians (6,000 species). I estimate that a 1x1x1 area would be needed for each species (on average). This adds up to 6,000 cubic feet.

5. What about fresh water fish? I assume that the flood was comprised of salt water, and therefore Noah had to store all species of fresh water fish. I will however omit this.

Total area needed for animal storage - 180,600 cubic feet

B. Storage areas for food and water for the animals:

1. I estimate that an equivalent amount of space would be needed to store sustenance as would be needed to store the animals.

Total amount needed for food and water - 180,600 cubic feet

C. Walkways to get to the animals

1. I assume that there were walkways that were three feet wide and that ran the length of the ark.

Total amount needed for walkways - 3x45x450 = 60,750 cubic feet

So far I have 421,950 cubic feet needed out of 1,518,000. Granted I made some guesses and extrapolations, but it does appear feasible according to my calculation. That doesn't mean I think it happened though.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:45 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,457,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Ok, here's what I came up with:

According to this link the ark had an area of 1,518,000 cubic ft.

How BIG was Noah's Ark?

A. I have taken into account four types of land animals:

1. Reptiles (8,200 species). I estimate that a 1x1x1 area would be needed for each species (on average). This would add up to 8,200 cubic ft.

2. Mammals (5,400 species). I estimate that a 4x4x4 area would be needed for each species (on average). This adds up to 86,400 cubic feet.

3. Birds (10,000 species). I estimate that a 2x2x2 area would be needed for each species (on average). This adds up to 80,000 cubic feet.

4. Amphibians (6,000 species). I estimate that a 1x1x1 area would be needed for each species (on average). This adds up to 6,000 cubic feet.

5. What about fresh water fish? I assume that the flood was comprised of salt water, and therefore Noah had to store all species of fresh water fish. I will however omit this.

Total area needed for animal storage - 180,600 cubic feet

B. Storage areas for food and water for the animals:

1. I estimate that an equivalent amount of space would be needed to store sustenance as would be needed to store the animals.

Total amount needed for food and water - 180,600 cubic feet

C. Walkways to get to the animals

1. I assume that there were walkways that were three feet wide and that ran the length of the ark.

Total amount needed for walkways - 3x45x450 = 60,750 cubic feet

So far I have 421,950 cubic feet needed out of 1,518,000. Granted I made some guesses and extrapolations, but it does appear feasible according to my calculation. That doesn't mean I think it happened though.
The poop. You forgot about the poop. How many cubic feet will be occupied by poop? And the hay or sawdust or kitty litter to line the pens with. You will need a lot of that.
How will you get all that waste off the ark? You won't be able to shovel it out the vents, with the rain pouring in at 6 inches per minute.
The ark would fill with animal waste before the flood ended.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:05 PM

Don't you think that it would have been very easy for the doomed men to grab axes and hack into the ark in an attempt to jump on or at least take Noah with them?

I also like the argument about how an omnipotent God who created the earth and everything on it and who routinely struck people dead was incapable of just killing off all of the wicked people.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:47 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,651,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post

Feasible? Are you sure?

But wait! There's more! Since the Ark had three levels, the wood used between levels would certainly take up space, not to mention would also need to be beefed up in order to support the weight of animals like elephants, rhinos, hippos, water buffalos, bison, giraffes, gorillas and other primates, lions, tigers and bears (oh my). And yes, a few dinosaurs and other prehistoric beasts (for Campbell's benefit) tossed in. I have no idea how a pair of brontos, t-rexs, steggies, triceratops, mastodons, mammoths, etc., would all fit in. Those decks would have to be very thick and strong just to support the weight of the large animals. That's not counting all the animals that are smaller.

While it's commonly thought the animals were only in single pairs, that was just for the unclean animals. Clean animals and birds were allowed on board in 7 pairs. Who knows how many varieties there were of those? The numbers start adding up rather significantly. The Ark would have to have very thick floors to support all those animals. And thicker floors means less space.

Only one door is mentioned for the Ark. However, since there were three levels in the Ark, that'd mean you'd need to have access holes and heavy wide ramps to get larger animals to other levels, as well as hauling all the food those animals would need to eat. Presumably, there'd need to be large hatches up and down the length of the Ark to raise or lower food, straw, etc.

The stench from all the poo, etc, piling up would have to be overwhelming, especially since the vents would have to be closed. And if the vents are on top of the Ark, how do you ventilate the lower levels? Even if there was some way to toss it overboard, how would it be possible with only a few people on board? And if that isn't enough, no doubt there'd be plenty of fleas and parasites hitching a ride on the critters. Noah and the family would be constantly itching and scratching.

It all requires a tremendous of use of space, meaning there'd be less of it available to house all the animals. The total cubic footage of the interior would be even less.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:14 PM

33,575 posts, read 37,212,408 times
Don't forget the fresh water needed...All those animals need to drink water....Remember they are floating in mostly salt water..

One pair of elephants would require 11,000 gallons of water and 22,500 pounds of food and will excrete about 12,000 pounds for the duration of the flood.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:24 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,588,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Don't forget the fresh water needed...All those animals need to drink water....Remember they are floating in mostly salt water..

One pair of elephants would require 11,000 gallons of water and 22,500 pounds of food and will excrete about 12,000 pounds for the duration of the flood.
They definitely had plenty of water.LOL!

Old 12-11-2009, 11:38 PM

33,575 posts, read 37,212,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
They definitely had plenty of water.LOL!
Ever try to drink from the ocean? I know it supposedly rained for 40 days, so water wouldn't have been a problem then, but what about the other 140 days afloat?

Old 12-12-2009, 06:59 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,982,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Nope. Here's what I'm going to do:

1) So what that there might be an ancient submerged pyramid there? Does that prove, and I mean PROVE, anything to you as regards your impossible Noah's global flood? Could it POSSIBLY have been submerged by any other possible means, Tom? No you say? No other possible way at all?

Also, the doctor you quote way back in 1999 recently (2008) said this: "Robert Schoch, a geologist at the University of Boston who has dived at Yonaguni many times, thinks the formations are mostly natural."

2) this, from the very site you pointed me to, and I quote:

So.. A dive done originally 24 years ago, and with one follow-up 10 years later by someone else who after subsequent dives concluded the formations were mostly natural, and with absolutely no subsequent follow-up that I could find anywhere on the 'net. Differing opinions of the structure. One scientist, with no follow-up is all it takes?

But even if it is a pyramid, it dates back to about 12,000 years ago, which doesn't quite ring with your other YEC timeline, but OK; for now let's ignore that part. As well, a simple pyramid does not mean your requisite "advanced civilization", BTW. Sheesh!

This is what you call absolute proof of WHAT again?

Well thanks for that. (you know, I've suggested to you previously, Tom, that you should follow up with some minimal research on your own links, especially those that are over 5 years old. In this case, the info you provided was from a non-credible popularist site, dated 1999. That's sorta getting old, old buddy! {This continues to be too easy!})

Again: All this has been previously asked and answered. And all debunked. RESULT:

EPIC FAIL III.
Robert M. Schoch does not believe the Monument is an artificial structure, however, he dose say that in his opinion, it may have been modified by human actions in ancient times. And he also believes the structure merits more detailed examination. I have no evidence that Schoch has changed his mind on that belief. Also, there have been many dates suggested to it's age. So it could very well be from the time of the flood. And if this was the only such structure found, one could make an arguements against a global flood, yet this is not the case. And other structures are being uncovered from much greater depths. And these structures cannot be explained away either.

Aliens the Truth - World Mysteries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality